Sony release a walkman

msknight

The good news - Sony release an anniversary walkman. The bad news, it doesn't do cassette.

It apparently "evokes the original character of vinyl into your digital tracks" using a "Vinyl Processor"... yeah... right.

Sony didn't actually create the walkman. It was called the "Stereo Belt" and was invented by German-Brazilian Andreas Pavel - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereobelt

My preference was Aiwa, and I do repair them, but they went to the wall some time ago. Only the name lives on. So cassette walkman lovers have been watching Sony for some time... what has come is, in the world of today's DAPs, a little disappointing, to be perfectly honest.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Was this made to compete with the zune?

1160973227_tenor(15).gif.8a5c5b704ffacd82b2f9ae83cf820ce5.gif

it was made to compete with the galaxy player

Just now, lewdicrous said:

With the recent resurgence in audio cassette tape, helped in part by Guardians Of The Galaxy, some (me included) were looking to Sony to create an anniversary cassette walkman. That, would have been something worth waiting for and possibly producing in limited numbers... but this is just a me-too device in my personal opinion.

Cassette never really went away. The Indi music scene has been using them to get their music into the hands of fans at events, as duplication is much, much cheaper than CD and especially vinyl. With the advent of digital duplicator bins, the quality of mass produced cassettes was on the rise as well. New cassette decks have been coming out of China, but nothing even like the quality of the older units. So the timing would have been right for Sony to have released a cassette walkman. But, I guess that isn't going to happen.

For people who want more info, National Audio are the company that are creating new audio tape... as existing stocks of tape are nearly exhausted.

Here is a recording played back on an Aiwa that I've refurbished... a far cry from the hissy stuff that people remember.... and this is the reason why people were looking to Sony to give us a modern, new cassette player. It's sad that this opportunity was missed. Permission obtained for the audio used, as indicated. Video is not monetised.

18 minutes ago, msknight said:

Cassette never really went away. The Indi music scene has been using them to get their music into the hands of fans at events, as duplication is much, much cheaper than CD and especially vinyl.

You're joking, right?

You can get audio cd's made for less than half a dollar.... the cassette tape alone costs around 20-30 cents... more if you want good quality tape.

ex CD Baby does 500 discs with printed stuff on them plus color covers for around $600 for 500 discs, discounts for higher quantities : https://duplication.cdbaby.com/quoter/default.aspx

Disc Factory does it for 380 uk pounds (~470$) : https://www.discfactory.co.uk/replication-quote/

A local Romanian IT magazine used a Hungarian replication company to make their discs and even back then they were super cheap... this is the page: http://www.vtcd.hu/index.php?module=arajanlat_cd

Nowadays it's enough to google "cd duplication" or "cd replication' and you find loads of options, certainly cheaper and higher quality (not 20 cents audio cassettes made in china or india with poor quality tape)

Just now, mariushm said:

You're joking, right?

You can get audio cd's made for less than half a dollar.... the cassette tape alone costs around 20-30 cents... more if you want good quality tape.

No, I'm not joking. The indies generally do small runs of tens of cassettes, and do small re-runs as needed.

Just now, msknight said:

No, I'm not joking. The indies generally do small runs of tens of cassettes, and do small re-runs as needed.

Well, they're dumb then...  it's often cheaper even if you're doing batches of 100 (with minimal printing on disc) and buying your own plastic cases from a distributor to save on the shipping costs from the replication company.

Feels more like they're using cassettes to be special or different.

There are other reasons... here is one article on one band and why.... and there are more articles from more bands as to their reasons.  Key among this is

"It was a cheap alternative to putting out an analogue release. So we invested a couple of hundred dollars and made a hundred cassette tapes, and we dubbed them ourselves"

https://www.westword.com/music/rising-indie-band-lvl-up-on-why-it-released-music-on-cassette-tapes-8832458

23 minutes ago, msknight said:

There are other reasons... here is one article on one band and why.... and there are more articles from more bands as to their reasons.  Key among this is

https://www.westword.com/music/rising-indie-band-lvl-up-on-why-it-released-music-on-cassette-tapes-8832458

If they're using cassette as an alternative to printing vinyl's, sure - that makes sense.

But as a cheaper alternative to CD's, there's no way you can get cassette's cheaper than CD's. Hell you can make your own for pennies ($16 for 100-pack of CD-R's) - but even if you use a CD production company, as posted above it's still very cheap.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, msknight said:

With the recent resurgence in audio cassette tape, helped in part by Guardians Of The Galaxy, some (me included) were looking to Sony to create an anniversary cassette walkman. That, would have been something worth waiting for and possibly producing in limited numbers... but this is just a me-too device in my personal opinion.

Cassette never really went away. The Indi music scene has been using them to get their music into the hands of fans at events, as duplication is much, much cheaper than CD and especially vinyl. With the advent of digital duplicator bins, the quality of mass produced cassettes was on the rise as well. New cassette decks have been coming out of China, but nothing even like the quality of the older units. So the timing would have been right for Sony to have released a cassette walkman. But, I guess that isn't going to happen.

The problem with that would be that Sony would have to dedicate both factory and engineering time to create a proper cassette mechanism. 

Else they would be tied to the Tanashin mechanisms that have monopoly on cassette mechanism right now. While they do come in a varity of quality options, a Sony player would not really be any better than the players you can buy for $8 on AliExpress.   

Would I have liked to see Sony make an actual cassette Walkman? Sure, but I would never be willing to pay the premium such an endevour would demand. I'll stick to my old JVC and Sansui home decks for the time being.   

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 hour ago, msknight said:

Do you watch Techmoan by any chance? Literally one company makes cassette mechanisms these days. Any device you buy that plays cassettes is using the exact same mechanism and it's very obviously made as cheaply as possible. Even brand new out of box they sound horrible and Mat has even had occasions where brand new cassette players have arrived with broken cogs and gears.

There's no way Sony would use a cheap Chinese mechanism in a Walkman and even less chance they'll start making their own cassette mechanisms again.

There's been a resurgence in people buying cassettes but no where near enough to warrant production of new players, not decent players anyway.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

The problem with that would be that Sony would have to dedicate both factory and engineering time to create a proper cassette mechanism. 

Else they would be tied to the Tanashin mechanisms that have monopoly on cassette mechanism right now. While they do come in a varity of quality options, a Sony player would not really be any better than the players you can buy for $8 on AliExpress.   

Would I have liked to see Sony make an actual cassette Walkman? Sure, but I would never be willing to pay the premium such an endevour would demand. I'll stick to my old JVC and Sansui home decks for the time being.   

You Ninjad me by 1 minute ?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

38 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You Ninjad me by 1 minute ?

I like to think clever minds think alike. 

Granted, your post is much better worded than my, in hindsigt, garbled mess. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Mind you Sony has been selling walkmans as DAC players for awhile.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

walkmans were never great though. i had a few when i was a kid and they were shit compared to the awesome player in my hifi system now. 

She/Her

Ooooh. Very interesting. I wonder how this will compare to the new HiBy R5. It already seems to beat it on battery life, which is a huge plus for me.

Also the fact that it has WiFi, Bluetooth, etc is awesome. Usually a device will be missing one of them.

Might have to pick this one up, provided it's not too high on pricing.

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman-digital-music-players/t/walkman

*inhale talk* this won't be cheap (it's the A100 in the list)

I don't think it'll be tooo bad. I figure around $500, which is pretty reasonable for a device like this. Interestingly I've always noticed when Sony puts out something with a lot of color options, chances are it won't be that expensive. With more colorways there's a greater chance of dead inventory, so generally their investment is lower.

24 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What can it do that a phone cant do?

Many phones have great DAC, and anything running Oreo or later natively supports LDAC

Better DAC/amp. Plus, personally, during a party I don't have to hand someone my phone to change tracks.

If you don't get it, it's not really meant for you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman-digital-music-players/t/walkman

*inhale talk* this won't be cheap (it's the A100 in the list)

What a prices.

I will still continue holding on and keeping alive my Sony Walkman D-NE511 MP3-CD player, at least it has changeable memory and expansion to the memory came as a CD-case for 20 CDs with it as bonus back in the early 2000s (that's 14.7GB worth of music right there). It has also standardized and widely available changeable power source called "AA batteries" :D

As much as I'm for nostalgia and pretty much grew up with them, I'm glad cassettes and CD's died. 32GB USB in my car and I have all of it there. Before I had my whole glove box full of stuff and it was just terrible. Also walkman eating batteries like crazy because I used 120+ cassettes to mitigate having to carry tons of them was annoying.

3 hours ago, msknight said:

Here is a recording played back on an Aiwa that I've refurbished... a far cry from the hissy stuff that people remember.... and this is the reason why people were looking to Sony to give us a modern, new cassette player. It's sad that this opportunity was missed. Permission obtained for the audio used, as indicated. Video is not monetised.

One of the nicer portable tape players back in the day...I'd kill for a decent tape based "walkman"...by any manufacturer.

I feel sorry for Pavel,  but the reality is he never really invented anything groundbreaking.  He took an existing product and stuck it to a belt then improved the headphones.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I feel sorry for Pavel,  but the reality is he never really invented anything groundbreaking.  He took an existing product and stuck it to a belt then improved the headphones.

Why does that make you feel sorry for him?

Inventing an excellent evolutionary (rather than revolutionary) product is still a good thing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Zune is still solid as of 2019.

Not as a modded iPod Classic, though.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why does that make you feel sorry for him?

Inventing an excellent evolutionary (rather than revolutionary) product is still a good thing.

Because he put a lot of time into something but it wasn't good enough to warrant the patent and it cost him millions in the end when he took sony to court and lost.

I mean, I guess he might have just been patent trolling, but his patent was early on in the days of portable audio and I don't know him, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.