Toshiba Introduces New Tiny NVMe SSD Form Factor

PeterBocan

At the Flash Memory Summit today, Toshiba introduced a new form factor for NVMe SSDs that is small enough to be a removable alternative to soldered-down BGA SSDs. "The new XFMEXPRESS form factor allows for two or four PCIe lanes while taking up much less space than even the smallest M.2 22x30mm card size," reports AnandTech. "The XFMEXPRESS card size is 18x14x1.4mm, slightly larger and thicker than a microSD card. It mounts into a latching socket that increases the footprint up to 22.2x17.75x2.2mm." 

XFMEXPRESS is intended to bring the benefits of replaceable storage to devices that would normally be stuck with soldered BGA SSDs or eMMC and UFS modules. For consumer devices this opens the way for aftermarket capacity upgrades, and for embedded devices that need to be serviceable this can permit smaller overall dimensions. Device manufacturers also get a bit of supply chain flexibility since storage capacity can be adjusted later in the assembly process. XFMEXPRESS is not intended to be used as an externally-accessible slot like SD cards; swapping out an XFMEXPRESS SSD will require opening up the case of the device it's installed in, though unlike M.2 SSDs the XFMEXPRESS socket and retention mechanism itself is tool-less. 

I am actually pretty stoked about this news as some notebook vendors, *cough*Apple*cough*, could stop soldering their SSDs into Motherboards.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/19/08/06/1911212/toshiba-introduces-new-tiny-nvme-ssd-form-factor

I'd drop my SSD in my case and never find it ever again if it was that small :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

Apple

Just so you know, Apple isn't the only one soldering SSDs to the motherboard.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Just so you know, Apple isn't the only one soldering SSDs to the motherboard.

Yes, but I own Apple product and I could not say the other brand names.

5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It may be good to have something like this, but remember:

standards.png

Agreed, but there's a need for a little advancement.

Do we REALLY need a smaller nvme drive setups? I recently worked on my younger sister's Dell G3. The internal 256GB m.2 SSD was about the size of a dime. 

At this point we're just asking to lose full size SSDs as if they were micro SD cards.

I am taking a stand right now that I should not be able to lose an SSD on the floor or in a couch.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

Do we REALLY need a smaller nvme drive setups? I recently worked on my younger sister's Dell G3. The internal 256GB m.2 SSD was the size of a dime. 

At this point we're just asking to lose full size SSDs as if they were micro SD cards.

I am taking a stand right now that I should not be able to lose an SSD on the floor or in a couch.

it may come in handy. Tablets? Cell Phones? IoT devices?

Seems really cool! However the coverhinge thing looks very fragile/flimsy. A more robust solution with screw(s) would be better.

Either way, this is definitely a step in the right direction, as it could make small form-factor motherboards even smaller, as well as allows for packing more features on bigger motherboards!

With regards to Apple, they will find a way to either ignore or ruin this.

11 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

it may come in handy. Tablets? Cell Phones? IoT devices?

Tablets would be the only thing worth considering this for, and even then it's unlikely it'll be replaceable anyway considering how unserviceable tablets are to begin with. PCIe is a little too power hungry for phones and IoT.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

40 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

Yes, but I own Apple product and I could not say the other brand names.

Microsoft, Dell, Samsung, Lenovo are examples of OEMs who solder the storage to the motherboard

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

59 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

I am actually pretty stoked about this news as some notebook vendors, *cough*Apple*cough*, could stop soldering their SSDs into Motherboards.

I doubt they will. If size was really the reason they made SSDs soldered in, then how come other laptops of a similar size ( such as dell xps 13 ) have upgradeable SSD's? Apple just doesn't want you to open up their laptops in general

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Huh. Cool.

I don't expect this to be used to replace soldering, but still, cool.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's not like microSD Express already exists or anything

Sirius had an affair? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Tablets would be the only thing worth considering this for, and even then it's unlikely it'll be replaceable anyway considering how unserviceable tablets are to begin with. PCIe is a little too power hungry for phones and IoT.

IPhones use PCIe for storage, and NVME at that. Pretty certain the interface is plenty low power for small devices. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 hours ago, PeterBocan said:

AFAIK, soldering components was also due to some legal cases from their competitors. It's not so clearcut. Unless such new designs are completely free and open, hardware manufacturers won't adopt these.

11 hours ago, PeterBocan said:

Would make no change at all. Apple uses the "excuse" of security to solder it on. Even if it wouldn't be soldered you can still not replace the SSD since it has to match with the T2 chip.

Is it for phones? Because I doubt it will have higher data density than m2 with the same NAND quality, so at first I was thinking of more storage space in laptops, but having 10 connectors isn't really feasible. I guess ultrabooks and other smallest kind of devices could utilise it and it's always nice not to have to solder things.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

They should have made it into Sd card form factor and team up with a fellow camera maker like Sony, to give the SSD an immediate purpose and market. Its not going to sell well to consumers unless its comparatively convenient for consumers to install.

As it stands right now, might as well have called it "Tosdrive" 

I doubt it's targeted at consumer usage or replacement/upgrading. To me it looks more targeted at system inteigrators and designers so they can offer more SKUs at lower design cost as well as offering more options at purchase time, configure to order etc.

Edit:

I can also see this being used in servers for the IPMI/iLO/iDRAC NAND chips which can and have failed requiring a complete motherboard replacement, this would allow just replacing the NAND.

Nice, can't wait for finger sized SSDs

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Reminds me how you mout Threadripper though.

Neat to see really. Nice to see faster storage coming for smaller devices, like phones and USB thumb drives being like fast as internal drives. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |