Epic Games donates $1.2Mil to open source 3D software, Blender

Sir.gg
8 minutes ago, Stroal said:

Or maybe they are investing in software that will allow people to better utilize their engine. Which is a smart move and has nothing to do with making them look like "good guys"

Hey, I'm just basing it off of their previous track record when they give devs money...

4 hours ago, suits said:

I will never understand how people are upset at epic for winning exclusive titles. You'd do the same if you had a game portal.

if someone slaps me in the face to get a million dollars would i do the same thing if i was in their position sure but i would still be angry at them for slapping me in the face

4 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Well.... I can't remember VALVe ever doing any donation what so ever... so much for calling Epic the bad guys every time.

Donating money doesn't counteract all the scummy practices epic has been doing. Also not dontatimg money doesn't make a company bad either.

I love how people seem to be crying harder when:

- A game that is still going to run on your computer just under a different launcher.

Is somehow worse than:

- A console exclusivity deal, or no PC port at all.

perfect logic.

7 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Well.... I can't remember VALVe ever doing any donation what so ever... so much for calling Epic the bad guys every time.

Every green light application cost 100USD, of which 100% is donated to Child's play charity

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Nice. 

For everyone questioning Epic's intentions: this has all been gone through in the news thread about their people being overworked. They basically have more money than they know what to do with, and nothing to put the money into. So they're making hay while the sun shines (because eventually Fortnite will stop being such a big cash cow) by supporting projects which make them look good to the community. It's also convenient that Blender is used in a lot of Unreal games

That's an F in the profile pic

Cool motive, still overwork their employees and farm lootbox money.

5 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I love how people seem to be crying harder when:

- A game that is still going to run on your computer just under a different launcher.

Is somehow worse than:

- A console exclusivity deal, or no PC port at all.

perfect logic.

Name 3 games that were advertised to be platform agnostic which were late in their dev cycle suddenly switched to platform exclusive. That doesn't even take into consideration their shenanigans with kickstartered titles.

21 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Name 3 games that were advertised to be platform agnostic which were late in their dev cycle suddenly switched to platform exclusive. That doesn't even take into consideration their shenanigans with kickstartered titles.

The platform being PC has not changed, last time I checked all these epic so called "exclusives" don't impact the console release date, nor do they require an epic games account to play on console. Since when is it epics fault when owners of a kickstarter choose to accept funding from them? (especially when they offer full refunds to customers at their expense).

Sorry Epic, still hate you. Although I only use it for stress testing, Blender is great and it's cool to see the creators make a big chunk of money, but it's dirty Epic Games money.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

16 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

And that's the beauty of a PR & Marketing dept... It's ALL about giving the illusion of being benevolent and trustworthy to overshadow all the bad press and ill will you've gotten lately.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

8 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

19 people found this funny...

I on the other hand:

Avengers-Infinity-War-2018-Iron-Man-Robe

We find it funny because its open source, meaning anyone can compile and/or fork it as they please....

Nice PR move...

It's nice to see Blender get some money but one good dead among a hundred bad ones doesn't make you the good guy

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's ironic since they have games on Steam.

Yes, for now they have to have. But I guess they will be pulled soon.

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Probably because of taxes tbh. 

1.2 million dollars is 1.2 million dollars. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

1.2 million dollars is 1.2 million dollars. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

These companies make billions...

Kudos to Epic, always good to see devs give back to the ecosystem.

18 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Valve supports lots of open source projects with continuous funding on a monthly basis. They have enabled many part time developers to go into full time work in a particular area. Including graphics card drivers, virtual reality and the Vulkan API tools/debuggers which are now used by lots of game developers. That's just off the top of my head. Also companies like LunarG exist because of Valve's funding. What they do is way bigger than a one time contribution and a press release...

6 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Kudos to Epic, always good to see devs give back to the ecosystem.

Valve supports lots of open source projects with continuous funding on a monthly basis. They have enabled many part time developers to go into full time work in a particular area. Including graphics card drivers, virtual reality and the Vulkan API tools/debuggers which are now used by lots of game developers. That's just off the top of my head. Also companies like LunarG exist because of Valve's funding. What they do is way bigger than a one time contribution and a press release...

yeah exactly giving back, microtransaction'd into the billions so this is chump change

and valve or gabe has done many donations to many things not everything is going to be under valve completely in new articles/etc

That's cool. When will Epic get back to UT though, sleeping potential there. So depressing knowing it's not in active development. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

EPIC just has more money than they know what to do with, if I were them I'd just reach out and ask random devs to sent them game ideas, if they like it then EPIC will fund it, stick it on the store. 

But anyway, it is interesting they choose a software package that straight up benefits them in the long run, its a good business move. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

39 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

EPIC just has more money than they know what to do with, if I were them I'd just reach out and ask random devs to sent them game ideas, if they like it then EPIC will fund it, stick it on the store. 

But anyway, it is interesting they choose a software package that straight up benefits them in the long run, its a good business move. 

Some sort of Epic Accelerator would actually be a neat way to go, but that's nearly what they're already doing. Heck, I'd learn game development just to get some of that sweet sweet Epic dollars.

There is no spoon.