Epic Games donates $1.2Mil to open source 3D software, Blender

Sir.gg
1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

They're not focused on it and won't be for a long time.  They pulled all sources off all projects in-house and are having everyone work excessive overtime on Fortnite.  UT will be completed, but it's community devs doing that since Epic has no interest in the franchise anymore.

Yeah I know, it's so sad really. Being their main series and even the engine name, game that represented it too. 

Hopefully one day the game gets finished. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

We find it funny because its open source, meaning anyone can compile and/or fork it as they please....

You realize that the owners of the copyright to the software can choose to re-license it whenever they want right lol?

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

You realize that the owners of the copyright to the software can choose to re-license it whenever they want right lol?

Yes, but it cannot affect any version prior to the change.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Yes, but it cannot affect any version prior to the change.

Well no shit, what an obvious comment xD

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Well no shit, what an obvious comment xD

Say that to yourself lol...........

This is good. 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

On 7/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, _Sir said:

Epic is certainly continuing their recent habit of throwing money around, but it's not just going to game devs it seems.

Great news, everyone.  To provide you with the best experience in Blender, we're now exclusively distributed on Epic!

On 7/16/2019 at 12:40 PM, suits said:

I will never understand how people are upset at epic for winning exclusive titles. You'd do the same if you had a game portal.

To state they're "winning" exclusives implies they're competing against others.  No one (save for Microsoft) is even trying for exclusive third party titles.  It's not competition when the others aren't even trying to compete.

Edited by Jito463
rephrasing

It's good to see support for open-source projects.

It's also exhausting to hear Epic's name attached to it. The kind of exhaustion that happens when you're watching a kid and they just have to touch everything, pick up every animal, stick their hands in every crevice, and drink everything vaguely fluid, and eventually you just run out of "no"s and have to watch in silence as they somehow don't die whilst actively trying to kill themself. You're not angry, you're not scared, you're just... Tired.  And every time someone says that kid's name, that same exhaustion just washes over you as you resign yourself to the story that will inevitably follow.

I don't think there's anything more to this than a functional PR department and a simple donation. I also hope there's nothing more to it.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, suits said:

I will never understand how people are upset at epic for winning exclusive titles. You'd do the same if you had a game portal.

... No. No I absolutely would not.

Paid exclusives are childish and non-constructive.

Hardware exclusives were justifiable when the hardware was tangibly different between platforms, but nowadays hardware exclusives are technologically no different from launcher exclusives.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:22 AM, Princess Luna said:

Well.... I can't remember VALVe ever doing any donation what so ever... so much for calling Epic the bad guys every time.

You should get new memory sticks, your current ones are dying on you.

http://theheartofracing.org/About/Partners

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Japan_Charity_Bundle

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-05-valves-solution-to-steam-greenlight-spam-charge-USD100-donate-it-to-charity

On 7/17/2019 at 5:31 AM, Delicieuxz said:

All the research Valve have done for Linux gaming, Steam controller, Steam boxes, Steam-Link, Big Picture Mode, Cross-Play, etc, aren't giving money to outside organizations, but they are investing in costly ventures to try to improve gaming. I'm sure Valve sunk at least a good hundred times that $1.2 million Epic donates to research and try out all those things.

Epic's $1.2 million donation seems a bit measly compared to their cash-stash, IMO. They're making around $3 billion a year from Fortnite and are spending loads of millions of $ on buying out exclusives. They could donate $150 million each year to various things and it would barely represent a scratch in their overall available money.

Also it's quite possible that Valve donates stuff without us knowing - Valve is a private company

Has Epic done any charity donations? Because Valve sure has. Steam Greenlight, TF2, etc, etc...

4 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

Honestly I imaging Gaben sitting in his office looking at the state of the industry today and wondering exactly when it all went insane.

15 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Paid exclusives are childish and non-constructive.

Hardware exclusives were justifiable when the hardware was tangibly different between platforms, but nowadays hardware exclusives are technologically no different from launcher exclusives.

And generally speaking most console exclusives are financed in part or in whole by the console maker that they are exclusive to. Games like Bayonetta 2 or Bloodborne wouldn't have been made without cash from Nintendo and Sony respectively. Would it be great if they were mutliplatform? Absolutely. But I also can't be mad at a company for wanting exclusive rights to games that they bankrolled. 

Epic is taking games that are already in development, often funded directly by fans, and then locking them behind their shitty store. Even if the end result is the same, the manner that they are going about it is backwards. They should be doing more deals like what they did with the Quantic Dream games - pay for ports that otherwise wouldn't exist. That way they are actually adding value to their service and generally just making it so that games are more accessible, not less. Unfortunately, that would require a much longer business outlook and it seems like Epic is intent on making their money as fast as humanly possible, reputation and user experience be damned.