Windows 10 May 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh great, so that means using Sandbox will kill VMWare & Virtual Box, gee thanks Microsoft.

Not really. Windows Sandbox is very basic clean copy of your existing OS. You can't run Ubuntu through it or Windows 98. It's not going to replace anything, but it will be useful for testing things care free.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Not really. Windows Sandbox is very basic clean copy of your existing OS. You can't run Ubuntu through it or Windows 98. It's not going to replace anything, but it will be useful for testing things care free.

See this

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

That's not what I meant.

Once you enable Hyper V in Windows it stops all other virtualisation software from running on your computer and since sandbox mode requires Hyper V it's safe to assume that enabling it will cause VMWare and Virtual Box to stop working.

Essentially you have a choice, want to virtualise then you can't use sandbox mode, want sandbox mode then you can't virtualise.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

See this

HyperV has exclusions or nesting (not sure how it's called officially right now). avast! for example uses HyperV for its virtualization, but you can still use VirtualBox or VMWare with it. Something to do with nesting and stuff, don't remember the specifics, basically you have one HyperV supervisor, but you can run many underneath this main one iirc. Or something along those lines.

Just now, RejZoR said:

HyperV has exclusions or nesting (not sure how it's called officially right now). avast! for example uses HyperV for its virtualization, but you can still use VirtualBox or VMWare with it. Something to do with nesting and stuff, don't remember the specifics, basically you have one HyperV supervisor, but you can run many underneath this main one iirc. Or something along those lines.

OK, so basically the user will have to enable nested virtualization. That's not exactly ideal but at least it's a solution.

I'll take a look into that because afaik enabling Hyper V meant no virtualization at all.

TIL :D

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

What are you talking about? It's been fixed soon after its release.

Yeah, it only took 150+ days, very quick...

They only classified 1809 stable enough for business 2-3 days ago.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3385518/microsoft-deems-troubled-windows-10-1809-good-to-go-for-business.html

Only 26% of W10 pc's is on 1809 while 66.3% is stuck at 1803.

Unless they magically manage to double the numbers on 1809 it would mean more than half of all w10 systems out there are soon 2 versions behind.

Hooray for trying to keep everyone on the same build...

https://www.neowin.net/news/adduplex-version-1809-still-on-just-264-of-windows-10-pcs

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

all cool but when will they fix the lock screen windows spotlight function its been 2 years since they broke it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

9 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

all cool but when will they fix the lock screen windows spotlight function its been 2 years since they broke it.

Works fine in all my system and family computer? Sounds like you ran some tweak utility or did some registry or GPO changes.

18 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah, it only took 150+ days, very quick...

They only classified 1809 stable enough for business 2-3 days ago.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3385518/microsoft-deems-troubled-windows-10-1809-good-to-go-for-business.html

Don't know what this is about.. at work all systems are updated to 1809 since a long time ago,

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

OK, so basically the user will have to enable nested virtualization. That's not exactly ideal but at least it's a solution.

I'll take a look into that because afaik enabling Hyper V meant no virtualization at all.

TIL :D

Not on a low level. You can only have one Hypervisor, the one sitting on top of Windows kernel. You can have basically infinite number of Hypervisors nested under the main one. As far as I understand the tech.

These all look like great updates. Looking forward to it!

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you clean install Windows 10 Professional, Education or Enterprise editions, Cortana will now be muted by default in the Out-Of-the-Box Experience setup.

Oh, HALLELUJAH!  Working at a computer store, I can't tell you how many times I've found myself yelling "SHUT UP, CORTANA!".

Actually, that's not true.  I don't really yell at it.  Instead, I prefer to mock it.

PC: "Hi, I'm Cortana, and I'm here to help"

Me: "No, you're not" *mute*

I already have dark mode sticky notes.. and have had for quite some time OP @GoodBytes
image.png.334c89c03ebc104ed36b06b13c41cb6f.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, yian88 said:

Goodbytes let me know if they have any intention of making windows light instead of making it worse with every update.

It runs like shit on my laptop Legion y520, and im not moving back to desktop any time soon or ever.

I need ultra lightweight OS for mobile laptops like Android, that can run most win32 apps.

Let me know if Windows Core OS turns into anything good other bloatware and forced uwp, i really need it.

Microsoft announced Windows Core OS around the same time intel announced FOVEROS uarch, this could mean Windows Core mobile devices with intel new arch but probably limited to UWP and spyware, so we cant have nice things.

You using an SSD? I work at a PC repair shop and I've come to the conclusion that an SSD is a requirement for windows 10. Even the cheap dramless inland SSDs you can get on amazon for cheap will make the world of difference.

48 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I already have dark mode sticky notes.. and have had for quite some time OP @GoodBytes

Hmmm.. probably got released to all, soon after it hit Insider Program.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Works fine in all my system and family computer? Sounds like you ran some tweak utility or did some registry or GPO changes.

i did use some app that barnacules told in a video 2 years ago, bui that was 2 years ago, there have been so many updates since that should have reset it, i've tried all sorts of reset using cmdline, reg edits and img scans. if i set it to spot light it just shows the default lock screen. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

@GoodBytes quite nice thread!  I'm very excited about this!

Especially the ability to change cursor color.

Is that for Pro users or is that for all user?

Won’t visit often..

I wish the Windows Sandbox thing was for everyone not just pro users. That's the only feature I like.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

I scrolled down for 6 days just to say that I still haven't received the October 2018 update yet.

I thought this was the October Update

Wonder if game performance will be back to where it used to be before the creators update. Been having serious micro stuttering and increased CPU usage in at least half the titles I've tested. Disabling HPET somewhat helps but not nearly what it was before the update. 

Holy shit, that's a long post.

And a ton of changes and that's just with a "minor" Windows Update (OK, not that minor)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Holy shit, that's a long post.

And a ton of changes and that's just with a "minor" Windows Update (OK, not that minor)...

It really looks like a huge change to me.  I want a black cursor but all the black Windows cursors on my desktop are low-end right now.  However, will having light mode enabled while I update my computer make the taskbar white after the update concludes?  

Won’t visit often..

35 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

It really looks like a huge change to me.  I want a black cursor but all the black Windows cursors on my desktop are low-end right now.  However, will having light mode enabled while I update my computer make the taskbar white after the update concludes?  

No, only if you clean install Windows 10, if I am not mistaken.

Everyone on Light Theme, will be set to mix theme option, where the Task Bar/StartMenu/Notification Bar will remain black and File Explorer white.