Windows 10 May 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

I'm digging the 1901 build 18362.1 so far. They have finally made the star menu tolerable. 4 clicks and I can clear everything and then pin my preferable apps from scratch. Only 3 games preinstalled with clean windows install. Gaming seems stable.

My laptop is having probs again.

Should I clean install now or wait to clean install the May update?

Won’t visit often..

The sandbox vm is definitely a nice benefit for us with pro keys, can't wait to mess around with it

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

On 4/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, GoodBytes said:

If I enable sandbox feature without Hyper-V, I am unable to start a VM in VMWare Workstation Pro 15. I get the following error.

241604286_Annotation2019-04-01090637.png.102a2e0d5cf6e3fd27e083b741f3c923.png

But if you are using a VM software already, can't you make one running Windows, and create a save state before doing anything and restore to it when done?

I personally never been able to run VMware when HyperV was enabled

I have forgotten the following items that is coming up with this new version of Windows 10:

• Console can now be made bigger or smaller by pressing the Ctrl key and using the mouse Scroll Wheel (or scroll gesture on your touchpad if you are on a laptop)
  • Start menu is now a seperate process. Called 'ShellExperienceHost.exe', if the Start menu crashes it will no longer take Exploere with it.
  • Streamlined Windows Hello PIN reset experience
  • Blur login effect when account is selected at login screen
  • More symbols are now available on the touch keyboard

I have already updated the main post with them.

Hui, that looks like M$ isn't pulling their punches and are going full steam forward with all those new features.

Also the start Menu is different. Can't post it right now because I'm not on my Insider PC.

But it has new symbols for shutting down, while it was only text before.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 3/30/2019 at 10:17 PM, GoodBytes said:

Nope. Sorry.

But this is how to remove it manually (it will come back once you update Windows to this version, so you'll need to redo it after):

Open Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

And delete the key (folder) called: {0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A}

Sounds like something you could do with a batch file and the command line registry tool. 

1. Sees thread about upcoming Windows 10 update
  2. Checks Windows Update Service status
  3. Ensures that it is still disabled
  4. Everything is good in the world

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Hui, that looks like M$ isn't pulling their punches and are going full steam forward with all those new features.

Also the start Menu is different. Can't post it right now because I'm not on my Insider PC.

But it has new symbols for shutting down, while it was only text before.

Yeah.  There will be icons for shutting down, restarting, sleeping.

Won’t visit often..

• 3 weeks later...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/minimum-hardware-requirements-overview#331-storage-device-size

3.3.1 Storage device size

Devices that run Windows 10 for desktop editions must include a storage device that meets the size requirements shown in Table 12.

Table 12: Storage size requirements for devices that run Windows 10 for desktop editions

OS architecture OS version Storage capacity
Windows 10, version 1809 and prior 32-bit 16 GB or greater
  64-bit 20 GB or greater
Windows 10, version 1903 32-bit and 64-bit 32 GB or greater
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 1903 and prior 32-bit 16 GB or greater
  64-bit 20 GB or greater

Bumping this up due to new info on the size of this update(plus the reserve storage windows makes). 

Edit: Something seems wrong with the quote thing or something on my end.

Edit 2: Thanks to jake9000 for pointing it out.

Still missing gpu support in WSL for deep learning task. I don't understand why they are still not trying to do that. It should be one of their priority to keep developers and softwares on their platform...

2 hours ago, AlexOak said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/minimum-hardware-requirements-overview#331-storage-device-size

3.3.1 Storage device size

Devices that run Windows 10 for desktop editions must include a storage device that meets the size requirements shown in Table 12.

Table 12: Storage size requirements for devices that run Windows 10 for desktop editions

OS architecture OS version Storage capacity
Windows 10, version 1809 and prior 32-bit 16 GB or greater
  64-bit 20 GB or greater
Windows 10, version 1903 32-bit and 64-bit 32 GB or greater
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 1903 and prior 32-bit 16 GB or greater
  64-bit 20 GB or greater

Bumping this up due to new info on the size of this update(reserve storage windows makes). 

Edit: Something seems wrong with the quote thing or something on my end.

Wait...I only have 29 GB or storage...

Does this mean I will not be able to run Windows 10 1903???

Won’t visit often..

On 4/1/2019 at 9:22 AM, firelighter487 said:

really? it doesn't use your Win 10 Pro activation? that's stupid... 

You think that's bad?  Microsoft expects you to buy a separate license for Windows if you dual boot the exact same version on the exact same machine (even though only one can be active at a time).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0fee4e22-ee00-4680-9c16-1210a0a62d8d/license-requirement-for-a-dual-boot

@GoodBytes

There's some new changes reported.  For one, MS is now removing the password expiration policy from their baseline security checklist (companies can still manually set password expiration).  Also, BitLocker is going to be limited to 128-bit now, and the 256-bit option will be removed.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/25/microsoft_password_expiration_windows/

On 4/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, laminutederire said:

Still missing gpu support in WSL for deep learning task. I don't understand why they are still not trying to do that. It should be one of their priority to keep developers and softwares on their platform...

I didn't mention any on WSL because it seems that interest is very low here about it, so I tend to keep it for big news only.

But here is the release notes of all the improvements done so far to it, including insider builds.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/release-notes

As a WSL user, I can say that I used to have a number of problems which have now all been resolved. So it showed that there was a lot of work to be done, and they have done a lot. It can probably still do more, such as support services. Not sure what is the company plans for the future. There is probably a lot more work and improvement they want to do before GPU support. Such as maybe a way to backup and restore a WSL setup, although now you can backup and restore the whole WSL environment via command prompt, something you could not even do before.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, Jito463 said:

You think that's bad?  Microsoft expects you to buy a separate license for Windows if you dual boot the exact same version on the exact same machine (even though only one can be active at a time).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0fee4e22-ee00-4680-9c16-1210a0a62d8d/license-requirement-for-a-dual-boot

Always been like this, even if you want a Windows VM of the same version and edition as the one you have.

It is silly in my boo, that I wish the company improved. Heck even the new Sandbox mode in Windows 10 runs activated, and can't be activated (well you can, but you are throwing your license away basically, as the moment you close it, it will scrap everything).

On 4/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, Jito463 said:

@GoodBytes

There's some new changes reported.  For one, MS is now removing the password expiration policy from their baseline security checklist (companies can still manually set password expiration).  Also, BitLocker is going to be limited to 128-bit now, and the 256-bit option will be removed.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/25/microsoft_password_expiration_windows/

Thanks!

On 4/25/2019 at 6:36 PM, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Wait...I only have 29 GB or storage...

Does this mean I will not be able to run Windows 10 1903???

I am not sure if you'll actually be blocked or not. We have to wait for details.

But I think it is a clever move. They added the new 7GB reserved space for updates. But to ensure that you no longer have manufacture cheapening out building systems with 32GB of storage or less which are, and screw consumers over when they'll realize they can't do much, not even install anything (especially after the 7GB reserved space). they forcing manufacture to put at least 64GB. What confirms this, to me, further is the fact that Windows 10 32-bit is genuinely much smaller than the 64-bit version, but now they put them both on the storage requirement. Today, storage is cheap, and is only getting cheaper. A few years ago 1TB SSD was only a dream, now it is quite affordable, and dropping fast each month. I don't know the details, but we will see how it plays.

26 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

No prompts just yet, not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing

The version is not released yet for the general public.

You can only get it if:

• You join the Insider Program Release Preview ring.
  • You are subscribe to MSDN.

Microsoft is still working on polishing the OS to ensure a better experience to users as they upgrade, and the extra time they take, allows more and more games to update their anti-cheat system that they use with the latest version to be compatible with this new update. It looks like a great number of games have done so, including, but not limited to: Fortnight. (Note that not all anti-cheat systems were affected, only some, and mostly the one used in Fortnight which is also used in a number of other games)

From what I can see:

• There was an issue with drive letter that could be changed for USB storage device, including things like SD card readers. This is a problem for those who install programs on them. A fix was been released to Insider Fast Ring, so it is a question of time before it goes down the line, and reaches Release Preview ring and be officially integrated in the May update (or patched soon after).

• Those with the Creative X-Fi dedicated sound card, have a driver incompatibility issue. Microsoft was working with Creative for a number of months now. New driver was released, but because Creative still doesn't want to deliver drivers to Microsoft Update servers, users will need to get it from Creative website, as usual.

They are probably other things, but those where the big ones from what I remember.

One thing I do not see in the OP is Reserved Storage

Windows 10 will now reserve around 7GB of your disk space to ensure that future updates will have room to download. Additionally, the minimum hdd space required to install W10 is increasing to 32GB from 20GB (x64). 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Windows-10-and-reserved-storage/ba-p/428327

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I didn't mention any on WSL because it seems that interest is very low here about it, so I tend to keep it for big news only.

But here is the release notes of all the improvements done so far to it, including insider builds.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/release-notes

As a WSL user, I can say that I used to have a number of problems which have now all been resolved. So it showed that there was a lot of work to be done, and they have done a lot. It can probably still do more, such as support services. Not sure what is the company plans for the future. There is probably a lot more work and improvement they want to do before GPU support. Such as maybe a way to backup and restore a WSL setup, although now you can backup and restore the whole WSL environment via command prompt, something you could not even do before.

I guess it's a matter of perspective :)

I'd rather them bring cuda and opencl support through it. That'd help them retain a lot of deep learning researchers and engineers on their platform. I'm however suspecting it probably has more to do with nvidia not wanting them to do that, like they're blocking cuda capabilities on non quadro cards in VMs most of the time.

that being said, I use it extensively as well, and that particular instance is the main issue I have with it so far, which means I agree that they did work on it a lot since it first came out!

On 4/9/2019 at 1:53 AM, GoodBytes said:

I have forgotten the following items that is coming up with this new version of Windows 10:

• Console can now be made bigger or smaller by pressing the Ctrl key and using the mouse Scroll Wheel (or scroll gesture on your touchpad if you are on a laptop)
  • Start menu is now a seperate process. Called 'ShellExperienceHost.exe', if the Start menu crashes it will no longer take Exploere with it.
  • Streamlined Windows Hello PIN reset experience
  • Blur login effect when account is selected at login screen
  • More symbols are now available on the touch keyboard

I have already updated the main post with them.

It's good that Microsoft is starting to separate processes. Computers no longer need OS to try and save as many KB as possible by collating processes into 1 exe.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

18 hours ago, jake9000 said:

One thing I do not see in the OP is Reserved Storage

Windows 10 will now reserve around 7GB of your disk space to ensure that future updates will have room to download. Additionally, the minimum hdd space required to install W10 is increasing to 32GB from 20GB (x64). 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Windows-10-and-reserved-storage/ba-p/428327

Is there any way to make reserved space lower?

Won’t visit often..

2 hours ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Is there any way to make reserved space lower?

That would defeat the purpose of it. It is designed to allow Windows Updates to install without having it bug you about making free space.