Windows 10 May 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

Now if my laptop could stop crashing with driver power state error.

MS: not happening b****

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

15 minutes ago, Penkid said:

Does the removal of 3D viewer, remove the fucking 3D objects folder ?

Nope. Sorry.

But this is how to remove it manually (it will come back once you update Windows to this version, so you'll need to redo it after):

Open Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

And delete the key (folder) called: {0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A}

9 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Now if my laptop could stop crashing with driver power state error.

MS: not happening b****

That is a driver issue on your side or BIOS/UEFI update is required.

Try and find the latest chipset drivers from the manufacture, or install the ones from laptop manufacture in the case they did strange stuff at the hardware level and require special drivers as a result. If your laptop is older than Windows 10, try installing the older Windows version drivers if nothing else works.

Microsoft continues to polish the tird that is Windows 10. Not like I have a choice in updating to this though ?‍♂️

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Open Regedit, and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

And delete the key (folder) called: {0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A}

I know about that. But I wish Microsoft will allow for the removal for the folder anyway without Regedit modifications   

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Is the Sandbox an absolutely clean state (i.e., no drivers or anything) or does it take hints from what your system has?

It is based on your system (No need to download a VHD or ISO). But the account is created new, and runs under Hyper-V. It is all created at each startup, and trashed when closed. As it is Hyper-V, RAM is not set to be reserved. It dynamically consumes what it needs. So if Sandbox environment consumes 1GB, it will consume 1GB itself, and not reserved 4GB for itself, but only consume 1GB, leaving you out of 3GB.

Microsoft has a lengthy article on how it works here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/Windows-Sandbox/ba-p/301849

Scroll down to "Windows Sandbox internals" to jump into the details.

54 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Did I save? Well, now you’ll know! Notepad now displays an asterisk (*) on the title bar next to the file name on a document that was modified and not saved yet.

CHL45WUUIAAinpH.jpg

Seriously, why did it take Microsoft so long to implement this.

One thing I can see myself use quite a lot, is the sandbox.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

they didnt even manage to fix the october update and already pushing new one? cant wait for shit to break again

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

I'll bet you this will break trackpad drivers on my dad's laptop again, requiring me to 7zip the driver EXE open and use device manager's "have disk" feature to force it to use them again...

52 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is based on your system (No need to download a VHD or ISO). But the account is created new, and runs under Hyper-V. It is all created at each startup, and trashed when closed. As it is Hyper-V, RAM is not set to be reserved. It dynamically consumes what it needs. So if Sandbox environment consumes 1GB, it will consume 1GB itself, and not reserved 4GB for itself, but only consume 1GB, leaving you out of 3GB.

Microsoft has a lengthy article on how it works here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/Windows-Sandbox/ba-p/301849

Scroll down to "Windows Sandbox internals" to jump into the details.

Ooh.

I kind of wish there was a persistent instance so I could isolate things in their own sandboxes.

41 minutes ago, BachChain said:

So is this basically 'Windows 7 mode'

Nope. Windows 10 search classic is the same as Windows 7 + Web

Sorry, but it has not changed. Microsoft back-pedaled the mess Windows 8 introduced.

The Enhanced mode is closer to OSX Spotlight search in terms of coverage, if I am not mistaken.

48 minutes ago, Neftex said:

they didnt even manage to fix the october update and already pushing new one? cant wait for shit to break again

What are you talking about? It's been fixed soon after its release.

54 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I'll bet you this will break trackpad drivers on my dad's laptop again, requiring me to 7zip the driver EXE open and use device manager's "have disk" feature to force it to use them again...

Most likely. I mean Microsoft just use what driver has been delivered to them.. if the recent/latest drivers breaks compatibility with older devices... well, sadly there is not much you can do. I need to more details to explain what is the issue you are facing, but all I can say now is:

The way it works is that when you update Windows versions, it actually does an OS upgrade procedure. It will scan for your hardware, re-install the drivers it has. Only if the older version of Windows 10 are newer, it will transfer the drivers. Windows doesn't know if a device is working properly or not, beside if it can communicate in some way with the hardware or not through the drivers successfully.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Most likely. I mean Microsoft just use what driver has been delivered to them.. if the recent/latest drivers breaks compatibility with older devices... well, sadly there is not much you can do. You can send feedback and if enough people complain, Microsoft might have special, older, drivers for the affected hardware but that is about it, sadly.

This machine was new enough to have come with windows 8.1 and of course got the win10 update, and dell has w10 drivers for it on their site

But after like the creators update, they broke... But like I said, forcing them to install works perfectly

Its so weird

17 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

This machine was new enough to have come with windows 8.1 and of course got the win10 update, and dell has w10 drivers for it on their site

But after like the creators update, they broke... But like I said, forcing them to install works perfectly

Its so weird

Haunted Devices Episode 2

✨FNIGE✨

37 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Nope. Windows 10 search classic is the same as Windows 7 + Web

Sorry, but it has not changed. Microsoft back-pedaled the mess Windows 8 introduced.

The Enhanced mode is closer to OSX Spotlight search in terms of coverage, if I am not mistaken.

I just hope it will actually search correctly after the update. It's less capable at finding files right now than even search in Windows ME. For example, it can't find a keyword if it is in the middle of a larger string.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Ummmm dont use it? 9_9

What would I use instead? Linux? Hah!

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

24 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Haunted Devices Episode 2

I had a laptop at work where the headphones jack was muted when the hard drive screws were installed

dead serious

i have a few questions. 

• will it reinstall all the apps you can now remove if you remove them like it does with candy crush?
  • can i still use snipping tool?
  • does it prompt me if it automatically changes active hours? i use my Windows system for school stuff only and i cannot really risk a random restart sometimes. 
  • can i use insider previews in Windows Sandbox?

She/Her