AMD SUED!

AMD is currently on the negative end of a class action lawsuit due to their FX processors.  AMD advertised their FX processor as having 8 cores, but now the courts must decide what a "core" actually is. Unlike Ryzen, AMD's FX series had a different architecture and they have even said that with this design, they have approximately 80% of the performance of "true" 8-core processors. The argument then, is that people didn't pay for the performance of a 6-core, they paid for an 8-core. This all having been said, I personally don't think there is a whole lot to this lawsuit and I think it should be dropped. That having been said, I didn't buy one of AMD's top-of-the-line processors in 2015. What do you guys think? Links and photos below.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/284335-the-garbage-class-action-lawsuit-against-amds-bulldozer-is-headed-to-trial

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fx-processors-lawsuit-continues,38486.html

BD-Die-Crop-Feature.jpg

AMD-FX.jpg

I mean it had 8 logical threads so w/e

FX 8350 and so on really were just 4c/8t processors but got market as 8c/8t, but like mentioned Intel marketing and AMD marketing are just different... FX is so old school who cares... people getting on class action to retrieve 20% of what they paid on these already cheap CPUs?

Some people are just bored as hell heh

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

35 minutes ago, SuperCooling87 said:

AMD advertised their FX processor as having 8 cores, but now the courts must decide what a "core" actually is.

It was a core. Only had a shared scheduler (wich they rolled back with Excavator).

This "Class Action" is just stupid bullshit, just the usual garbage to make a dollar or two at the cost of AMD...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Frivolous lawsuit that's all about money. And no, I'm not just saying that because AMD is the one getting sued, if this were Intel I'd feel the same way.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

FX 8350 and so on really were just 4c/8t processors but got market as 8c/8t

That's not true though, CMT was significantly different to SMT and every one of those "cores" was the same. Either they're all cores or they aren't, and if they aren't it might as well be a 0 core cpu. The argument that the modules were the actual "cores" doesn't really hold water if you use Intel's definition, anyway. And it wouldn't have been any less misleading to say it was a quad core (it would have been more misleading in my opinion). FX chips weren't great, but I don't think their problem was false advertisement.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Kinda dumb though. It was a different approach wit CMT and it would be stupid to define what 'core' is, especially by those people. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

They had 8 cores. They might not have preformed that way but it was a difference in architecture. They never lied to anyone, they had a plan and it didn't work. So they shouldn't be sued imo

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Basically a jury of 12 normies has to decide what a CPU core is. AMD went for a different approach than SMT (AMD went CMT) and it resulted in FX. If they insist only intel gets to define what a core is they should take a long walk off a short pier

I don't think many people on this forum knows what a CPU core is either.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

FX 8350 and so on really were just 4c/8t processors but got market as 8c/8t, but like mentioned Intel marketing and AMD marketing are just different... FX is so old school who cares... people getting on class action to retrieve 20% of what they paid on these already cheap CPUs? 

Some people are just bored as hell heh

If Intel started marking their 6 core processor as a 12 core processor, because "it can run 12 threads" then I think they deserve to be sued too.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

It was a core. Only had a shared scheduler (wich they rolled back with Excavator).

This "Class Action" is just stupid bullshit, just the usual garbage to make a dollar or two at the cost of AMD...

No, the Bulldozer modules shared more than that. For some workloads like floating point operations, 8 core FX processors were essentially quad cores.

You can't just take out like half the core and then still call it a real core.

A 2200g similar specs to a 8350 h(4 cores 8 threads) the 8350 unpacks compressed file at a wayyyy faster rate and applications like winrar depend on cores for packing and unpacking, and it does somewhat preform like a 8 core cpu just some people suing and are on that hustle and grind

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No, the Bulldozer modules shared more than that. For some workloads like floating point operations,

Float Point Operations are Optional on x86 and were integrated about 10 years after the first x86 Chip in 1989.

The 8086 was released in 1979. The 80486 in 1989 (with like 20 and 25MHz, really took off a year or two later).

And even then it was optional - i486SX came with a deactivated FPU.

So that means that the Pentium Processor was the first generation that really came with FPU and really integrated it. And that was in 1993.

8 core FX processors were essentially quad cores.

are you arguing that an Intel 8086, 8088, 80186, 80286, 80386, 80486SX wasn't a "1 Core CPU"?

Yes, you can as _ONLY_ the Int Cores are the cores.

The FPU is optional, traditionally.

If Intel started marking their 6 core processor as a 12 core processor, because "it can run 12 threads" then I think they deserve to be sued too.

Yes, because that would be a LIE and false.

Calling the Bulldozer FX8k and 9k Series 8 Core is not.

That is something you can argue for. The example you gave is just totally bullshit.

Because its not about the Threads, its about the (INT) Cores!

Bulldozer has 2 Int Cores per Module. So claiming 8 Cores isn't false.

And above I've given you the reason for that.

8c or not, they still performed the same, this is just an obvious cash grab, this just reminds me of the 3.5gb debacle a few years ago with the 970, i had 2 of them and i didn't care because the benchmarks are still the same.

Hopefully they will drop it.

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

13 minutes ago, Juniiii said:

A 2200g similar specs to a 8350 h(4 cores 8 threads) the 8350 unpacks compressed file at a wayyyy faster rate and applications like winrar depend on cores for packing and unpacking, and it does somewhat preform like a 8 core cpu just some people suing and are on that hustle and grind

Ryzen 3 2200g is a 4c/4t cpu. It doesn't have SMT. The 2400g is 4c/8t.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Who even uses FX chips these days?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I see you like getting scammed ?

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Quite a few people it seems. There are questions about upgrading from FX chips or paring high end GPUs with FX chips weekly on this forum.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

No, the Bulldozer modules shared more than that. For some workloads like floating point operations, 8 core FX processors were essentially quad cores.

It's not half the core, lets be honest. FP isnt a CPU's strong point and AMD kind of bet on this (wrongly). Even using the term real core implies that only intel gets to define what a core is. The fact is that SMT is very often used to advertise the ability to run double the tasks on the same amount of cores when really we both know that's not how it actually works all the time.

At the end of the day a pathway with an ALU is a core to me.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Just lawyers trying to get rich. Hopefully AMD makes a good defense and they end up not having to pay these dumbasses a cent. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

30 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Who bought it a couple of years back.

And the FX aren't too bad, not worse then Ivy-Bridge or Haswell i5, in some modern Games they even beat those two CPUs.

Problem is: It needs special treatment and optimization. If you give that to the Bulldozer Architecture it really runs well (though it still gets hindered by the garbage I/O and L3 Part at only 2GHz)...

The AMD FX-8xxx /9xxx has 4 modules with 2 cores in each module.

Each 2 cores in the module will share resources (RAMBUS, CPU Cache etc).

Yes, there are 8 cores in total, but they are not separate, and are NOT hyper-threading. This is a good cost saver for AMD.

AMD 3rd Generation Ryzen release date
When high core-count 3rd gen processors hit with the 2nd corner die (possibly) used, will there be another lawsuit saying that they are only 2-core processors and not 16+ core processors???????? NO. So this lawsuit just doesn't make sense from a common sense standpoint.

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

On 6/20/2015 at 4:21 AM, Syntaxvgm said:

"We may be separate cores now

but on some level

we'll always share cache. "

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch