AMD SUED!

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Also if we are going to run with the CMT cluster argument then Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC is only 2 cores, 4 cores or 8 cores due to CCXs.

Man, Intel's been doing single core CPUs for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGG time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just like in the other thread, people are getting hung up on what they think constitutes a core,  this lawsuit hinges not on individual technical definitions but on comparative multi core performance and misleading marketing material.   

In my opinion (and it is just that an opinion), I studied CPU design many moons ago (full disclosure it was a time when the z80 was still viable and the most common processor in the market was the 486 (which also was the first to have an integrated FPU).   I would not call it a full core, because each core shares an FPU and L2 cache, I would call them partial cores.   It to me is exactly the same as the GTX970 ram issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Who bought it a couple of years back.

And the FX aren't too bad, not worse then Ivy-Bridge or Haswell i5, in some modern Games they even beat those two CPUs.

Problem is: It needs special treatment and optimization. If you give that to the Bulldozer Architecture it really runs well (though it still gets hindered by the garbage I/O and L3 Part at only 2GHz)...

6 hours ago, Tristerin said:

1.) Lawsuits like this will be followed up with a Counter Suit. 

2.) This is an 8 core processor.

3.) It shares resources per 2 cores

4.) It only "shuts down" a core if the dual core package it sits on has to share this resource at the same time

5.) In my experience (as a gamer only I don't workstation on this CPU) Ive never found a game that shut down a core.  I monitor my resources at all times on a separate monitor.

I laugh at all you people who dog this chip.  Its viable today.  You've never used one, owned one and are only good at regurgitating what you have read.

I can pick which PC I game on between my FX 8380 and Ryzen 7 - I love my old FX pc.

Most people can only give testimonies like myself.  I own a i5 3470 rig, FX 8350 rig and Ryzen 7 1700 rig.

The i5 3470 4c/4t processor is not nearly as viable today in gaming as my FX 8350, I have paired BOTH with the same GPU (HD 7850 2gb) to test this as I have options (and technically the i5 is like 15% faster).  What I found was that with older games, it was NECK AND NECK, with a 10% difference in frames either way not favoring one chip over the other.  With newer games - The FX pulls ahead in frames.  I stopped attempting to use the i5 once I realized this so no data, just the fact I have 3 choices and Id rather game on the FX 8350 than i5 3470 (its competitor at the time, 2012)

Just get ryzen or upgrade to it if you want AMD. 2500k beat it then and still does, same with the 2600k. 

1 minute ago, Demonking said:

Just get ryzen or upgrade to it if you want AMD. 2500k beat it then and still does, same with the 2600k. 

Do you even read what others posted??

But hey, I can do that too and show that the FX8350 is awesome? Don't believe me, watch the Video:

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

55 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

But hey, I can do that too and show that the FX8350 is awesome? Don't believe me, watch the Video:

Going to steal this video.

I tell people...and they don't listen lol.  Its a damn fine CPU, especially one I bought in 2012.  My Ryzen 7 1700 is amazing, but I wont upgrade my personal gaming rig until there is a reason to.

Did I mention they have a soldered IHS?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

I think the problem is that there is no strong set definition of what a core is.  Well, outside of some form of  1. in that link.  From there it's a pretty loose guideline for what a manufacturer has to follow.  On top of that, you have who going up against Dr. Lisa Su? I mean she is close friends with the head of IBM too, so like this case "could" go in her favor more.   Lisa has an engineering background, and having support from a company like IBM could help her out.

You missed my point, the case doesn't hinge on the definition of a core, as you said it is loosely defined by many different people,  The case hinges on marketing and product representation.    If it can be argued the product doesn't perform like true 8 cores as marketed (e.g because the consumer was using a FP heavy workload or L2 cache was for what ever reason retarding the CPU to that of 4 cores) then AMD will loose, just like Nvidia lost even though it has the full 4GB of ram they advertised it as having.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's when paired with an R9 280.....think GTX 1050 levels of performance, it was also from over 5 years ago=.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

That's when paired with an R9 280.....think GTX 1050 levels of performance, it was also from over 5 years ago=.

Doesn't matter at all.

It shows that there are situations in where the Performance of the FX8350 is better than Sandy and even Ivy Bridge.

And in some (rare) cases can compete with Haswell.

I have an FX8320 right now. Lemme tell you, this shit ain't no damn 8 core chip. That said, while it was false advertising, at least AMD haven't done that since (at least to my knowledge) So I don't see the point in this lawsuit. Will this perhaps set a new standard? I don't think so. I think it was already set when FX came out. This has been a debate since FX was even announced, and since FX, I don't know of a cpu maker saying they have 420 cores when in reality it's only 69 real cores and the rest are logical (again, to my knowledge. I live under a rock so forgive me). Some people argue it is 8 core, while others argue it's only 4. It is indeed only 4, and was marketed as having 8. But that was ages ago, we're so far past that point in time it's now archaic. My only question is, why wait so long to file a lawsuit? The chips aren't worth a bag of chips themselves, so what's the fucking point? Whomever it is that's filed, they clearly have nothing better to do. This is just like Hollywood, you waited way too long...

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It was also shown to be complete and utter nonsense even then. I forget why and I don't care enough to re-watch it, but I remember that video being disproven every time it was posted years ago. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Doesn't matter at all.

It shows that there are situations in where the Performance of the FX8350 is better than Sandy and even Ivy Bridge.

It does matter because the FX cpu would likely bottleneck on anything more than the equivalent of a 1050, while using twice the power of a Sandy Bride or Ivy Bridge CPU.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It does matter because the FX cpu would likely bottleneck on anything more than the equivalent of a 1050, while using twice the power of a Sandy Bride or Ivy Bridge CPU.

Yeah, but after nearly a decade the FX8350 became almost as good in many scenarios and a bit better in a few. If that didn't make it the better buy back then, I don't know what would.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Doesn't matter at all.

It does matter, because the GPU was always the limiting factor. Meaning that it was and still is a shit cpu comparison.

And by Haswell you mean its i3 right?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 hours ago, SuperCooling87 said:

The argument then, is that people didn't pay for the performance of a 6-core, they paid for an 8-core.

That has to be one of the silliest things I've read in a while. There's no such performance measuring unit as "core". You don't buy "8 cores of performance" and instead buy whatever the CPU can output in tests. Otherwise we'd have to lock "1 core" into some sort of performance value instead of physical/logical structure.

19 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It does matter, because the GPU was always the limiting factor. Meaning that it was and still is a shit cpu comparison.

Why the hate of Bulldozer?!

Why can't you be reasonably about it?!

And by Haswell you mean its i3 right?

i5-i7, depending on the game...

If the game was optimized for Bulldozer.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why the hate of Bulldozer?!

Why can't you be reasonably about it?!

i5-i7, depending on the game...

If the game was optimized for Bulldozer.

Link them please

Title should be "AMD Su'd". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Why? And how is it there is FX4300 and FX6300?? Just blood suckers as usual to squeeze the dollar out of AMD since they have been successfull.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

42 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, but after nearly a decade the FX8350 became almost as good in many scenarios and a bit better in a few. If that didn't make it the better buy back then, I don't know what would.

A Ryzen 3 or 5 CPU is cheap, and if a person only has the budget for used parts a better buy would be a Haswell i5 or i7 CPU, using the HardwareUnboxed video linked to earlier, the FX cpu hardly keeps up with a 2500K at the same clock speeds, and the 2500K often has more overclocking room.

5 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Link them please

look it up on GameGPU.

Here you have BF1 where the 9590 beats an i5-4670K...

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-1-test-gpu

There are other games that are better. But you could also look it up yourself. It was around the same time.

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

look it up on GameGPU.

Here you have BF1 where the 9590 beats an i5-4670K...

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-1-test-gpu

There are other games that are better. But you could also look it up yourself. It was around the same time.

Lol your statements you back them

And you are comparing 9590 now?

Hahaha barely

Where's the 4.7 sb or ib then

if you using cherry picked shit like usual to ignorantly prove your hatred

16 minutes ago, pas008 said:

And you are comparing 9590 now?

Hahaha barely

Where's the 4.7 sb or ib then

if you using cherry picked shit like usual to ignorantly prove your hatred

The 9590 just barely keeps up in that test, at 4.7 compared to a 4670K running at 3.4 in their graphs. IMO it doesn't seem like a fair comparison unless both are running the same speed.

And the comparison is pretty flawed only using a single game to compare, even in games that can use all of the FX cores it still doesn't perform like an 8 core when compared to 4 core/4thread i5 cpu's.

27 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A Ryzen 3 or 5 CPU is cheap, and if a person only has the budget for used parts a better buy would be a Haswell i5 or i7 CPU, using the HardwareUnboxed video linked to earlier, the FX cpu hardly keeps up with a 2500K at the same clock speeds, and the 2500K often has more overclocking room.

/s

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, pas008 said:

OK; since you wanted it, here some Proof that the FX can compete with Haswell (at least the i5):

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/FX-9590-CPU-257460/Tests/AMD-FX-9590-im-Test-1081286/

Click on Dirt Showdown

Another Benchmark, where the 8350 competes with the i5-4670K

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-test-gpu

Or lets look at that:

FX8350 beats i5-7600K

Here a compilation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrgepXW7MI

Why so hateful, when someone shows you that Bulldozer is not as bad as you thought?!

As I said, it needs special treatment and Optimizations for the Architecture.

And lets not forget that the FX8350 was a ~150€ CPU!

https://geizhals.de/?phist=852989

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And lets not forget that the FX8350 was a ~150€ CPU!

https://geizhals.de/?phist=852989

It also WAS significantly worse, and required an expensive motherboard and cooler. It was a horrible choice for gaming at the time it was released and even for the next six years or so. It's only more recent that it has started to be somewhat competitive against a 4c/4t i5 -- overclock both, and the i5 gains ground again.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler