Man named Frank Dickman sues Microsoft for $6bn for deliberately upgrading his PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Source: The Inquirer

A New Mexico Windows user has rather ambitiously sued Microsoft for $600m for allegedly borking his computer with an upgrade to Windows 10.

Well, we say $600m because that's what his legal team said. The paperwork actually refers to $6,000,000,000.00 - which is a cool six billion. Frank Dickman, without a hint of melodrama, filed the claim not just against Microsoft, but against Satya Nadella personally, after his Windows 7 to Windows 10upgrade left his computer unusable.

He spoke to Microsoft who referred him back to his OEM, in this case, Asus. This was deemed unsatisfactory, as Dickman believed Asus to be "untrustworthy" and that he would only accept a replacement direct from Microsoft. Asked for a comment by The Register, Microsoft got a bit confused, as there are full instructions on how to roll back to Windows 7 and a 30-day window in which to do so. However, Dickman claims that his backup copy was wiped during the upgrade. So with that, an impasse has been reached. Mr Dickman, who shows a clear understanding of how to use, countered only by a clear lack of understanding about how Windows gets licenced, has said that Microsoft has 30 days to ‘comply'. He will pursue the matter in court unless he is given online access to a 'quality' copy of Windows 7 online so he can restore his computer (which will probably end up being a fresh install anyway) and that his original Asus licence key will work.

giphy.gif

The fuck? What is wrong with people? I know that there are a lot of shitty things Microsoft has done but does this dude really think he can win this case and get paid for 6 billion USD? I've scathingly criticized Microsoft and Windows 10 for so many things like upgrades disguised as a software update, non-anonymized telemetry and shoving UWP down to people's throats but I think this guy is a swindler and he's just like those people who sues companies for everything like the old lady who sued Apple for bumping a glass wall of an Apple Store and later broke her nose.

You guys in the forum, don't pull shit like this please. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

If he loses do you actually think he'll be 6 billion in debt?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Just now, QuantumBit said:

If he loses do you actually think he'll be 6 billion in debt?

I don't know. I just wish the judge in New Mexico to just dismiss the case because it's pointless and ludicrous.

Well he is a Dickman after all

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know. I just wish the judge in New Mexico to just dismiss the case because it's pointless and ludicrous.

Lawyers... Both sides are laughing at him.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

giphy.gif

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I don't even know what to say... But I will say this, if he allowed himself to be connected to the internet without taking any action to block windows from running updates, who's really at fault here? 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

giphy.gif

is that chair blue or is it the light that makes the black chair turns blue. i need to know

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Well he is a Dickman after all

What a dick move

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Lawyers... Both sides are laughing at him.

Dickman reminds me those crazy people who would sue a company because their cat died after placing the poor kitty inside their microwave ovens and their argument would be the company didn't include warnings that it isn't safe for cats. No wonder why some people want to burn this world and start all over again.

Just now, Hiitchy said:

I don't even know what to say... But I will say this, if he allowed himself to be connected to the internet without taking any action to block windows from running updates, who's really at fault here? 

Well, let's say he is a computer illiterate and only knows how to do basic web browsing and words like my dad, he would not know how to block it either.

This is what's wrong with the world. People looking to get rich after a percieved infraction. He's right to be pissed off, but just sort it out... and if you don't want to spend money, then download it for free if you can't find another fix for your legit copy. I'm betting though, that he could just use the windows 10 creation tool with that license anyway and download a legit windows 10 version to use.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Couldn't he just settle this with Microsoft giving him a copy of Windows 7?

Microsoft's PR rep commented that Mr. Dickman can roll back his PC to Windows 7 which is true to all Windows 10 upgrades. I remember when my PC upgraded from 8.1 to 10, it gave me the option to roll it back in a 10 day duration. Dickman said Windows 10 deleted the Windows 7 recovery partition during the upgrade but I call it bullshit.

Edited by hey_yo_
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

I am pretty sure you can revert back to Win7 if you don't like it or is it gone now?

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I am pretty sure you can revert back to Win7 if you don't like it or is it gone now?

It seems that the guy claims the Windows 7 recovery files were deleted during the upgrade. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Microsoft's PR rep commented that Mr. Dickman can roll back his PC to Windows 7 which is true to all Windows 10 upgrades. I remember when my PC upgraded from 8.1 to 10, it gave me the option to roll it back in a 30 day duration. Dickman said Windows 10 deleted the Windows 7 recovery partition during the upgrade but I call it bullshit.

So he lost his backup somehow, he lost his Win 7 recover partition. Next thing is he is gonna lost this lawsuit too, and money

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You can. After the Windows 10 upgrade, it keeps the previous OS for 10 days before getting deleted. Users can roll back the Windows 10 upgrade by rebooting the PC to Advanced Recovery https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

So he lost his backup somehow, he lost his Win 7 recover partition. Next thing is he is gonna lost this lawsuit too, and money

I hope he does. Someone needs to teach this swindler some manners.

As stupid as this case is, I hope he wins

They'll probably end up giving him a Win7 DVD though, as that's the alternative he suggested.

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Microsoft's PR rep commented that Mr. Dickman can roll back his PC to Windows 7 which is true to all Windows 10 upgrades. I remember when my PC upgraded from 8.1 to 10, it gave me the option to roll it back in a 30 day duration. Dickman said Windows 10 deleted the Windows 7 recovery partition during the upgrade but I call it bullshit.

Oh yeah,I had to read it again oops. Windows 10 upgrade should leave everything stored along with Windows.Old being there for 30 days,the OEM partition couldn't have been deleted by the upgrade, he could have ran a cleaning program and wiped out the .Old file but otherwise yep its bs.

This is ridiculous. If it was Canadian dollars, I'd get it, but US DOLLARS? That's just greedy. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Oh yeah,I had to read it again oops. Windows 10 upgrade should leave everything stored along with Windows.Old being there for 30 days,the OEM partition couldn't have been deleted by the upgrade, he could have ran a cleaning program and wiped out the .Old file but otherwise yep its bs.

It stays on the C:\ drive and it's named 'Windows.old". Dickman could've rebooted to advanced recovery options and from there he can go back to Windows 7.

I kinda hope he wins tbh... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

23 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

giphy.gif

I remember some people have actually won cases against MS about all this.

Some were small business owners though; but none of it was millions.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-pays-woman-10000-over-forced-windows-10-install/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-27-woman-wins-usd10k-suing-microsoft-for-unauthorised-windows-10-upgrade

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q