Man named Frank Dickman sues Microsoft for $6bn for deliberately upgrading his PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I hope he wins and the judge makes M$ pay at least 1$ to annoy Dikman, and to affect M$ reputation, they deserve it.

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

I hope he wins and the judge makes M$ pay at least 1$ to annoy Dikman, and to affect M$ reputation, they deserve it.

Even if he wins the full amount, the only part that will effect MS will be the financial cost.  Their reputation will not change.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is the second time I have used this today... WTF is wrong with people?!!!!!! And if he's as tech literate as the article and op suggests then hasn't he heard of backups?

FacethroughPalm.png.40da572f1a3f56d9bcf2b055ed0966b0.png

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

On 2/16/2018 at 12:11 PM, deXxterlab97 said:

So he lost his backup somehow, he lost his Win 7 recover partition. Next thing is he is gonna lost this lawsuit too, and money

Trouble is there are so many people who STILL don't make backup images or recovery USBs... I feel like shouting "FFS people it's 2018, USBs are cheap, and it takes almost zero effort to make a backup image and store it somewhere!"

Unfortunately you still see this on these forums even, where people haven't got a backup OR a USB, which with windows 10 is idiotic as you can no longer get to the recovery options without either being able to get into windows itself or to use a windows install/recovery USB IIRC. Yes it would take minimal effort to download a windows image onto USB, but it would take even less effort to buy a $5 USB drive and leave it as the win10 installer, OR make a recovery USB. $5 people! to save you possibly lots of hassle in the future, especially if you're not very computer savvy.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

47 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Trouble is there are so many people who STILL don't make backup images or recovery USBs... I feel like shouting "FFS people it's 2018, USBs are cheap, and it takes almost zero effort to make a backup image and store it somewhere!"

Unfortunately you still see this on these forums even, where people haven't got a backup OR a USB, which with windows 10 is idiotic as you can no longer get to the recovery options without either being able to get into windows itself or to use a windows install/recovery USB IIRC. Yes it would take minimal effort to download a windows image onto USB, but it would take even less effort to buy a $5 USB drive and leave it as the win10 installer, OR make a recovery USB. $5 people! to save you possibly lots of hassle in the future, especially if you're not very computer savvy.

Since Windows 8 launched Windows has installed it's recovery environment (WinRE) by default and if the system fails to boot on 2 consecutive tries WinRE is launched on the third boot giving the user access to the full suite of recovery tools available.

That said WinRE can only do a boot repair, system restore, system reset (on Windows 10 only) or recover from a Windows back up and is not a replacement for the OEM backup that will recover the PC back to factory defaults.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Since Windows 8 launched Windows has installed it's recovery environment (WinRE) by default and if the system fails to boot on 2 consecutive tries WinRE is launched on the third boot giving the user access to the full suite of recovery tools available.

That said WinRE can only do a boot repair, system restore, system reset (on Windows 10 only) or recover from a Windows back up and is not a replacement for the OEM backup that will recover the PC back to factory defaults.

Yeah, I'm saying that it's better to be safe than sorry, and $5 for a USB with windows installer on it AND having a backup/image is the minimum I do nowadays just in case.

The recovery partition isn't infallible, and the guy claims that the upgrade wiped the recovery partition anyway.. don't think I believe that, but still would be better to have OPTIONS when it comes to your system.

[edit] BTW thanks for the info.. didn't know about the 2 consecutive tries to boot would trigger the recovery.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

also how old is the op, like 5 years old? im sure they thought his name was the funniest thing ever and they had to put it in the title so they could keep laughing at it. 

On 2/16/2018 at 6:59 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

Well he is a Dickman after all

I sense a meme being born.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I sense a meme being born.

Dickman sues AMD for allowing coin miners to artificially inflate price of GPU's.  Claims his CS-GO experience has been effected to the value of $6B.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Dickman sues AMD for allowing coin miners to artificially inflate price of GPU's.  Claims his CS-GO experience has been effected to the value of $6B.

Shhh! Don't give them ideas. :P

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 2/16/2018 at 6:52 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Dickman believed Asus to be "untrustworthy"

Why the hell would you buy from a self proclaimed untrustworthy brand then... Like FFS man stop being a dick and buy a computer from a company you trust...

ASUS sucks (imo), but that's why I don't buy their products (excluding used laptops, if they are alive after 2 years they ain't shit).

One sense I hope this moron wins, because of MS's BS towards windows 10, including going against user preferences.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:36 PM, hey_yo_ said:

I don’t know. I think most product keys of Windows 7 is single use only and might require activation through phone, I’m not sure but Dickman might be using an OEM installation. maybe @GoodBytes can answer.

Not completely true, I registered a Desktop using a Laptops key xD Granted it was a refurbished key...

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Shhh! Don't give them ideas. :P

Dickman wishes to sue LTT user Hey_yo_  for defamation by insinuating that Dickman has no original ideas, which led to him not getting a $6B job as a conceptual scientist. . 

You guys hurt my brain sometimes.

Yes people got forced windows 10 upgrades, even if they clicked cancel. It took a few times, but eventually they were forcibly upgraded without a choice.(this didn't happen to everyone)

Yes the upgrade to Windows 10 can eat your recovery partition provided by the oem. (It ate mine on my hp laptop)

Microsoft has pulled a lot of anti consumer stuff with Windows 10 regarding updates.  I hope this guy wins.  There's no way he'll get anywhere near what's initially asked for, but small cases provide jurisprudence.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

You guys hurt my brain sometimes.

Yes people got forced windows 10 upgrades, even if they clicked cancel. It took a few times, but eventually they were forcibly upgraded without a choice.(this didn't happen to everyone)

Yes the upgrade to Windows 10 can eat your recovery partition provided by the oem. (It ate mine on my hp laptop)

Microsoft has pulled a lot of anti consumer stuff with Windows 10 regarding updates.  I hope this guy wins.  There's no way he'll get anywhere near what's initially asked for, but small cases provide jurisprudence.

I keep hearing people say this, but did it actually happen?

I know the upgrade path presented by MS was unrelenting and in your face, but I have yet to actually see any evidence that when people clicked no it still installed anyway.

Most of the "I didn't want it" claims came from people who gave into the unrelenting nature of the pop ups, not people who woke up to installs after clicking no, I dare say those who woke up to installs did so after closing the pop up window rather than clicking decline". 

On 2/17/2018 at 3:43 PM, mr moose said:

Dickman sues PUBG claiming to have PTSD after being totally rekt by an 8 year old in their game.

We need a comical picture of this man.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Dickman sues PUBG claiming to have PTSD after being totally rekt by an 8 year old in their game.

We need a comical picture of this man.

I nominate:

636214933109131066-AP-Film-Fantastic-Bea

Who sued his management for $25M because he can't control his own spending and was going broke.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/01/31/johnny-depp-lawsuit-countersue/97314582/

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

I keep hearing people say this, but did it actually happen?

I know the upgrade path presented by MS was unrelenting and in your face, but I have yet to actually see any evidence that when people clicked no it still installed anyway.

Most of the "I didn't want it" claims came from people who gave into the unrelenting nature of the pop ups, not people who woke up to installs after clicking no, I dare say those who woke up to installs did so after closing the pop up window rather than clicking decline". 

consent is only granted with yes

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

consent is only granted with yes

So it didn't actually happen then?

No one clicked decline and the upgrade went ahead anyway.