Youtube giving in to VVS epidemic

So in a tweet youtube announced it will allow video's to be shown vertically on mobile phones (for now it seems to only work on iOS but I guess we'll be seeing it soon on android too).

Is this youtube finally giving in to the VVS (Vertical Video Syndrome) Epidemic which so many people seem to suffer from? Even after all the campaining from the Interwebz it seems we are slowly losing this battle and once this become more populair it could very well mean that vertical video's will be something we have to live with,
Guess we should all have a portrait mode monitor in the future next to our normal monitor for consuming this kind of video content.

What are your toughts and how can we prevent this bleak future from happening?

Downvote them all! 

I look forward to viewing "portrait" orientation videos on ultra-side screens. Maybe that's how to fight back. Get youtube to support native (non-letterboxed) 21:9 content :)

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Eww, portrait mode

IMG_2452.JPG.6d466132360184ea8c512005d1cb19b0.JPG

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

So Youtube gave up trying to teach peiple to make viewable videos?

I'm not sure why portrait videos are still a thing. Don't most modern phone cameras have enough resolution to crop a 1920x1080 frame, even held vertically?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

who watches videos that are shot in portrait mode?... i cant think of any youtuber i know of that does that shit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Asking because I don't know: Is there something in the hardware of phone cameras that is restricting it from automatically shooting in landscape even in portrait mode? To elaborate, the camera shoots in landscape format even if you are holding it vertically. 

28 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

who watches videos that are shot in portrait mode?... i cant think of any youtuber i know of that does that shit

A lot of normies have a tendency to record videos on their phones in portrait orientation.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

36 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Asking because I don't know: Is there something in the hardware of phone cameras that is restricting it from automatically shooting in landscape even in portrait mode? To elaborate, the camera shoots in landscape format even if you are holding it vertically. 

it's the image sensor which is not squar. so the complete array in the phone should be rotated 90 degrees. which is in theory possible, but then when you are recording it should show a horizontal recorded image on a vertical screen, so it would waste a lot of space....

Vertical pictures have a place, it's not like every vertical video or picture is pure cancer.

Blasphemy.

They should just prevent vertical videos from uploading in the first place, then shut down the channel of the offender. NOT EVEN IN THE FACE OF ARMAGEDDON. NO COMPROMISE.

Riot my brethren!

@LinusTech promise this will never make it to floatplane :P make it the last bastion of hope against this epidemic!

7 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Vertical pictures have a place, it's not like every vertical video or picture is pure cancer.

Vertical pictures are fine. Vertical VIDEO is cancer, period. In no situation is it appropriate. There is a reason screens have been getting wider and wider - humans see more horizontally than vertically. In a picture it doesn't matter (depending on what you're capturing) but in a video it's unnatural and pointless. And just the idea of having to turn my phone around for every odd video makes my skin crawl, not to mention the fact that this encourages vertical video which I'll only be able to see with black bars on my larger screens.

39 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

How about people like me who record videos from their phone in diagonal?

STRAIGHT (or diagonally...) TO HELL

(disclaimer - I'm obviously exaggerating... but it's still bad)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh no....not viewing a vertical video, on a phone oriented vertically with a vertical screen...like wtf are people complaining?

People will record vertical no matter what. This just makes viewing vertical vids on phones better. 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

How about people like me who record videos from their phone in diagonal?

Dammit guys we have to throw the whole mod away and buy a new one.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Playing Devils advocate here...

But most people hold their phones vertically (and mobile is clearly the market they’re going after here)...

We read books, menus etc vertically...

Most web content is better vertically...

Some marketing team a long time ago decided “widescreen” was a thing and now we’re just used to it...

Hmm, maybe we can get the phone designers to install the camera sideways (So portrait records landscape ect) and this problem will correct itself?

52 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Playing Devils advocate here...

But most people hold their phones vertically (and mobile is clearly the market they’re going after here)...

We read books, menus etc vertically...

Most web content is better vertically...

Some marketing team a long time ago decided “widescreen” was a thing and now we’re just used to it...

Ok, but:

• Human peripheral vision is wide not tall. Even when you consider tallness of our peripheral vision, it is not centered, you see more bottom than top.
    220px-Field_of_view.svg.png
  • Books layout are designed the way they are, because when you read, as you read, you don't read word for word, but rather your eyes see 1 or 2 word following the word you are reading, and processing by your brain has already started at this point. Else, it would be 1 word per line. Mixed with the fact that, only a small area of the center of the eye you have the most details, and this is where we focus, and that is shorter the closer you are.
    600px-Peripheral_vision.svg.png

Also because you need to move a book side to side. Mixed with another factor, and that is ease to resume. If you have a heck of long line, and take a break, finding where you are is time consuming renders the experience lackluster. When you are quick to resume as each line are short, than it is a breeze to pick up where you left off, and continue. The book format has evolved a lot over the years and been perfected, and still writers tries different things.

• Web content is vertical due to the small screen sizes of the old days. And even "non-wide screen" monitors and TV, ARE wide-screen. They are 5:4 aspect ratio, so they are wider than tall. They weren't made wide as we know it, since day 1, due to technological limitation, and already high cost.

• "Wide screen" was there since ever. You can point to movie theaters always being wide screen... but it goes before that. Plays in an actual theaters, were always designed to be wide. And that was since the Romain times, if not, even before.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

When I went to watch the Star Wars movie, they had R2D2 there for photo ops. This guy wanted his picture, and his wife went to take a vertical photo. His response, "What the hell are you doing?! Landscape! Never go full portrait."

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

When I went to watch the Star Wars movie, they had R2D2 there for photo ops. This guy wanted his picture, and his wife went to take a vertical photo. His response, "What the hell are you doing?! Landscape! Never go full portrait."

guess she was lucky he didn't divorce her over it :P.

I am from the older generation and barely use my phone. I played a lot of PC games but I never ever did play any phone games.

I watch youtube on my laptop and PC a lot but never from my phone.  

6 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Eww, portrait mode

IMG_2452.JPG.6d466132360184ea8c512005d1cb19b0.JPG

Natsuki...?

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

6 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm not sure why portrait videos are still a thing. Don't most modern phone cameras have enough resolution to crop a 1920x1080 frame, even held vertically?

Most modern phone cameras have 4k capabilities, so...yeah.

I think there is a perfectly logical explanation for why portrait videos are still a thing:

966955_1.jpg

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

4 hours ago, KE2012 said:

Hmm, maybe we can get the phone designers to install the camera sideways (So portrait records landscape ect) and this problem will correct itself?

Only way to really make it work properly is probably having a image sensor array which can rotate or having some kind of lense which can rotate the image 90 degrees when needed, so it just always films in the right mode.