Youtube giving in to VVS epidemic

As much as we might hate people who shoot vertical video without a good reason, YouTube isn't going to change behavior by letting the videos show with black bars around them.  It might as well offer the best presentation possible.  This probably won't encourage more vertical video.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:33 AM, KE2012 said:

Hmm, maybe we can get the phone designers to install the camera sideways (So portrait records landscape ect) and this problem will correct itself?

How about we just make it legal to backhand the shit out of anyone caught filming in vertical?

I feel like that would solve this problem. Would actually solve a lot of problems.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't understand, this make vertical video viewable vertically with mobile phones?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Personally, I blame the Viners. They spawned both Jake and Logan Paul and now fucking this.

We need vine-cleansing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 22/12/2017 at 10:10 PM, porina said:

Downvote them all! 

I look forward to viewing "portrait" orientation videos on ultra-side screens. Maybe that's how to fight back. Get youtube to support native (non-letterboxed) 21:9 content :)

They do. I uploaded a bunch of videos in 21:9 and they all work fine.

1 hour ago, Dredgy said:

They do. I uploaded a bunch of videos in 21:9 and they all work fine.

Does it support 21:9 then? I have to admit I've not looked recently, but when I initially got my UW about a couple years ago, I looked for content and they're letterboxed into 16:9, which is then pillar boxed into 21:9 so I get a tiny bit in the middle of the screen.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Does it support 21:9 then? I have to admit I've not looked recently, but when I initially got my UW about a couple years ago, I looked for content and they're letterboxed into 16:9, which is then pillar boxed into 21:9 so I get a tiny bit in the middle of the screen.

Yes, the issue is I think most people render their videos with the black bars. Content that’s actually rendered at 2560*1080 will work naturally (though you may have to set quality to 1440p, I’m not sure)

4 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Yes, the issue is I think most people render their videos with the black bars. Content that’s actually rendered at 2560*1080 will work naturally (though you may have to set quality to 1440p, I’m not sure)

Thanks. I'll have to revisit this one another day :) 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 12/22/2017 at 4:49 PM, daniielrp said:

Playing Devils advocate here...

But most people hold their phones vertically (and mobile is clearly the market they’re going after here)...

We read books, menus etc vertically...

Most web content is better vertically...

Some marketing team a long time ago decided “widescreen” was a thing and now we’re just used to it...

You don't happen to be related to this guy, are you?

Untitled.jpg.15109efb3beb2056a914aa1bfbdeb7b6.jpg

I thought of a solution a while ago and I think Apple could actually add this and "get away with it", and once they do, others will catch on in a few years.  Basically, just have the software always crop out a proper landscape rectangle from the sensor regardless of how the device is held, using the accelerometer to make sure it's level.  Eventually people will catch on that they can see what they're filming more clearly if they hold their phone in landscape than portrait

videorotate.gif

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

a94.jpg

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I thought of a solution a while ago and I think Apple could actually add this and "get away with it", and once they do, others will catch on in a few years.  Basically, just have the software always crop out a proper landscape rectangle from the sensor regardless of how the device is held, using the accelerometer to make sure it's level.  Eventually people will catch on that they can see what they're filming more clearly if they hold their phone in landscape than portrait

You really think apple users will notice this? Have you ever seen video's shot by the average phone user? It's not like they are going to notice their video is worse that way, especially after they applied all their crappy filters over it ....

16 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

You really think apple users will notice this? Have you ever seen video's shot by the average phone user? It's not like they are going to notice their video is worse that way, especially after they applied all their crappy filters over it ....

Sad but true.

The average person (not just Apple users, any person) is basically slightly above a chimpanzees in terms of technology literacy.

2 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

Well tbh I don't really care since it will at least generate a proper landscape video either way.  At least this will lead them in the right direction though rather than the alternative, which is to ignore the accelerometer and just lockout rotation altogether, so anything filmed in portrait is actually just sideways landscape

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The average person (not just Apple users, any person) is basically slightly above a chimpanzees in terms of technology literacy

You're not giving the chimps enough credit.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Eventually people will catch on

Regardless of context, doubtful.

Every OEM could make it so their devices self destructed when filming vertically, and many people still probably wouldn't get the hint.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Every OEM could make it so their devices self destructed when filming vertically, and many people still probably wouldn't get the hint.

Samsung already tried with the note 7 but indeed people didn't understand ;).

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You're not giving the chimps enough credit.

Regardless of context, doubtful.

xD that might be true... well in that case, I think my idea makes the most sense then, since it promises to deliver a proper video no matter what, where as simply disabling rotation detection would cause videos to not only still be filmed in portrait, but to play sideways as well

Videos will be in whichever format they were shot in / edited to. It only makes sense for video players to make the best use of the available screen in each case. I'm surprised there even is an announcement stating "Now the YouTube player on iOS will automatically adapt to the shape of the video you’re viewing!". It should be step 1 for the player. As in 2007.