AMD Moving Further Away from Multi-GPU; RX Vega Won't be Getting 3 or 4 way Support

DocSwag

Source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3227907/components-graphics/radeon-rx-vega-no-4-way-crossfire-games.html

On Thursday, AMD released Radeon Software 17.9.2, a driver that unlocks 2-way multi-GPU support in the company’s newly released Radeon RX Vega graphics cards. Great! But also weird. Previous Radeon generations supported up to 4-way CrossFire configurations. No more. In response to a PCWorld follow-up question, AMD confirmed that RX Vega will top out at 2-way configurations—at least in games.

“We have delivered two-way mGPU support in games,” and AMD representative told PCWorld via email. “Three- and four-way configurations will continue being supported in compute and professional applications.”

There’s a caveat to all this. CrossFire and SLI enable multi-GPU support in DirectX 9 and DX11 games via AMD and Nvidia profiles, respectively. The new DirectX 12 tech found in Windows 10 requires developers to explicitly build multi-GPU support into their games instead of relying on those profiles. More advanced 3- and 4-way multi-GPU support will still work in DirectX 12 games that want to take the time to bake in that capability. But considering how few DX12 games currently support multi-GPU whatsoever, and how deeply niche 4-way fire-breathing gaming PCs actually are, don’t expect to see it embraced by DX12 games often.

This isn't completely unexpected but still somewhat of a surprise nonetheless. It's been known AMD has been distancing itself from crossfire for a while, with them saying they're moving away from crossfire during the vega launch and then not enabling crossfire, or should I say mGPU, on vega at all until just a few days ago, but this still comes as somewhat of a surprise given that just a year ago AMD was pushing crossfire pretty heavily. One of their first Polaris 10 demos was of rx 480 CF against a gtx 1080. And now, just a year later, they're dropping 3 and 4 way support and de-emphasizing 2 way.

The trend was started by Nvidia last year with Pascal but I don't think we were all expecting AMD to follow in Nvidia's footsteps.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

I miss the dual gpu cards. Sheer engineering aspect was awesome.

Asus confirmed a new ares, I'm legitimately excited to see how they cool it.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

Asus confirmed a new ares, I'm legitimately excited to see how they cool it.

Ares was AMD and Mars was Nvidia right? Those cards are going to be a fire hazard unless they decide to use mid tear cards again like last time.Curious on how the cooler would look. Definitly going need a dual rad loop cause a air cooler would run like a grill

I think it's logical for AMD to abandon anything more than two-way support for video cards. NVIDIA made the right decision, and AMD made the right decision by following suit.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As long as both companies retain support for dual GPU's, I guess this is fine.

I know that multi-gpu for gaming is never ideal, but it just looks so awesome in build.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hmm, titan zp (or zv) with an RX Vega 64x2 (Or Navi 64x2) in mGPU may be the answer that 1200+W power supplies were looking for.

51 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

As long as both companies retain support for dual GPU's, I guess this is fine.

I know that multi-gpu for gaming is never idea, but it just looks so awesome in build.

Voodoo2 SLI FTW (it really does look awesome, I just need a set of heatsinks for both).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

To be honest they should allow up to 8 - way crossfire with TR CPU's and also ship a 3KW PSU.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

About time. I mean I think maybe 2 GPU on one card might still be an okay idea, but I've never really been a proponent of multi-gpu setups for the average consumer.

DX12 mgpu means this is irrelevant, 1-4 will be automatically supported if the dev chooses so.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Come on.

There isn't a power supply in the world that can handle 4 RX Vega 64s anyways.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

I think you guys are misunderstanding things.

AMD is simply not making the effort to make profiles and all the shitty work for DirectX 11 and Crossfire. 

On DirectX 12, the game can simply access all the available graphic cards in the computer and work with them in parallel with minimal interaction with the graphics card drivers.

It's something that's supposed to be a DirectX 12 / Vulkan thing, so AMD is just saying they're moving from proprietary things like Crossfire (or the equivalent SLI from nVidia) to just letting game developers work harder to manage the cards.

4 minutes ago, Vode said:

Come on.

Yeah, you can, just set the power limit to  minus some percent to make sure the card won't go over 300 watts, then use a 1600w power supply. It's possible.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

to just letting game developers work harder to manage the cards.

Let's hope it's super simple to code for, because I can't see them putting major effort in for like 0.5% of the possible market :(

2 hours ago, Vode said:

Come on.

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Yes there is. Super Flower has a 2000W PSU. 

My IBM x3500 M4 has dual 900W PSU, I'm sure it can do it. Our DL580's at work have quad 1500W PSUs so I'm quite sure that can do it too :).

My NEX1500 in OC 1650 mode might just struggle to do it, send me 4 and I'll tell you B|

bye bye technology i never had and could never afford

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Shame though expected due to nature of new low level APIs so they no longer work on profiles, but game devs to leverage it as featureset of DX12/Vulkan no. Cause it's supported by nature of those APIs is it not. 

But having two GPUs support at least is grat to have though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I mean who buys dual gpu's anymore? Especially when you can just by a 1080/1080ti and be happy. No sli/crossfire problems, cheaper, less power. 

11 hours ago, Potato*Salad said:

To be honest they should allow up to 8 - way crossfire with TR CPU's and also ship a 3KW PSU.

Developers should start using ray trace. That should scale nicely, though still might be too slow for 4k 60 fps. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

18 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I mean who buys dual gpu's anymore? Especially when you can just by a 1080/1080ti and be happy. No sli/crossfire problems, cheaper, less power. 

Powerful single card + Gsync/Freesync = Win.

(Ti + PG348 here)

11 hours ago, Swatson said:

DX12 mgpu means this is irrelevant, 1-4 will be automatically supported if the dev chooses so.

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

I think you guys are misunderstanding things.

AMD is simply not making the effort to make profiles and all the shitty work for DirectX 11 and Crossfire. 

On DirectX 12, the game can simply access all the available graphic cards in the computer and work with them in parallel with minimal interaction with the graphics card drivers.

It's something that's supposed to be a DirectX 12 / Vulkan thing, so AMD is just saying they're moving from proprietary things like Crossfire (or the equivalent SLI from nVidia) to just letting game developers work harder to manage the cards.

Yeah, you can, just set the power limit to  minus some percent to make sure the card won't go over 300 watts, then use a 1600w power supply. It's possible.

Thing is, not all dx12 games support it. There are quite a few dx12 games out there but the only one that supports it is ashes.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb