Intel To Launch Ice Lake 8 Core, 16 Thread Mainstream CPUs in Second Half of 2018

The_Tempo_Golem

an exciting new update about intel's next generation of CPUs. finaly they are getting on the same level as AMD ryzen

the article says "The details come from Eurocom, a known manufacturer of high-end laptops and workstations" 

not much else to say about it besides that it means that may soon no longer be the best 8c/16t option soon

https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/intel-10nm-ice-lake-8-core-16-thread-mainstream-cpu-leak/amp/#ampshare=http://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-ice-lake-8-core-16-thread-mainstream-cpu-leak/

Want free ram?

Get some here:

I wonder what their obsession with Lakes is.

Need to follow the tech news format btw.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Thanks AMD :D

Edited by PCGuy_5960

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

I wonder what their obsession with Lakes is.

Need to follow the tech news format btw.

They've been in Alcohol Lake.

I'll be getting this if in the $350 price range.

OMG Coffee butchered the 7800x and 7820x and this rumoured Ice Lake will kill the 7900x, the cheapest i9. X299 is really a failure at this point.

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Isn't Zen 2 supposed to be out around that time with 12 core mainstream desktop?

Most likely no. There's no space for another CCX unit on the CPU.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Intels core counts in the wake of ryzen 

The source is WCCF tech so please view with a truck of salt. It would be verry unlikely for Intel to go so quickly to 8 core CPUs when they still have the IPC and clock speed advantage, and if this is on 10 nm the yields would be horrendous.

After upgrading to a 1080/Ti and my monitors, I have no reason to upgrade until 2019 or games start properly utilizing more than 4c/8t. Plus at 1440p, think my CPU will last a bit longer

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

19 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

OMG Coffee butchered the 7800x and 7820x and this rumoured Ice Lake will kill the 7900x, the cheapest i9. X299 is really a failure at this point.

Most likely no. There's no space for another CCX unit on the CPU.

Each CCX on zen2/+ is rumored to have six cores.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Although this may give Intel 100% CPU benchmark dominance if true (and priced correctly), I think there's one factor in AMD's favor that's been neglected: APU's. By the time this comes out, it's likely that AMD will have released an mainstream APU capable of flawless Ultra 1080p gaming, which is where the majority of the gaming market is. This would eliminate the need for any card less powerful than a 1060, while also making a comparable Intel/Nvidia build hundreds of dollars more expensive than just an AMD APU build. Of course, the high end gaming market will likely remain Intel, but for the majority of gaming builds AMD would have a huge advantage.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

No matter who wins, this will be great for gamers all around because developers will be forced to code games for many-core processors now, they won't even have a choice.

Games are largely serial in nature, pyo. We stand to benefit more from them trying to take advantage of more efficient instruction sets like AVX2 more than trying to parallelize tasks that have little room for it, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Intel and AMD are in a core war, yet according to you if these cores have no benefit to gaming, why add them at all? 

There is a lot more to the CPU market than just gaming. And also, the FX8 sold decently even though Intel performed far better -- bigger numbers sell. 

Because if you are correct, Intel and AMD should probably focus beyond silicon to some other material that has more room for either IPC gains, increased clock-speed or both.

It's a lot easier/cheaper to add cores that it is to figure out how to work with a new material and or develop a new architecture -- AMD created a brand new architecture (e.g. Zen), and even it couldn't match Intel's IPC (of course Intel is using a much more mature architecture, but the point is that increasing core count is a LOT easier than increasing IPC -- regardless of how you choose to go about doing it). 

Also, not every single person aout there is a "content creator." Nearly everyone that will use these CPUs are gamers. 

That's incredibly naive to think that. And it's even more naive to think that it would be profitable for Intel/AMD to develop an entire architecture around CPUs that target non-gamers and then an entirely separate one for gamers. As it is, Intel basically only does that for the niche market that the Xeon Phi caters to, and it can get away with that because of its high price tag -- a 9700k priced at $2000 isn't selling. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

Intel and AMD are in a core war, yet according to you if these cores have no benefit to gaming, why add them at all? 

I didn't say there was no benefit, I said that there was little benefit, pyo. And Gaming, far from the only thing that computers are used for, pyo.

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Because if you are correct, Intel and AMD should probably focus beyond silicon to some other material that has more room for either IPC gains

That takes time, Intel's already doing R&D into moving past silicon, pyo. It doesn't happen over night, pyo. Hell, people like to say that Skylake was in development for a good 3 years before release, but that sounds like a gross underestimate to me, pyo.

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If so, then why are intel and AMD adding cores in the first place if it has no benefit to the people who will primarily use these CPU's.

Both Intel and AMD's mainstream CPUs are used for workstations where things like ECC memory are not a primary concern, pyo. They're not just used by herp a derp consumers, pyo.

5 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Also not, not every single person aout there is a "content creator."

No, but many people will multitask more if they know that their systems can allow it, pyo.

6 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Nearly everyone that will use these CPUs are gamers. 

Explain your reasoning behind that, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

uhh, intel does this already...

Ever since around 2010 Intel has segmented their "mainstream" and "enthusiast" platforms. I am referring to how Intel has had the LGA115X sockets that only support up to 4 core CPUs while Intel also has an enthusiest platform that can even use Xeon server processors and server RAM. Clearly they are optimized for each persons needs and workflow. Yes, they are somewhat interchangeable, (I could game on X299 and edit videos on Z270) but each chipset is trying to target a different audience.

Isn't the workstation platform better for game streaming?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I didn't say there was no benefit, I said that there was little benefit, pyo. And Gaming, far from the only thing that computers are used for, pyo.

That takes time, Intel's already doing R&D into moving past silicon, pyo. It doesn't happen over night, pyo. Hell, people like to say that Skylake was in development for a good 3 years before release, but that sounds like a gross underestimate to me, pyo.

Both Intel and AMD's mainstream CPUs are used for workstations where things like ECC memory are not a primary concern, pyo. They're not just used by herp a derp consumers, pyo.

No, but many people will multitask more if they know that their systems can allow it, pyo.

Explain your reasoning behind that, pyo.

pyo

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

what the fuck is going on , intel

kaby lake 7th gen -> kaby lake refresh 8th gen / coffee lake (slightly better ipc/ghz) 8th gen / cannon lake (10nm) 8th gen -> ice lake, only one quarter after 8th gen is out, 9th gen

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

uhh, intel does this already...

Ever since around 2010 Intel has segmented their "mainstream" and "enthusiast" platforms. I am referring to how Intel has had the LGA115X sockets that only support up to 4 core CPUs while Intel also has an enthusiest platform that can even use Xeon server processors and server RAM. Clearly they are optimized for each persons needs and workflow. Yes, they are somewhat interchangeable, (I could game on X299 and edit videos on Z270) but each chipset is trying to target a different audience.

That's market fragmentation, but the architecture is still largely the same (SLX/SLSP cache restructure), pyo. But after that, it's just a difference of IMC, core count, and iGPU, pyo. Of which, the core count only affects parallelization and the heat thrown out with the clockspeed/voltage increase, pyo. The IMC supports the multitasking ability of the cores, and AVX1/2/512 performance, pyo.

Most consumer workloads don't see much benefit past 4c/8t (some don't see much past 4c/4t), so not having as many cores as possibles just reduces SKUs that ultimately don't need to be there, pyo. But most of them do benefit from higher clocks and IPC if possible (as well as reducing bottlenecks on the subsystems), pyo.

Whereas prosumer and server workloads can benefit from higher clocks and fewer cores, or more cores and lower clocks, hence why we have everything ranging from quadcores to 22+cores, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

They're running out of ways to make their CPUs faster, so they are running out of names as well 

kaby lake refresh is useless, and so is coffee lake if cannon lake can beat them,  

they're scrambling to beat ryzen. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, Vode said:

pyo

Pyo. pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Pyo. pyo.

Pyo. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.