BitsAndChips: entry-level Threadripper 16c/32t to come at the nice low price of $849

Only source I have is BitsAndChips' Twitter:

He adds in one of the comments:

According to my sources, a ThreadRipper 16C/32T (Dies+Package+Testing) cost AMD about 110-120$. 849$-110/120$ = 739/729$ Not bad. :)

That's pretty damn low if you ask me. Then again, it is multiple smaller dies making up the CPU unlike Intel who goes for one massive chip. And with yields of the 8-core Ryzen CPU apparently at 80% for all 8-core SKUs (meaning 6- and 4-core CPUs are perfectly functioning 8-core dies with functioning cores cut off) this allows AMD to be very, very aggressive with pricing.

All good stuff. But then again, one massive bastard of a rumour. Nothing concrete at all.

Ye ole' train

im thinking we may have 16c for just under $1k but motherboards starting at $400...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

yeah that price seems about right any higher and intel would probably sell more of the i9

while worth taking with a mountain of salt, if true, and how much cheaper it is than xeons, it could be a fantastic option for any enterprise who needs 100's of monster workstations.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

R7 1700 8/16 $319

So I would expect the Threadripper 16/32 version of the R7 1700 to cost x2 + something about $100-$150 extra which is not that much surprising really. (considering how AMD manufactures the Threadripper by basically taking multiple dies instead of new architecture/single big die like Intel).

However, the motherboards will be this time a lot more pricey.

So I find this rumor quite plausible.

8Intel keeps the performance edge with their 18 core but they overpriced as usual, either because they gauge prices with the Intel tax or because they can't produce them cheaply enough, which can explain why amd price so low in comparison.

18 minutes ago, WereCat said:

R7 1700 8/16 $319

So I would expect the Threadripper 16/32 version of the R7 1700 to cost x2 + something about $100-$150 extra which is not that much surprising really. (considering how AMD manufactures the Threadripper by basically taking multiple dies instead of new architecture/single big die like Intel).

However, the motherboards will be this time a lot more pricey.

So I find this rumor quite plausible.

X299 won't be cheap either anyway!

We could very well have the choice between dual socket motherboard +RAM + 2× 16 cores/32 threads amd chip at the same cost as one X299+RAM + Intel 18 cores chip.

That probably won't fare well for Intel even if they keep the best chip of the market

59 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im thinking we may have 16c for just under $1k but motherboards starting at $400...

I would expect x399 MOBO to be priced around the same as x299 (x99) so $200-$500. and a month ago it was $1300+ for a 8c16t CPU with MOBO, now it is $1100+ for 16c32t for CPU and MOBO I think that is awesome.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

B&C has had pretty good quality rumors that have panned out recently, so this makes a lot of sense.

The much more interesting aspect is the weaved-in pricing that's being suggested. In other words, the top-speed 12c might be $899 or so.  Rather than a linear stack of Cores + Speeds.  Makes for some very interesting buying options.  If you need more speed than too many extra cores or if you need a lot of cores but the extra speed is worthless, you suddenly have options.

If this is true, that could wreck any current Intel i7s/i9s for value. Would put Xeons in danger too, Intel may actually have to lower their prices for once. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

oh boy, this is great if it is true. This is so cheap and then their 10c (the CPU I want) is also going to be a "cheap" CPU. F yeah.

Plus this must be a wake-up call for Intel about their pricing.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

It would be nice and all (how much would the 10-core and 12-core variants cost then?), but if the costs part is true, I'm really interesting in what it may mean for the server and enterprise market, where there's little room to slap a "gaming" sticker somewhere and charge higher prices...

2 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

RIP EU customers.

What do you mean?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

The package is crap though. 4 dies under one IHS. 

Intel hasn't done dual die let alone quad die in years. Don't think Intel ever done quad die. 

AMD pls. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

I would expect x399 MOBO to be priced around the same as x299 (x99) so $200-$500. and a month ago it was $1300+ for a 8c16t CPU with MOBO, now it is $1100+ for 16c32t for CPU and MOBO I think that is awesome.

Agree motherboard pricing is irrelevant because it won't be more than X299 which is also expensive. If that pricing is true then Intel will need any of the following:

- Dumb blind loyalty

- Contracts tying business to Intel products (though I don't think they are allowed to do this anymore since being caught and taken to court)

- Severe price drops

- Massive performance gains (>50%)

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Intel hasn't done dual die let alone quad die in years. Don't think Intel ever done quad die. 

AMD pls. 

Let's wait to see how well it works :P if this price is correct and the performance isn't too gimped it seems to be extremely good value

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

AMD pls. 

CCX latency has a very small effect on performance so if enough performance is there then it will be very hard to justify paying double for the Intel. Price is key here.

24 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It would be nice and all (how much would the 10-core and 12-core variants cost then?), but if the costs part is true, I'm really interesting in what it may mean for the server and enterprise market, where there's little room to slap a "gaming" sticker somewhere and charge higher prices...

That market would be what Epyc is for.

Threadripper is half an Epyc server cpu just like the 18 core i9 is a cut down Xeon.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Let's wait to see how well it works :P if this price is correct and the performance isn't too gimped it seems to be extremely good value

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

CCX latency has a very small effect on performance so if enough performance is there then it will be very hard to justify paying double for the Intel. Price is key here.

Wonder how toasty the middle will get. Imagine mounting a cooler to find there's a hotspot in one corner. lol

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

AMD pls. 

Threadripper will be dual die. I don't expect it to be that much of an issue though. Intel's implementations of dual die ( namely the pentium d and early c2q) used the FSB for inter chip communication. Bandwidth was significantly lower, and they had to share it with the rest of the system. I don't believe this is the case here. 

Previous attempts can almost be qualified as rush-jobs to get multi-core to the market asap. This was planned. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Wonder how toasty the middle will get. Imagine mounting a cooler to find there's a hotspot in one corner. lol

Probably still a lot cooler than the unsoldered 18 core Intel lol...

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

That market would be what Epyc is for.

Yes...?
My point is that if the costs reported in this thread are correct, then AMD can set very competitive prices in the Server market, since Naples is based on the same architecture and manufacturing process.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Threadripper is half an Epyc server cpu just like the 18 core i9 is a cut down Xeon.

They are not: Xeons are in no way "combined i7s" the way the server parts are combined Ryzen dies.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes...?
My point is that if the costs reported in this thread are correct, then AMD can set very competitive prices in the Server market, since Naples is based on the same architecture and manufacturing process.

They are not: Xeons are in no way "combined i7s" the way the server parts are combined Ryzen dies.

I never said they were combined i7s... But the 18 core is based on the higher core count xeon