BitsAndChips: entry-level Threadripper 16c/32t to come at the nice low price of $849

56 minutes ago, Lays said:

Why do you think a chip based off a bunch of chips that could barely do 4 ghz with less cores is going to magically clock through the roof? Even if the AMD chip is slightly higher clocked, we've all seen how horrific the OC headroom is on the Ryzen chips so far, it's pretty bad lol.  In terms of SKX clocks, all you really have to do is look at normal Skylake chips and how they clock, and translate it to the extreme parts lol, it's been pretty similar for years now.

You read my statement with the wrong assumption.  The i9-7900X is already at a base clock of 3.3 Ghz. I expect the top-end Threadripper to clock right around the 1800X, or maybe base clock just slightly below.  The Intel 18c, coming over from the Xeon version, is likely not going to be clocked above 3 Ghz.  Unless TDP is going well into the 200w+ range.  So I fully expect the TR parts to have a higher Base clock than the SKX part.

Now, under extreme OC? Sure, someone will probably get that to an all-core 4.7 Ghz or something nutty.  But who's running that as their HEDT rig they normally use?

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You read my statement with the wrong assumption.  The i9-7900X is already at a base clock of 3.3 Ghz. I expect the top-end Threadripper to clock right around the 1800X, or maybe base clock just slightly below.  The Intel 18c, coming over from the Xeon version, is likely not going to be clocked above 3 Ghz.  Unless TDP is going well into the 200w+ range.  So I fully expect the TR parts to have a higher Base clock than the SKX part.

Now, under extreme OC? Sure, someone will probably get that to an all-core 4.7 Ghz or something nutty.  But who's running that as their HEDT rig they normally use?

what do you mean by extreme OC?  Also base clock isn't the only thing that matters when we have boost clocks on CPU's now.  I'm not entirely sure how many things I can talk about in terms of these new CPU's, I'm under NDA.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Lays said:

what do you mean by extreme OC?  Also base clock isn't the only thing that matters when we have boost clocks on CPU's now.  I'm not entirely sure how many things I can talk about in terms of these new CPU's, I'm under NDA.

I guess the thinking is since the AMD TR and Naples CPUs are multi die based that they will be able to have higher base clocks due to that. It is a decent thought but TDP is still the limiting factor multi die or single die.

Multi die does allow for wider/better heat dissipation though.

2 hours ago, Lays said:

hi *waves*

Why do you think a chip based off a bunch of chips that could barely do 4 ghz with less cores is going to magically clock through the roof? Even if the AMD chip is slightly higher clocked, we've all seen how horrific the OC headroom is on the Ryzen chips so far, it's pretty bad lol.  In terms of SKX clocks, all you really have to do is look at normal Skylake chips and how they clock, and translate it to the extreme parts lol, it's been pretty similar for years now.

Pricing is official for Intel so we know it's way more, if the leak is correct for the AMD 16 core then the price difference is $1200, that's $600 per core - for that to be worth it those cores need to amazing. Linus explains it pretty well in the latest video, which to be fair is impressive and very brave. It must have taken a lot for him to speak out against a company that provides him with free cutting edge tech. Clock speeds are announced for threadripper and Intels "we are waiting for threadripper and then determining clocks" shows the product isn't ready and is a last minute push to counter threadripper, in on mobile so I won't go on too much but Linus explains it pretty well. The reason it's being compared to the 18 core is because it's the top offering from each side with a colossal price gap.

That price is insanely good! Like....too good to pass up.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X