Microsoft downloading windows 10 onto windows 7 & 8 users without users knowledge or permission

pixeldensity

It seems Microsoft is downloading Win10 onto windows 7 & 8 users PCs without the user's knowledge.

The files needed to install Windows 10 are being automatically downloaded to Windows 7 and 8.1 users by Windows Update—even if users have no intention of upgrading.

According to The Register, the upgrade files are being downloaded even by users who have not opted to digitally “reserve” a copy of Windows 10 in Microsoft’s app.

This is causing problems for some users who don't want to upgrade as well as problems for others because the size of the download is around 3GB which could eat some bandwidth or push data towards their caps.

Unlike regular Windows Update files, the Windows 10 update is obviously rather large—somewhere in the region of 3GB, which not everyone will have free. Worse still, if a user is on a metered connection and can only download a limited amount of data, then the update could secretly screw up their bandwidth allowance.

And here is M$ reason for doing this.

Microsoft confirmed the news to The Register, saying that “For those who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help customers prepare their devices for Windows 10 by downloading the files necessary for future installation.”

Personally I think this is a bad move since it should be up to the user to choosing when they want them to download the update onto their PCs

Source : http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-being-auto-downloaded-to-windows-7-and-8-1730183295

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

It seems Microsoft is downloading Win10 onto windows 7 & 8 users PCs without the user's knowledge.

This is causing problems for some users who don't want to upgrade as well as problems for others because the size of the download is around 3GB which could eat some bandwidth or push data towards their caps.

And here is M$ reason for doing this.

Personally I think this is a bad move since it should be up to the user to choosing when they want them to download the update onto their PCs

Source : http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-being-auto-downloaded-to-windows-7-and-8-1730183295

The user chose automatic updates.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

This happens if automatic updates are enabled. Kind of sketchy, but Windows 10 goes through Windows Update and if you have automatic updates enabled then well it makes sense.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

It's part of automatic update though. It wouldn't be very automatic if you had to manually install updates.

Breaking news! Windows Update's automatic update setting does its thing, because Windows 10 is delivered over Windows Update. More at 11.

Breaking news! Apparently it's too hard for Microsoft to put the W10 download in the "Optional" tab! More ignorance at 11!

It Kinda makes sense to me. If WUs are set to Automatic, then Windows 10 should download automatically, because it's an update. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I know it's automatic option but they should've added an option to downloading a new OS.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

All you need to do is not install or uninstall the update that triggers the upgrade.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Breaking news! Apparently it's too hard for Microsoft to put the W10 download in the "Optional" tab! More ignorance at 11!

If its optional, then it won't install automatically once your reserve your copy on Get Windows 10 app.

The way Microsoft decided to implement it, the update needs to be recommended.

This is also no news. It was doing this since the release of Windows 10. Most people didn't see it, because they either reserved it, or did it at the same time Windows 10 was out. The reserve part was for getting it before Windows 10 was released so that you can enjoy it from day 1.

Wow that's shitty, I just turned auto updates off. I have no desire to downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 right now since I'm playing Fallout 3, which seems to be a pain to get running in versions 8 and 10 from what I have heard.

The user chose automatic updates.

they didn't choose a whole new fucking OS  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Vista. You have saved my computer once again.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It is weird that Microsoft would still issue the upgrade even if they had automatic updates enabled. Updates shouldn't = upgrades without consent.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

What the hell MS!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Well that explains why my 20 gb datacap is ruined. thanks MS. 

to those who wonder, the 20 gb datacap is the best option for internet I have where I live. it's mobile broadband on weak 4G coverage.

EDIT: There are three computers with auto updates enabled here, which is why my datacap is ruined.  

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I just set up a fresh pc at work yesterday and it came with Windows 8.1 and ran all the updates and set up automatic downloads for them and the windows 10 update was in the optional folder...

i have nothing to hide  :rolleyes: (yea right lol)

so...

i am ok with all this crap  ^_^

but...

anonymity

"is your right"  :ph34r:

is Linux time  B)

Didn't even notice on other machine, storage or broadband wise. lol

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Speaking of automatic updates, how is it that my Windows 7 updated itself three days ago, without my input or permission, even though I have (or had?) automatic updates turned off?

Seriously MS, stop fucking with other peoples machines.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Haha. Another small nudge from Microsoft.

They really want us upgraded and signed into W10 with a Microsoft Account huh?

Not without permission. Anyone that selects "Automatic updates" is fair game.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Stay on topic please.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch