Experiences with non-techies

I should add this is not me complaining about helping out or being asked to help but it was occasionally to a detriment haha.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

• 2 weeks later...

When people are still using USB sticks to store their personal documents and applications on them and then they lose & forget them all the time around the school building even though everybody has got access to 1 TB of free to use OneDrive Cloud Storage. When people still don't get it that they have to move all of their data that is on the Home drive on their Image on the Server over to OneDrive by end of next week because that will all be deleted because my school is moving to a complete Cloud solution.

Also I see everyday people using their phones in public with full brightness showing everybody what they've got on screen. The stuff I've seen on peoples phones is just ridiculous to say the least...

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Oh Boy , i could flood this thread with examples here's a good one

"xxx Customer service center, you are speaking to Nico, how may i help you"

"My Computer stopped working .... I've looked at the back of the system there was a "propeller" and this thing was quite messy so i took a water spray bottle and try ed to clean it"

Um yeah .... the system was turned on, i bet the admins reaction to the clients "cleaning" effort was priceless

On the other Hand my Mum is 69 now and I've managed to get her on Linux instead of Windows, good she needs some help here and there but all in all she got the hang of it

25 minutes ago, Artherion said:

-snip-

On the other Hand my Mum is 69 now and I've managed to get her on Linux instead of Windows, good she needs some help here and there but all in all she got the hang of it

-snip-

Nice, which Distro is she using ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Omg I wanna die, new 45-year-old dude I'm coaching has issues identifying and opening Chrome. 

I'm only a security guard and our programs are like 13-year-old friendly. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

• 3 weeks later...

So at work we were doing some maintenance, usually around this time of year when pantos are finishing up or have a few days off...

In theatre land we deal with lots of power, and use a decent amount of 3 phase. I love this stuff, it makes me feel happy in side. 

During the show run, one of our 400 amp cables got run over by a genie and decided it didn't want to work, this is a critical power line as it runs a load of dimmers, which in turn make the lights work. 

So we decided to replace a bunch of that circuit and others that looked like they needed some TLC. 

The thing about 3 phase is that crossing a phase isn't a good idea. Actually its an idea you don't want to try. 

As we're a bit short staffed, people who don't know much about wiring are roped in to lend a hand, and someone couldn't work out how to count to 5 and match some colours, and crossed phase 1 and 3 (Somehow) 

Anyway as its a 400 amp line I was testing the continuities of the phases, and realised they didn't line up as they should, marked the cable as "F**cked" over the pins and left it to one side. Lo and behold, I find this after lunch in the back of the dimmer distro, thank god the main power was still off otherwise it would have been an expensive mistake. 

Someone obs saw the tape, took it off to plug it in, but left the tape on the cable and put a ? mark on it. Like come on, don't plug it in if it says its fucked 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

Not a non-techie story. I found a special CPU from Intel!

newcpu.thumb.PNG.4e6f45ecea9ba16de78e0aa8dfcfd517.PNG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Some people I've met have the attitude of "if a reboot doesn't fix the problem, then it's broken for good".

Others will have a laptop sitting on their lap with the fans going at full blast(a couple restarts fixed that, apparently a problem with MacBooks, who knew), and complain that the laptop is "really hot". The same laptop that is sitting on their lap, at 23% overall system usage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Somebody commented on one of my auctions that end on the 7th:

Hello, can I still buy this ???

It's a f******* auction Caren ! You just have to bid !

Got my friends PC to blow out at work then take home and see if I can reuse the case and...I don't think I want to. She's been using it as a foot rest for like 10 years and there's what may be mouse shit on the top of it too. I'll get some photos of the inside of it, I think it's been at least 5 years since it's been cleaned out or maybe longer.

First time on this thread xD

It both amazes me and annoys me when people upload videos on YouTube discussing tech, start the video with their ideas/opinions/observations, but then proceed to spend the rest of the time clarifying how uninterested or under-qualified they are to engage with the tech further <-_-> ?

Like this one:

Just..........uggghhh xp

This is not necessarily Experience with non techies but Experience with Idiots in general:

•We've got languages and migration as a new Topic in German. So my teacher asked us what kind of Experiences we had with encountering people that don't speak a language we know. Me as a techie and a educated person: Well, you would obviously just use a Translater, specifically Google Translate in my case. And then a classmate goes on with telling some stupid boring story about that and explaining how he used other crap to translate and I'm just sitting there like wtf just use Google Translate like it's f*** 2020, gosh get with the time. Also my German Teacher giving us wrong numbers and I'm like: Teach, these are wrong stats and she's like: Yeah, I don't know... she was literally holding here phone in the hands, dumb ass b***** .....

Also like I told you guys last year that my school was going to delete all of the students personal data that was stored locally and not on OneDrive by the 31st of December. Yeah, about that. Pretty much half of my class lost important documents and homework that they've stored on the local Servers and not OneDrive, they were supposed to copy that over. And I even double checked on every one if they did it because in the end they would obviously blame me, *massive Facepalm*. 

Also that other girl from my class that thinks that all of the Over Ear Headsets out there are Beats, doesn't even have her personal Apple ID. She is logged into her iPhone using her Sisters and guess what, they forgot the Password to it ?. So she can't even back up her crap, if she wants to move to a new phone. Or rather in that case I recommended her to move over to Android because she clearly dosen't know what she is doing...

Other guy was charging his stupid iPhone SE with the worst and most broken a** lightning cable I ever saw. You literally saw the coper wires inside the cable it was so broken and it even zapped him when he plugged it into a scatchy Battery bank because he was holding it by the bare wires ???.

I saw another Idiot on the train on an other day, he was holding a poor Samsung Galaxy S3 where the Screen basically came off by pulling a Linus many times I assumed. Anyways, he just literally used clear tape to tape it back on. Oh poor guy...

2 hours ago, Nostril Hair said:

Someone at my school said this:

CPUs are just big memory chips with a long video of everything you will ever do with it. When it dies it means it ran out of memory. 

W H A T

Let me decipher it for you:

• CPUs are like brains
  • brains process memories
  • memories are stored via pathways of neuron cells (aka "video RAM")
  • human VRAM is capped at 2.5 PETABYTES
  • CPU (like person) will implode and die when it runs out of memory space

I hope that clears it up. 

Been reading through a lot of these and while I've gotten some good laughs, I always try to keep a level of humility when interacting with these kinds of people, as they may have expertise in something we're ignorant about.

For example my auto mechanic may not be able to build a computer and know nothing about the components.

But there's a forum out there making fun of me, the first time I was told I needed my tires rotated and I was like "...but aren't they always rotating?"

"you can't use a desktop without a mouse"

"chromebooks are absolutely useless for everything in the world"

"computers suck"

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 12/30/2019 at 1:47 PM, YaBoiWill said:

So at work we were doing some maintenance, usually around this time of year when pantos are finishing up or have a few days off...

In theatre land we deal with lots of power, and use a decent amount of 3 phase. I love this stuff, it makes me feel happy in side. 

During the show run, one of our 400 amp cables got run over by a genie and decided it didn't want to work, this is a critical power line as it runs a load of dimmers, which in turn make the lights work. 

So we decided to replace a bunch of that circuit and others that looked like they needed some TLC. 

The thing about 3 phase is that crossing a phase isn't a good idea. Actually its an idea you don't want to try. 

As we're a bit short staffed, people who don't know much about wiring are roped in to lend a hand, and someone couldn't work out how to count to 5 and match some colours, and crossed phase 1 and 3 (Somehow) 

Anyway as its a 400 amp line I was testing the continuities of the phases, and realised they didn't line up as they should, marked the cable as "F**cked" over the pins and left it to one side. Lo and behold, I find this after lunch in the back of the dimmer distro, thank god the main power was still off otherwise it would have been an expensive mistake. 

Someone obs saw the tape, took it off to plug it in, but left the tape on the cable and put a ? mark on it. Like come on, don't plug it in if it says its fucked 

ah the fun of theaters.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A user at work was having super strange mouse issues. It would freeze all mouse control after a random period of time. Same user also had a lot of other issues with their new computer but this popped up after I had solved all of those.

Turns out they had a wireless mouse plugged in and that they had been throwing the mouse onto the floor whenever they had issues... As soon as I unplugged the wireless mouse and rebooted the issue was gone.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

If it counts, some guy made a computer mouse out of a dead carbon-based mouse:

image.png.4b38bd991f67236c6992a997ff16e5f5.png

More like r/cursedimages

A user called our helpdesk at the begining of the week, he was having issues with his new laptop (it wouldn't boot).

The helpdesk tech tried as much as he could (remove the battery, hold the power button for a while, etc...) but nothing, the thing wouldn't boot.

I get an email today asking about the warranty for that laptop ... turns out the guy dropped his coffee right on the thing, but never mentioned it when he called !!!

/r/techsupportgore

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

A user called our helpdesk at the begining of the week, he was having issues with his new laptop (it wouldn't boot).

The helpdesk tech tried as much as he could (remove the battery, hold the power button for a while, etc...) but nothing, the thing wouldn't boot.

I get an email today asking about the warranty for that laptop ... turns out the guy dropped his coffee right on the thing, but never mentioned it when he called !!!

/r/techsupportgore

These Dilbert strips come to mind:

0e1eaf909fcf012f2fe600163e41dd5b

8c8a04cad4b879896ae1c3cbc3bd8a6e.gif

048b6ad06cc901301d50001dd8b71c47

People still not understanding what ANC Headphones actually do (especially some of my family members)

Was wearing my Sony WH-H900N ANC Headphones and watching a video on bed and my Mom yells at me from Downstairs thinking that I hear it. Later when I go downstairs to get something to drink she angrily asks me again the same question she was apparently yelling at me before and I'm like: Well first of all you damn well know that I always wear my Headphones at home and second you could have just come upstairs to ask me, it's not like I was in an important meeting or something also you are the one who is one WhatsApp all the time. 

Not just that it's also the same case when I stand in front of them/walk past them and they clearly see that I wear my Headphones and listen to something...