New iPad Pro and MacBook Air unveiled - LiDAR, floating display, and trackpads, OH MY!

rcmaehl

Thread in progress. I will be adding media and other content throughout the day

Sources:

Apple (iPad Pro)
Apple (Macbook Air)

CNBC (Quote Source)

Summary:
The new iPad Pro has been announced with a myriad of new features and support.

Media:
Apple_new-iPad-Pro_03182020_big.jpg.large.jpgApple_new-macbook-air-wallpaper-screen_03182020_big.jpg.large.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

1 hour ago, CNBC said:

Apple announced a new iPad Pro and MacBook Air. The product launches came through a press release instead of Apple’s typical spring in-person event as companies work to increase social distancing. Apple Stores around the world are closed until March 27, and are closed indefinitely in the U.S. They recently reopened in China. The iPad Pro will ship in two sizes,...an 11-inch model and a 12.9-inch model, beginning next week. The 11-inch iPad Pro will start at $799 while the 12.9-inch model will start at $999. The new iPads feature a lidar scanner that can be used to measure the distance to objects. Apple says this will allow for “a whole new class” of augmented reality experiences on the iPad. There are additional cameras, too, including a wide-angle lens that captures in 4K and an ultra wide angle lens with zoom. Apple’s new Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro will be available in May for $299 for the 11-inch model and $349 for the 12.9-inch model. It includes a trackpad for the first time.

1 hour ago, CNBC said:

Apple’s new MacBook Air has a redesigned Magic Keyboard using the same style keyboard design that was introduced in the 16-inch MacBook Pro. It finally fixes lots of the issues people experienced with the keyboard. It starts at $999 and is available to order beginning Wednesday. Apple is doubling the storage from 128GB to 256GB on the entry-level models. Other features include improved microphones. It also includes support for up to a 6K external display with new Thunderbolt 3 ports, new stereo speakers and support for up to 2TB of storage. It uses a Touch ID fingerprint pad, just like the other MacBook Air products.

My Thoughts:

LiDAR is pretty neat and same with the floating display hinge. I really doubt the keyboard is finally fixed. They've said it has been several times and it never was. Regardless, I have to admit the new apple devices look really nice.

Edited by rcmaehl
Restored second quote. Thanks @VegetableStu

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

We need to see the internal of the MBA, if Apple finally ditch that stupid thermal design from older gen MBA then it will sparks my interest

Also that new keyboard looks dope, but for $300, err...

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh right oof, they better have fixed that critical failure in design

I'm sure we'll know within the next few days

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

>quad core i7

pass

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

36 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

We need to see the internal of the MBA, if Apple finally ditch that stupid thermal design from older gen MBA then it will sparks my interest

Also the CPU lineup is pathetic, maxing out at a quad core ULP i7 (presumably the starter model still has a dual core).

If anyone is considering this I strongly encourage you to check out ASUS' UX line.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

26 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

$999 for a dual core,lmao.

That's the main failing.  The quad-core chips are appreciated, but they really should be standard on the base model.  At least you can custom-order with quad-core if you don't want to pay for 512GB of storage at the same time.

QUICK. ANYONE STILL IN THE THREAD. DON'T REFRESH. I NEED A COPY OF MY SECOND QUOTE. IT GOT DELETED

Thanks @VegetableStu 

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Also the CPU lineup is pathetic, maxing out at a quad core ULP i7 (presumably the starter model still has a dual core).

If anyone is considering this I strongly encourage you to check out ASUS' UX line.

The i3 model is a joke, but quad-core i5 I think makes sense, no point putting a six-core in that thin chassis just to get throttle to hell

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

4 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I really doubt the keyboard is finally fixed. They've said it has been several times and it never was.

The Magic Keyboard is the same scissor switch design as the keyboards used on the 2015 MBP, just with reduced travel. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

That's the main failing. 

Is it though? For the majority of MBA owners the heaviest workload they are going to be doing is a animated power point. Don’t need more than 2C/4T for that. What really matters is the GPU improvements which accelerate everything in macOS and makes up for CPU deficiencies. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

*falls out of chair*
*starts running around and flailing arms like an idiot*
THEY UPGRADED THE MACBOOK AIR PROCESSOR!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

There is nothing worth noting with the new tablet besides the camera upgrade. THE KEYBOARD is where it is at that 300$ keyboard btw they also have new smart keyboards as well but those suck.

The new KEYBOARD has "USB-C "charging pass through with support for external drives/cameras etc etc It is also a "Floating HINGE"<--- That is quite a big deal. The trackpad seems lame? Looks super small.  

well i might have lost complete interest on the Mac, but the iPad is the only device left from Apple that intrigues me. This might be the one I might end up picking, if I don't splurge all my fun money on a new phone this year.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is it though? For the majority of MBA owners the heaviest workload they are going to be doing is a animated power point. Don’t need more than 2C/4T for that. What really matters is the GPU improvements which accelerate everything in macOS and makes up for CPU deficiencies. 

I'd maintain that it is.  It's not so much specific tasks as that the earlier Air wheezed a bit in general, that it felt like a step back in some areas compared to the last non-Retina Air's processing power.  And the faster GPU will only do so much, especially if you're juggling more than one app at a time.

Thankfully, the price cut also means you don't have to pay a significant premium over the old model to get that leap in performance... but if it had been available in the $999 model, I'd have been happier.

1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

*falls out of chair*
*starts running around and flailing arms like an idiot*
THEY UPGRADED THE MACBOOK AIR PROCESSOR!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

It did take intel a long time to release a new cpu in that thermal bracket yes.

The new iPad Pro isn’t that different from the one the one released in 2018. Most iPad Pro users don't buy it for the camera.

Since the new iPad Pro uses Apple Pencil (2nd gen) I think the 2018 model will be compatible with the new magic keyboard too. There’s no way Apple’s trackpad isn’t better than sufficient. That’s one thing they are great at making.

There’s a lot of criticism of the MacBook Air refresh here and elsewhere but they are missing the point. Majority of the people don’t need or want the latest maxed out hardware. What they need is a very reliable system that runs smoothly even 5 years later without much maintenance. My sister still uses her old MacBook Air from 5 years ago, it gets software updates, battery hold charge, and most apps run smoothly. That’s a very different experience from every other laptop I’ve owned. My Surface Book has issues recognizing audio outputs constantly. It thermal throttles frequently... My Lenovo holds a shameful 3 hours of charge after only 18 months of use.

So yea the MacBook Air refresh isn’t gonna run Doom or Crisis but it will work great for non-gamers and designers for years. And Apple will keep making a killing off of it.

The MacBook finally getting to a reasonable price point is much appreciated, especially since they've made the base spec more bearable. Granted, the Dual Core is a turn off, but at least they've finally ditched the 128 GB base storage. And, in fairness, 50€ extra nets you a Quad Core i5, so I think this might just be the most sensible MacBook in a while.

Couldn't really care less about the iPad to be honest. It won't ever really be able to replace a computer, and at that price it's just straight up unreasonable. For standard tablet duty, the cheaper models are just fine.

So after laughing at Microsoft, Apple admit that Microsoft was right with the new iPad cover.

Well, well, well, maybe next time, don't laugh at others before seeing... something that Microsoft learned in the past.

Now time to update the 13” MBP, Apple! It’s the only one without the new Magic Keyboard :/

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

3 hours ago, Soppro said:

Now time to update the 13” MBP, Apple! It’s the only one without the new Magic Keyboard :/

Maybe make it a 14” in the same 13” frame too?! Upgrade the damn webcam! And get micro-LED display.

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

Maybe make it a 14” in the same 13” frame too?! Upgrade the damn webcam! And get micro-LED display.

Damb that would be a nice laptop

On 3/19/2020 at 6:48 AM, GoodBytes said:

So after laughing at Microsoft, Apple admit that Microsoft was right with the new iPad cover.

Well, well, well, maybe next time, don't laugh at others before seeing... something that Microsoft learned in the past.

Did they say anything against mouse support on the iPad? They've always been agains macOS in iPad and how the user interface would just not suite well at all for iPad like device, which is the case with Windows on Surface (and not mentioning the slew of issues Surface devices usally have during their lifetimes)

12 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Did they say anything against mouse support on the iPad? They've always been agains macOS in iPad and how the user interface would just not suite well at all for iPad like device, which is the case with Windows on Surface (and not mentioning the slew of issues Surface devices usally have during their lifetimes)

I don't think Apple has said much of anything against mice on iPads, it just wasn't a priority for a touch device.  Its main beefs against touch on Macs was both optimization and the ergonomics (it doesn't think you should have to constantly lift your arm when you're at a desk).

The iPad Pro sits in this odd limbo zone because, with the Magic Keyboard, it's effectively a touchscreen Apple laptop.