China turns on your game timer for those under 18

suits
Message added by Spotty

Stay on topic regarding the curfew on gaming. Just because it has "China" in the title does not mean it's an opportunity to rant about unrelated political issues.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.
40 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Physical discipline doesn't really work. Thats already been proven in dogs.

I haven't seen anyone get blasted for raising their voice to a child.

Here's the thing, it does work if the situation requires it (have spoken to professionals about it, I don't care if no one believes me as it's not the popular opinion and vastly not understood). 

Also when you work in social welfare long enough you get to see all sorts of stupid shit being passed of as "professional" advice for raising children.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

You're not wrong in that a child is directly effected deeply by all of their surroundings, the parents being at the forefront. There are many ways of disciplining/rewarding your children that doesn't involve physical abuse, which isn't an effective means anyway. There's absolutely nothing wrong with raising your voice, it's a healthy way to express yourself. There's nothing wrong with taking something away as long as it's not a necessity. You have a right to raise your child as you see fit, not everyone will agree with your practices but they're entitled to their opinions as long as they're not forcing it on others (which some do, sadly). 

Unfortunately as I have worked with early school children for some time now I have seen that side more often than I wish to.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

VPN's are probably blocked by China. Keep in mind China is very controlling over their internet services. They block content all the time and if VPN's are not blocked now, its only a mtter of time.

You won't get arrested for using a VPN, you might however get penalized for hosting unlicensed VPN servers.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

The population of China is 1.3 billion, how the Chinese government catch people who didn't follow the rule? 

They selling engineering sample CPU, false hardware on online store, and pirate download.

So I don't think Chinese people will be upset about this.

some VPNs have been blocked newer ones come online but China is constantly trying to drown VPNs.

2 hours ago, Age of 9394 said:

The population of China is 1.3 billion, how the Chinese government catch people who didn't follow the rule? 

They selling engineering sample CPU, false hardware on online store, and pirate download.

So I don't think Chinese people will be upset about this.

you act like china hasn't long ago figured out how to be totalitarian to every single last one of their citizens

Haha, less gametime in week than many do daily. LULW

Great place. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Reminds me of that Simon Pegg movie, The World's End, Aliens try and curb humanities self destructive patterns by replacing them with robotic clones.

No Spoilers but it basically ends with them telling the Aliens to fuck off.

Same can be said for this, if people want to spend 20 hours a day in an internet cafe and explode like the glorious supernova they are then let them.

Too much bubble wrap is a bad thing, it makes the species weaker.

Governments should let people fuck their own lives up, it's their choice to be fucked up!

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

The UK is far from China.

No shit Sherlock.

I was referring to it being similar in the fact that stuff is done without the citizens consent, I'm positive that you have commented in a few of the threads about imposing IP blocks, imposing an adult material block etc etc.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

In China, privacy is not a issue that is raised like never, so I am not surprised this regulation. However, a lot of laws/regulation in China is not enforced simply because there is no profit to be made by the government.

the first reaction i have is what is stopping the family from using the parents' id to register the account? they probly wont but, you kid can always just remeber their parent ID number easily, i know my parent's id number since junior high school. and the second, since there is not huge profit to be made and kinda hurting the gaming industry (keep in mind a lot of the game company is Chinese owned), i dont see this to be enforced. This regulation is probly just for show.

12 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Reminds me of that Simon Pegg movie, The World's End, Aliens try and curb humanities self destructive patterns by replacing them with robotic clones.

No Spoilers but it basically ends with them telling the Aliens to fuck off.

Same can be said for this, if people want to spend 20 hours a day in an internet cafe and explode like the glorious supernova they are then let them.

Too much bubble wrap is a bad thing, it makes the species weaker.

Governments should let people fuck their own lives up, it's their choice to be fucked up!

But there are patterns that ppl lacking social life has better chance become insane and go out hurting other ppl (just from my ass, not necessarily true). Then what do you do? you just arrest those who did when you know spending 20 hr/day on the internet is the cause? there will be public pressure on more regulations. Gun control is a good example. a lot of country do it because it's a known issue,

On 11/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, Orangeator said:

That comes down to personal responsibility and piss poor parenting... This is not the governments role to step in. Total over reach.

Sad to say but the level of education in China is far inferior to more developed country. I know you and a lot of users on this forum won’t get the reasoning and the ideology of the Chinese populous backing this law, but that’s what is needed over there.

As for your overreach opinion, I personally agree with you since I had the liberty of enjoying the freedom of doing whatever I wish in the west. However, it’s a different world they live over there.

21 hours ago, mr moose said:

Never ceases to amaze how people just blame parents.  Clearly that's the easy answer and doesn't require people to get invested in the problem.  Don;t like whats happening in society, must be the parents, don't like whats happening in schools, must be the parents.  Parents aren't allowed to parent anymore,  no one realizes this, but physical discipline is not allowed, raising your voice is not allowed,  taking things away is not allowed.  We have entered a world of precious snowflakes and all forms of parenting is now singled out as abuse of one description or another.  And the biggest issue here is all the finger pointing is done by squirts who are neither parents nor have formal education on the topic. 

How about if you are not a parent you don't post your opinions like they are undeniable facts.

I think the law is pretty fair. More than 90 minutes on a weekday and 3 hours on a weekend, surely thats plenty? I think the law must be targeting extreme cases regardless. 

Hmmmm, have they been taking notes from me? 

What blasphemy 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Devin92 said:

But there are patterns that ppl lacking social life has better chance become insane and go out hurting other ppl (just from my ass, not necessarily true). Then what do you do? you just arrest those who did when you know spending 20 hr/day on the internet is the cause? there will be public pressure on more regulations. Gun control is a good example. a lot of country do it because it's a known issue,

Are you joking? Why would you think that the people are the people going our and shooting people? I don't believe I have seen any evidence supporting this. I will say this there is plenty of evidence of people going ape shit when they are addicted to games and suddenly have them taken away. I would wager a law like this would be more likely to incite violence than decrease it. 

2 hours ago, floofer said:

I think the law is pretty fair. More than 90 minutes on a weekday and 3 hours on a weekend, surely thats plenty? I think the law must be targeting extreme cases regardless. 

Probably, I just get tired of everything even remotely related to this turning into an episode of blame it on the parents.  People really need to think harder about society, games and the internet, the need for better education and most importantly the effects of being low SES.  

On 11/7/2019 at 6:55 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

LAUGHS IN AMERICA

spacer.png

Never underestimate the Western soccer moms young padawan.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

13 hours ago, Tegos said:

Wait, how's that work?

You'll get in less trouble if they're dead. Plus you won't have to pay for medical bills, lost wages, etc etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 11/8/2019 at 1:46 AM, Donut417 said:

VPN's are probably blocked by China. Keep in mind China is very controlling over their internet services. They block content all the time and if VPN's are not blocked now, its only a mtter of time.

Matter of fact.  It is but not everywhere.  So called tier 1 cities usually don't have these restrictions. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

What?! But I love playing "I Love You, Colonel Sanders" for hours a day! xD

people live in computer cafes, like literally live every day in there, i guess its cheaper, maybe more space then a room full of 100 ppl in a 10'x10' room in their own prison cells that they pay rent on. its not like north america where ppl can just camp out in some park

gaming addiction is a very serious matter

i have even heard of ppl dying on the chair in front of a pc

i heard its happened often

I cant imagine living in a crowded city and not having gaming as a main leisure activity. It's not like where I live where I can go fishing everyday and play what ever sports I want.

I don't even know how I can talk about any of this without getting political. This is just such a sensitive topic that is inherently political. So are we allowed to be political in this thread as long as it has to do with the curfew? I ask because this is actually a broader political topic than it might appear on the surface.

I guess I'll just say this law is just messed up.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:33 PM, Caroline said:

That's ok, there's nothing but toxic players in online games.

I've met some great people. People that I look forward to partying up with when I hop online.

Toxic is subjective anyway. Sure, the guy/girl calling everyone names over dumb issues is definitely toxic. The people who just rant and rage over getting killed in a way they didn't like and then start with all the racist slurs or things along those lines are definitely what I would call toxic. 

But people are so sensitive now that people get labeled toxic over the stupidest things. I see it all the time in GTA V. I've been called a toxic player simply for killing another player during a competitive free mode event like a business battle where the goal is to fight over the cargo.

9 hours ago, floofer said:

Fair? There is nothing fair about a law which restricts what you can do in your free time on a computer when you aren't hurting anyone.

I mean, I've spent the entire weekend planted on the couch working through a game that has me hooked, both as a kid and an adult. Am I an extreme case? Sometimes people just want to be a hermit for a couple days and get lost in virtual fiction. It's a personal choice and the government shouldn't be interfering, especially when the government can't even manage itself.

5 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I don't even know how I can talk about any of this without getting political. This is just such a sensitive topic that is inherently political. So are we allowed to be political in this thread as long as it has to do with the curfew? I ask because this is actually a broader political topic than it might appear on the surface.

I guess I'll just say this law is just messed up.

I've met some great people. People that I look forward to partying up with when I hop online.

Toxic is subjective anyway. Sure, the guy/girl calling everyone names over dumb issues is definitely toxic. The people who just rant and rage over getting killed in a way they didn't like and then start with all the racist slurs or things along those lines are definitely what I would call toxic. 

But people are so sensitive now that people get labeled toxic over the stupidest things. I see it all the time in GTA V. I've been called a toxic player simply for killing another player during a competitive free mode event like a business battle where the goal is to fight over the cargo.

Fair? There is nothing fair about a law which restricts what you can do in your free time on a computer when you aren't hurting anyone.

I mean, I've spent the entire weekend planted on the couch working through a game that has me hooked, both as a kid and an adult. Am I an extreme case? Sometimes people just want to be a hermit for a couple days and get lost in virtual fiction. It's a personal choice and the government shouldn't be interfering, especially when the government can't even manage itself.

No, not fair.  But reasonable. 

You can disagree, but imo it's very obvious playing video games for hours on no end isn't healthy,  especially for children.  It's also often a cop out for parents to do any actual,  well parenting. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

43 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I've only met venomous trolls and morons. Online games are only for guys.

Nah, don't think like that. I think most guys have no problem with girls playing and actually welcome their company.

I know there are a lot of YouTube videos out there where a girl is just being pestered non-stop and the dude is making sex jokes all the time but I really don't think that is an accurate representation of what it is like for girls. Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of dicks out there and some will give you a hard time but you just need to find the right people.

To be honest, I've never once personally seen a girl being harassed while playing. They seem to play and chat just like the guys, as in having fun with the game, talking about it, and making chitchat. I think it also depends on the game you play. Some games are known for their toxic communities to begin with so maybe avoid those as a general rule if you don't want to have to deal with such people.

Anyway, gaming is not just for men, nor is online gaming. The more girls playing and actually being on the mic the better. It should be just as normal to hear a girl on the mic as a guy. It will help normalize it.