China turns on your game timer for those under 18

suits
Message added by Spotty

Stay on topic regarding the curfew on gaming. Just because it has "China" in the title does not mean it's an opportunity to rant about unrelated political issues.

• No trolling or flame-bait.
    • This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.

No playing video games after 10 p.m. No more than 90 minutes of gaming on weekdays. Want add-ons like virtual weapons and costumes? Keep it to $57 a month.

The Chinese government has released new rules aimed at curbing video game addiction among young people, a problem that top officials believe is to blame for a rise in nearsightedness and poor academic performance across a broad swath of society.

The regulations, announced by the National Press and Publication Administration on Tuesday, ban users younger than 18 from playing games between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. They are not permitted to play more than 90 minutes on weekdays and three hours on weekends and holidays.

The limits are the government’s latest attempt to rein in China’s online gaming industry, one of the world’s largest, which generates more than $33 billion in annual revenue and draws hundreds of millions of users.

Going to be interesting to see what this does to the political climate in China. Any government setting restrictions on you during your free time and how you spend your money is never going to be a popular thing.

There is something to say for video game addiction. Maybe it'll work?

Source 1

The enforcement of this ban is going to be through some sort of online system. 

Chinese officials will also require everyone to register accounts for online games using their real name and phone number, which will help government entities to regulate playing time

a government statement said. "We are also going to gradually perfect and enrich the functions of the identification system, to achieve gaming time data sharing across platforms, so we could know and therefore restrict the total time every minor spends on gaming across platforms."

It is unknown how they will enforce the ban for offline games, and I couldn't find the consequences of breaking the rules. 

It is not clear how offline single-player games factor into the new guidelines.

Source 2

I remember how multiple kids have died after spending too much time on games. 

1125194322_15729953508791n.jpg

Interestingly the source news mentions that this is only limited to online games, and not much on single or hard copy games (e.g. steam or GoG). No mention of when this law will be put into effect either. 关于防止未成年人沉迷网络游戏的通知 translates to "regarding the prevention of underage persons addicted to online video games notice" so implementing this will take a lot longer than some will expect (I know that global times mentioned that some lawmakers have been thinking of this rules since 2007, where there is instead game rewards are reduced overtime to curb addiction)

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Some might say this is too extreme but there are strong cases in China pushing the government to pass this law. People dying in Internet cafes being the strongest one

I like this, chinese players will not be as skilled, now. Kidding aside, I wonder if this will work, since VPNs are a thing and it will not work for offline games. It should be the parents' job, anyway, to limit the amount of hours their kid spends playing games. But even then, just simply taking their gaming away, might not fix the issue. Speaking from experience, as a kid, I was uninterested in school. I had a laptop that I was using a lot of the time and, when I got bad results, which was not a surprise, my mom would take the laptop. I still wouldn't study. It's a matter of interest as well. Fortunately, I grew up, realised education was crucial, studied and landed a good job in IT.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

9 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Some might say this is too extreme but there are strong cases in China pushing the government to pass this law. People dying in Internet cafes being the strongest one

That comes down to personal responsibility and piss poor parenting... This is not the governments role to step in. Total over reach.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

This is not the governments role to step in. Total over reach.

Don't confuse your freedoms with China's "freedoms".  The Chinese government already controls the net.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I kinda liked what they did in Ready Player One where they banned the gaming on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Perfect example of the extreme/hardcore people ruining it for everyone.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Not everyone has friends and family some of us are

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor forever alone

Weeping Scrotums?  ?

J/K

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Perfect example of the extreme/hardcore people ruining it for everyone.

Its a perfect example of a few people who failed their jobs as parents and now everyone else suffers. Even as powerful as the Chinese government is, they still shouldn't have stepped in. It's unnecessary.

6 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Its a perfect example of a few people who failed their jobs as parents and now everyone else suffers. Even as powerful as the Chinese government is, they still shouldn't have stepped in. It's unnecessary.

While this is true, stuff like this (strict rules for everybody because of a few idiots) is not always the fault of the parents. Sometimes people that have been fine for decades can always end up taking a wrong path in life, doing stuff they shouldn't do and taking things too far and ruining something for everybody.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I think this is overstepping. If the people in question are diagnosed to have an addiction/mental illness, then those people should be helped, including the "punishment" if it's needed... but not at the expense of everyone else. Living in a nanny state myself, I understand the negative effect the overstepping and restricting people that can make their own decisions (adults), has on them.

In this case it is about minors, that the government shouldn't need to enforce strict exclusions on IMO. The parents themselves should be able to limit their children's activities... or at the very least have some kind of "opt-in" that the parents can sign up for instead of limiting all children with some kind of block that probably won't do the job anyway. There are always ways for parents to limit their children when it comes to electricals really IMO. If the children don't go by your rules, you take away their use of whatever it is, even if you have to restrict your own activities.. if it will help the children, don't you?

Child won't curb their use of video games, escalate the punishment:-

1. Ground them from something else they like... take away any money you normally give them.
  2. Take away their devices if they still don't stop.
  3. turn off the wifi.
  4. unplug the router and hide it/lock it up.

There MUST be some way of punishing the child that they would have to take notice of... including the destruction of property if you must... as long as it's technically YOUR property that YOU bought. If it's the childs property, then restrict wifi as above. There must be something that YOU pay for that can be limited/removed from the children's use if you are a parent.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

31 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

have been fine for decades

This is true, in other cases. In this case, it's only applicable to those who are under the age of 18... Aka, parents are at fault.

14 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I think this is overstepping. If the people in question are diagnosed to have an addiction/mental illness, then those people should be helped, including the "punishment" if it's needed... but not at the expense of everyone else. Living in a nanny state myself, I understand the negative effect the overstepping and restricting people that can make their own decisions (adults), has on them.

In this case it is about minors, that the government shouldn't need to enforce strict exclusions on IMO. The parents themselves should be able to limit their children's activities... or at the very least have some kind of "opt-in" that the parents can sign up for instead of limiting all children with some kind of block that probably won't do the job anyway. There are always ways for parents to limit their children when it comes to electricals really IMO. If the children don't go by your rules, you take away their use of whatever it is, even if you have to restrict your own activities.. if it will help the children, don't you?

Child won't curb their use of video games, escalate the punishment:-

1. Ground them from something else they like... take away any money you normally give them.
  2. Take away their devices if they still don't stop.
  3. turn off the wifi.
  4. unplug the router and hide it/lock it up.

There MUST be some way of punishing the child that they would have to take notice of... including the destruction of property if you must... as long as it's technically YOUR property that YOU bought. If it's the childs property, then restrict wifi as above. There must be something that YOU pay for that can be limited/removed from the children's use if you are a parent.

I know some places have training camps that are designed to get your kids to stop being addicted to video games and instead do more mundane activities such as sports and books.

Here's a Korean one for example:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, HarryNyquist said:

Some parents just shouldn't be parents.

Also, this is China we're talking about. The government stepping in and ruining everything for everyone is kind of how they've operated for years.

Yep, same here in the UK.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

how nice to have the government infiltrate every facet of people's life.

We need more of this and to push it further. For the greater good.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

In other news, big game companies have decided there is still a huge market for off-line, single player games

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Never ceases to amaze how people just blame parents.  Clearly that's the easy answer and doesn't require people to get invested in the problem.  Don;t like whats happening in society, must be the parents, don't like whats happening in schools, must be the parents.  Parents aren't allowed to parent anymore,  no one realizes this, but physical discipline is not allowed, raising your voice is not allowed,  taking things away is not allowed.  We have entered a world of precious snowflakes and all forms of parenting is now singled out as abuse of one description or another.  And the biggest issue here is all the finger pointing is done by squirts who are neither parents nor have formal education on the topic. 

How about if you are not a parent you don't post your opinions like they are undeniable facts.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, bruny06 said:

I like this, chinese players will not be as skilled, now. Kidding aside, I wonder if this will work, since VPNs are a thing an

VPN's are probably blocked by China. Keep in mind China is very controlling over their internet services. They block content all the time and if VPN's are not blocked now, its only a mtter of time.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Haha, what? I don't think you have any grasp of how politics work in China at all. This will have no effect at all. In China, it's do as you're told, ok boss.

I'm glad I'm aging now, and won't be around for China's rise to power in the future.

10 hours ago, Tegos said:

Slightly unrelated but I remember this case from a good few years ago where a man in China killed his friend because he borrowed a rare weapon from him in an MMO and then sold it.

In a country where it's better to kill someone you might accidentally hit with your car than offer aid, this doesn't surprise me at all.

8 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yep, same here in the UK.

The UK is far from China.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Never ceases to amaze how people just blame parents.  Clearly that's the easy answer and doesn't require people to get invested in the problem.  Don;t like whats happening in society, must be the parents, don't like whats happening in schools, must be the parents.  Parents aren't allowed to parent anymore,  no one realizes this, but physical discipline is not allowed, raising your voice is not allowed,  taking things away is not allowed.  We have entered a world of precious snowflakes and all forms of parenting is now singled out as abuse of one description or another.  And the biggest issue here is all the finger pointing is done by squirts who are neither parents nor have formal education on the topic. 

How about if you are not a parent you don't post your opinions like they are undeniable facts.

Physical discipline doesn't really work. Thats already been proven in dogs.

I haven't seen anyone get blasted for raising their voice to a child.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 hours ago, Tegos said:

Slightly unrelated but I remember this case from a good few years ago where a man in China killed his friend because he borrowed a rare weapon from him in an MMO and then sold it.

So... He stole it then...

8 hours ago, Orangeator said:

This is true, in other cases. In this case, it's only applicable to those who are under the age of 18... Aka, parents are at fault.

Not always true as a legitimate addiction has nothing to do with parenting. If the child wants to do something they'll do their best to make it happen. Parenting is a critical factor but it's far from the only one that leads to potential issues.  

8 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

Some parents just shouldn't be parents.

Also, this is China we're talking about. The government stepping in and ruining everything for everyone is kind of how they've operated for years.

Both fair points?

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Never ceases to amaze how people just blame parents.  Clearly that's the easy answer and doesn't require people to get invested in the problem.  Don;t like whats happening in society, must be the parents, don't like whats happening in schools, must be the parents.  Parents aren't allowed to parent anymore,  no one realizes this, but physical discipline is not allowed, raising your voice is not allowedtaking things away is not allowed.  We have entered a world of precious snowflakes and all forms of parenting is now singled out as abuse of one description or another.  And the biggest issue here is all the finger pointing is done by squirts who are neither parents nor have formal education on the topic. 

You're not wrong in that a child is directly effected deeply by all of their surroundings, the parents being at the forefront. There are many ways of disciplining/rewarding your children that doesn't involve physical abuse, which isn't an effective means anyway. There's absolutely nothing wrong with raising your voice, it's a healthy way to express yourself. There's nothing wrong with taking something away as long as it's not a necessity. You have a right to raise your child as you see fit, not everyone will agree with your practices but they're entitled to their opinions as long as they're not forcing it on others (which some do, sadly).