Pre-Order Vavle Index Tomorrow + More Info

The Benjamins

Valve Index Set Full Kit Controllers Base Stations Headset

Valve today announced preorders and revealed the specs for its Index PC VR system. Index is not made in partnership with HTC, the company Valve first partneted with on the first SteamVR headset (Vive). It’s a first party product from Valve Corporation.

Index is a PC VR headset powered by the SteamVR platform. It should be compatible with all existing SteamVR games. However older titles may not be optimized for the Index Controllers as they were built with HTC controllers in mind.

Preorders are available tomorrow, and the product will ship some time in June. No games are listed as being included.

1440x1600 @ 120hz Per eye

130 FOV

$999 For the whole package (Headset, Controllers, Light Boxes)

valve index pricing

valve index pricing

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/354231/

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-price-specs/

The Price for me is too high for me to get into VR, I am looking for s sub $500 solution. I am looking at the Rift S or the Vive Cosmos.

UPDATE:

10 hours ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

Source- https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

image.png.a088addf7821e8dbb34f95c2ca897a55.png

Steam has a landing page up for their new VR headset and controller package, dubbed the "Valve Index". Pre-orders go live on May 1st, 2019 (tomorrow)

FEATURES

The headset features (price $499)-

• Dual Front cameras with pass-through (Valve says computer vision possibilities)
  • 1440x1600 RGB LCD (not OLED) screens 
  • 120Hz refresh rates, with an experimental 144Hz mode
  • low persistence with reduced illumination period of 0.330ms to 0.530ms 
  • 20° more FOV than the HTC Vive
  • Canted optics- The headset’s displays cant outward by 5 degrees- improving the outer FOV.
  • Built in no-ear-contact headset
  • Quick-swap antimicrobian face pads

The controller features-

• 87 sensors to track hand position, finger position, motion, and pressure
  • Squeeze-ability- The controller body is a grip input, with built-in force sensors
  • Trackpad- The oval button on the face has force and capacitive sensors
  • 7+ hour battery life (batteries don't appear user replaceable)
  • Note- listed compatibility only for Vive, Vive Pro, and Valve Index headset

The base station features-

• Laser tracking at 100hz
  • 7m range at 160º x 115º FOV
  • Note- listed compatibility only for Vive Pro and Valve Index, NOT base Vive/Rift.

PRICING

There are 5 brackets/packages-

• $999- Entire Package (2x base station, controller, headset)
  • $749- Headset + controller (backwards compatible with Vive/Vive Pro base stations)
  • $499- Headset
  • $279- Controller
  • $149- Base Station

My take-This is competitive with the Vive Pro- but doesn't seem to "stand out" in a meaningful way. At over the twice the price of gen-1 VR headsets (Vive, Rift), and about $200 more expensive than the Vive Pro- I'm concerned about how well it will perform; this device is probably best intended for people already with VR headsets and disposable income to upgrade to try something with higher specs. It's also unknown if the controllers will work with the Rift at the moment. They're only listed as having support for the Vive and Index at the moment. Also, given the higher resolution + higher refresh rate- I'll be surprised if the minimum of a 970 will be able to drive this. I'll update this with more articles and content as I find it- I remember reading that Oculus said there's a reason why they're not going to "gen 2", and I think that'd be an interesting read to go along with this story.

Here's the article (RoadToVR)- on why Oculus says there isn't a Rift 2 or Pro yet- TL;DR is every VR user wants something different- higher resolution screens, full body tracking, wireless, etc.- these add costs, complicate things, or aren't cross-compatible (higher resolution + wireless); and when everything's included- the device will cost ~$3k. Oculus' goal is to bring as many people into VR with the Rift S as opposed to a Rift 2 that would make some people happy, but fragment development and consumers. They will launch a Rift 2 when they can bring costs down and when enough people have adopted VR and there are enough people ready to move onto a Gen 2.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

$999 For the whole package (Headset, Controllers, Light Boxes)

That costs more than my PC :(

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

It's going to be interesting to compare this to a Vive.

Specs seem better, but i'm wondering it's worth the big premium price (Vive is where i live 600 euros, this one on pre-order is 1079).

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

uuuuu :D this looks amazing. Let's see some reviews...and I might finally get one. Expensive, yes...but this would be the highest end VR headset out there. (refresh wise at least ... and I think that is truly important.)

almost all pc games for the last 10 years have been on steam, they are literally printing cash and now they shit out this expensive product.... disappointed.

279$ for 2 controllers, i am sure there is some very revolutionary and expensive hardware and software inside.

12 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It's going to be interesting to compare this to a Vive.

Specs seem better, but i'm wondering it's worth the big premium price (Vive is where i live 600 euros, this one on pre-order is 1079).

This is not just better than the Vive, it's also better than the Vive Pro.

It looks like a fantastic VR solution... for those who can afford it.

This should kind of help explain why the Rift S had various tradeoffs that didn't impress people. Cutting-edge VR is expensive.

8 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

uuuuu :D this looks amazing. Let's see some reviews...and I might finally get one. Expensive, yes...but this would be the highest end VR headset out there. (refresh wise at least ... and I think that is truly important.)

The refresh rate bump is not that important. The controllers are a much bigger deal.

Now, if only there were enough good games to make buying one worth it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Now, if only there were enough good games to make buying one worth it.

There are a lot of good games. Valve has also said they were working on some, so they may have one or two big first-party launch titles.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

There are a lot of good games.

There are some good games if we include tech demos. Not many, and certainly not enough for most people to jump into VR.

It's mostly shovelware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

almost all pc games for the last 10 years have been on steam, they are literally printing cash and now they shit out this expensive product.... disappointed.

279$ for 2 controllers, i am sure there is some very revolutionary and expensive hardware and software inside.

The controller handle senses how far away your fingers are from the handle so the game can have full 5 finger tracking, so its not that crazy of a price knowing they are the only ones with that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

34 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

That costs more than my PC :(

That costs more than my PC and my VR headset with controllers

That's an F in the profile pic

My Vive's controllers are primarily why I don't play VR games a whole lot as it is, if those controllers are compatible with existing HTC Vive units, I'd love to snag them at some point.

The headset sounds nice but is just way too expensive to want to upgrade tbh, that kind of makes this a weird product. It's not cheap enough to suddenly want to get into, and it's too expensive and not enough improved to upgrade from older units... huh. Those controllers tho, still look nice.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

There are some good games if we include tech demos. Not many, and certainly not enough for most people to jump into VR.

It's mostly shovelware. 

There are a lot of good games, excluding tech demos.

Just now, Sakkura said:

There are a lot of good games, excluding tech demos.

No, there aren't. VR games are largely crap. What few good games there are, are typically short and basic.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, there aren't. VR games are largely crap. What few good games there are, are typically short and basic.

VR works best for arcade style games that you play on short bursts. If you go in looking for a traditional AAA style experience, you're looking in the wrong place. I have >200 hours in my Oculus, the vast majority if which was in 30-60 minute sessions. 

That said, I have had a couple of 4+ hour marathons, but that only really works when you have an engaging multilayer game. Anything that's story focused is inherently badly suited for VR

2 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

VR works best for arcade style games that you play on short bursts

And even then, the selection good, or even acceptable games is pretty bad.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

No major non-holiday TF2 updates for almost 600 days. Artifact has literally no players.

But ah, we should develop a VR headset! Good thinking, Valve. This totally won't turn out like the Steam Machines... and the Steam Controller... and the Steam Link.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I do agree with Valve's focus on comfort, current headsets are only comfortable if you're what they consider normal, and even then it can be questionable for long periods.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

r/WaitForBenchmarks

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

No major non-holiday TF2 updates for almost 600 days

Not to mention, VR support was removed from tf2 at some point (perhaps inadvertently by a patch)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Interested in the $749 package. Must try to get one from work when they come out ._.

Just now, fasauceome said:

Not to mention, VR support was removed from tf2 at some point (perhaps inadvertently by a patch)

I wasn't really around back when Valve made a big deal about VR in TF2 but I think the option itself was simply removed from menus and not necessarily removed outright. I wanna say that, at the very least, the viewmodel option for what VR would use remains.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I wasn't really around back when Valve made a big deal about VR in TF2 but I think the option itself was simply removed from menus and not necessarily removed outright. I wanna say that, at the very least, the viewmodel option for what VR would use remains.

Actually it's the contrary, if you enable VR in the launch options, the menu is still there to switch to VR mode but it does nothing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

They said they were going to make the ideal premium vr solution first, then make it cheaper; I guess that’s what they did.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.