Pre-Order Vavle Index Tomorrow + More Info

The Benjamins
9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And your explanation was crap.

With VR, the listed recommended specs should be considered the absolute minimum.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not really. The current """minimum""" is not cutting it, it's time to bump the recommended into the minimum.

As of right now, they're pulling the same stunt OEMs pulled when Vista launched.

You don't know what you're talking about. I've tried it, and it's fine. Yeah I'd rather be at the recommended specs or higher, but the minimums provide a playable experience.

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

And yet it really isn't. 

Nearly cutting the required performance in half makes a difference. It's like turning a GTX 960 into a GTX 970, and a GTX 970 into a GTX 1070.

7 hours ago, Sakkura said:

You don't know what you're talking about

Pound salt. It might have been fine early on in basic tech demos, but that time is long fucking gone.

7 hours ago, Sakkura said:

I've tried it, and it's fine. Yeah I'd rather be at the recommended specs or higher, but the minimums provide a playable experience.

No, it’s not. It’s a broken shitshow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Pound salt. It might have been fine early on in basic tech demos, but that time is long fucking gone.

No, it’s not. It’s a broken shitshow.

You don't know what you're talking about. Beat Saber, Moss, Sairento, even The Climb and Lone Echo can now run on a Snapdragon 835.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You don't know what you're talking about. Beat Saber, Moss, Sairento, even The Climb and Lone Echo can now run on a Snapdragon 835.

And? Different architecture, different implementation of features and instructions, different operating systems. Not directly comparable, ergo false equivalence.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And? Different architecture, different implementation of features and instructions, different operating systems. Not directly comparable, ergo false equivalence.

Reinforces the fact that you don't need very powerful hardware to run VR.

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Reinforces the fact that you don't need very powerful hardware to run VR.

No, it doesn’t. These chips are not directly comparable, and it’s disingenuous to pretend that they are. ARM chips are powerful when played to their strengths, the instructions they use and how they implement them.

You presented a false equivalence.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Already have a Vive, but still really interested in the controllers with their touch sensors.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

48 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Resolution? poly count? Etc? Apples vs oranges. They "run". Yes. The quality though scales with performance and price.

A Snapdragon IS equivalent to Intel/AMD chips for some workloads yes. But I doubt they are for Nvidia cards/chips just yet.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No, it doesn’t. These chips are not directly comparable, and it’s disingenuous to pretend that they are. ARM chips are powerful when played to their strengths, the instructions they use and how they implement them.

You presented a false equivalence.

You falsely claimed I equated things I did not equate.

34 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Resolution? poly count? Etc? Apples vs oranges. They "run". Yes. The quality though scales with performance and price.

A Snapdragon IS equivalent to Intel/AMD chips for some workloads yes. But I doubt they are for Nvidia cards/chips just yet.

Yes, quality scales with performance. That's also why you have minimum specs and recommended specs. You can run VR games on the Valve Index with a GTX 970 and have a good experience, or you can use a more powerful GPU for a better experience.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

You falsely claimed I equated things I did not equate.

Wrong.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

^ That’s a false equivalence.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 hours ago, Sakkura said:

You don't know what you're talking about. I've tried it, and it's fine. Yeah I'd rather be at the recommended specs or higher, but the minimums provide a playable experience.

Nearly cutting the required performance in half makes a difference. It's like turning a GTX 960 into a GTX 970, and a GTX 970 into a GTX 1070.

I guess I have a very different version of playable than you. Throwing up because of inconsistent frames and not enough of them is not playable to me. 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Wrong.

^ That’s a false equivalence.

It's not even an equivalence at all. I didn't say anything was equal to anything else.

21 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I guess I have a very different version of playable than you. Throwing up because of inconsistent frames and not enough of them is not playable to me. 

With ASW you're getting enough frames and with enough consistency that it will be comfortable for most people.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

It's not even an equivalence at all. I didn't say anything was equal to anything else.

With ASW you're getting enough frames and with enough consistency that it will be comfortable for most people.

I guess I am not one of those people.

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I guess I am not one of those people.

Most people aren't.

As much as enthusiasts want to pretend otherwise, VR is just not for most people and won't be for quite some time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Yeah. Same with the refresh rate limits. You need to hit high refresh rate. Low latency. And less warp (if possible), so you have the best experience for the most people. Otherwise it starts to tank quality of experience.

Yes, some people are happy with 15fps gameplay. Perhaps most are. But the industry aims for 30fps average.

Mobile can do VR. But it's often not the same type of experience.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:08 PM, Drak3 said:

Most people aren't.

As much as enthusiasts want to pretend otherwise, VR is just not for most people and won't be for quite some time.

I doubt it ever will. Even if we get to a point where you can run any game on any phone with no sensors or setup, you're still looking at a subset of players willing to clear a bunch of space in their homes and effectively blind themselves to the outside world. As it gets cheaper and more immersive it'll get more adoption, but anyone expecting VR to ever become the norm for gaming is out of touch with reality.

That is at least until we have full neutral interfaces where you can just sit on your couch and jack in, but something tells me that'll be a while. 

On 5/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, Drak3 said:

Most people aren't.

for it to be for everyone it needs to be sub $400 and be easy to setup and use. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc