EGS is having an affect, Valve announce an almost complete redesign of your Steam Library

Master Disaster

Valve appeared at GDC to announce some big changes to Steam, more specifically the steam library.

This week at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, Valve announced a series of changes coming soon to Steam. Foremost among them are an overhauled game library and an event system that can be used by developers to keep players clued in about what’s happening in games they own.

During a press pre-briefing on Tuesday, Alden Kroll from Valve described the library changes as a “complete redesign.” Users’ Steam libraries will soon have their own home page, not unlike the Steam store’s front page. 

1341109694_y36ecwjksax8qvfaf6cl(1).png.9b342fda112777957723e530a88fa5cb.png

The new design features the ever popular Carousel and is going to be more tailored towards delivering online news and content updates.

puy2sansxjchn1k8sjll.thumb.jpg.2bcafa79f42908295e380717c200a8ca.jpg

The Steam library home page will have a carousel dedicated to game updates and events, to keep players clued in about what’s going on in their games. There will also be a widget dedicated to friend activity, allowing you to see what your pals (and/or lifelong nemeses) are up to in individual games. From there, you’ll be able to matchmake into games with them, if you want.

Individual game pages in the Steam library are also getting re-tooled, again with a focus on providing players with information about updates, events, and friends. There’ll be a feed for events and updates, as well as one for friends’ screenshots, achievements, reviews, and things of the like. Here’s how that’ll look:

It will also be getting the same tagging system as the store and the ability to create groups by tags in the games that you own.

Players will also soon be able to sort their games using the same tag system that the Steam store currently employs. Any games that fit the criteria for a specific collection—Kroll used open-world role-playing games as an example—will automatically be added to that collection, taking some of the hassle out of keeping your colossal game collection from bursting out of your figurative closet.

The final update will be an announcement system which will allow developers to deliver announcements about their games and online services straight to players. There will be traffic measuring systems for the back end too

The other big change coming to Steam in the near future is a robust event system designed, said Kroll, to improve Steam’s functionality in this era of “live service games.” Developers will be able to announce an event—say, a tournament, a major update, or a livestream of a big esports match—and players will be able to receive notifications via the method of their choosing. Players will also be able to set reminders about the events that can reach them by way of email, text message, phone notification, Google Calendar, or other options.

This will all be bound together by an events home page that will be different for every user based on which games they have in their library. The page will have sections for recommended upcoming events, as well as “major” and “minor” ones.

gd9pnbdxlrw3uopddhpl.png.6e5065fcef97675985239f0531a91ffa.png

The changes are currently in closed beta, open beta should start within a few months.

https://kotaku.com/steam-libraries-are-getting-an-overhaul-1833473185

Interesting changes, I like the new look. It's true what they say about competition being necessary for innovation.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'm curious over what more they'll do. 

Because as much as I hate exclusivity, Epic is starting to get Valve's attention, and I hope they respond appropriately. 

Just not with more exclusives, because fuck that. EGS third party exclusives are already bad enough. We don't need more. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

tis is freakin BEEEEAUTIFULLL

✨FNIGE✨

I think it'll be nice to see Valve give the Steam Client itself a design overhaul, especially with the big changes coming. 

As it stands, the UI is functional but nothing really more. And looks a bit out of place together with the overhauled main body. 

For the longest time, I've used Metro for Steam and I adore its look and feel. But I think Valve should do their own thing and find a way to make the Steam Client itself feel fresh in terms of design. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

What is this, Twitter?

Nnot a fan of cluster-like design, but I may not be one to talk, as I basically don't even use Steam client.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Its a bit of a stretch to say that this is due to Epic. Redesigns like this could take several months to even get to this state. There has been talk of big changes to Steam's UI since before Epic started trotting out exclusives.

Cool. I think it looks alright. I stick to the small-mode view, though, and I hope it's still basically the same after the update.

EGS might have pushed Valve to hurry up with it, but it's been long in the making.

3 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Steam 2.0 has been known about for at least six months

It's been talked about since early 2017.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-universal-new-client-leak

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Its a bit of a stretch to say that this is due to Epic. Redesigns like this could take several months to even get to this state. There has been talk of big changes to Steam's UI since before Epic started trotting out exclusives.

It might have been expedited in response. 

Although I have a feeling more are coming 

This looks like hell for me, I have 180+ games, I want a compact list not a carousel that shows me like 5 games at a time 

*edit*

Actually that's fine looking, was hard to see on my phone 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

55 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Because as much as I hate exclusivity, Epic is starting to get Valve's attention, and I hope they respond appropriately.  

Just not with more exclusives, because fuck that. EGS third party exclusives are already bad enough. We don't need more.  

My concern with Epic is that I think they will just double-down on exclusives. ?

They've shown zero indication they plan on making a serviceable client.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

My concern with Epic is that I think they will just double-down on exclusives. ?

Epic has claimed that they'll progressively tone done with the exclusives before foregoing them entirely. 

I hope they follow their word... 

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Epic has stated they expect to slow down buying exclusives when/if Valve responds and moves away from the 30% cut.

They released a roadmap of improvements last week (I think). If they keep to it the client will get a lot better over time. They released it far, far, too early.

9 minutes ago, Derangel said:

They released a roadmap of improvements last week (I think). If they keep to it the client will get a lot better over time. They released it far, far, too early.

That combined with the privacy issues alongside the exclusivity and Tencent has made people weary. 

All of this could have been handled far, far better. 

Nice.

When is Valve gonna re-evaluate their revenue split? Getting real tired of the Tencent spyware grabbing all the good games like Metro, Satisfactory, and Outer Worlds.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

How is that EGS effect? Steam occasionally gets an overhaul. 

Furthermore for people that missed it, Mirrors Edge Catalyst was shown on Steam in one picture. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

We have known this have been in works for a long time, it has nothing to do with EGS.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This has been in the works for some time.

Looks ok, will have to use it in person to get a real feel.

1 hour ago, Phentos said:

When is Valve gonna re-evaluate their revenue split? 

I think they should lower it to 20% across the board. 30% seems too much, although I know they maintain a massive infrastructure.

But the thing is Epic is offering big payouts to get exclusivity. This is apart from the revenue split. So even if Valve changes their revenue split they will still have the issue of paid exclusivity on Epic.

It's like the console wars, although it has some impact it's not the revenue split that buys exclusivity. It's other incentives that are thrown at the devs to keep the game off a competing platform.

Yeah but where's Source engine 3?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I doubt this has given the effect of pushing Valve for showing their new design on Steam. It was something that was planned for a while now. The only way Valve can actually make an effect upon the market is basically by coming with new games that people are actually interested into. Perhaps then they might make the decision of lowering down their percentage they take from the sales of a certain game so more money goes towards the developers. 

Anyways, when it comes to redesigning their overall UI, they should start doing the same thing to the Android and iOS app because that's been out-of-date for a very long time now. Still haven't got any group chat functions or whatever.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

7 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

The only way Valve can actually make an effect upon the market is basically by coming with new games that people are actually interested into.

Modern big game development is difficult, rigorous, multi-year process involving large teams of employees with proper planning and break down milestones, hiring the required people and pushing through all obstacles to create a compelling and polished product both technically and artistically.

Doesn't sound like something modern Valve is capable of. They can do smaller projects very well, but they don't have that fire under their asses now.

If that Half Life VR game they are making turns out to be good I will concede I was wrong. But for now that's my opinion.

They couldn't even finish up their Source 2 engine to a state where they could release the SDK some 7 years after announcing it.