Opinion: Apple isn't ripping anyone off

Henker
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this a civil discussion.

Remember the Community Standards and please think before you hit the shiny reply button :)

I saw this video by Louis Rossmann: 

And everyone is going wild in the comments that people who buy Apple are stupid because they rip you off...

But in my opinion this is not a ripoff. It's a standard for their post warranty repair process. The Macbook in the video had indications of widespread water intrusion. Apple is not in the same business as Louis Rosssmann. They sell new computers and service them under warranty. They offer post warranty repair service, but it has boundaries. The policy is that they won't go fishing around for root cause analysis. In order to accept an item for repair, it must meet certain qualifications. Checking for water intrusion is one of them. All CBC has proved is that there is a market for computer repair. This is sensationalism, not journalism.

BY THE WAY

Just look at Huawei and Samsung costumer service reviews... 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.huawei.com

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.samsung.com/uk

Apple when they fix a computer in and out of warranty want to make sure that it won't break again shortly after. if it has water damage all over it they cannot guarantee that thus all components affected need to be replaced. 

i don't know what's difficult to understand about that... 

She/Her

Apple sucks! Why don't they service any smashed up Apple Product? I accidentally dropped my iPhone through my lawnmower, and not covered? Sad. Only needed a whole new backing, logic board, camera, touch sensor, screen, digitiser, volume buttons, rest of the phone. Terrible service. Wanted me to buy a whole new phone at a reduced cost. Never buying Apple again. 

11 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple sucks! Why don't they service any smashed up Apple Product? I accidentally dropped my iPhone through my lawnmower, and not covered? Sad. Only needed a whole new backing, logic board, camera, touch sensor, screen, digitiser, volume buttons, rest of the phone. Terrible service. Wanted me to buy a whole new phone at a reduced cost. Never buying Apple again. 

It took me a while to realize you were being sarcastic.

Apple isn't doing anything wrong.  Capitalism.  Its the Consumer whose a moron.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I like many of Apple's products, but their out of warranty repair policies and general attitude towards serviceability are definitely questionable.

Having to buy a new mainboard with all of the major cost components soldered to it if literally anything on it fails, or needing a complete phone replacement if the back glass on your 1000€+ iPhone breaks is ridiculous from an economics perspective. In both cases Apple will have you replace lots of perfectly functioning (and pricey) components to do what should be a fairly standard repair.

Are they ripping you off because of that? Well, their products are expensive and they're certainly not doing you any favors with some of their design choices, but then again, Apple's offering a lot in terms of software, customer service and device ecosystem. Whether or not that's worth the relative price premium compared to competitor products is up for everyone to decide.

1 hour ago, Henker said:

The Macbook in the video had indications of widespread water intrusion.

It has been proven that mere humidity change those "water damage dots" to red, indicating "water damage" for the Apple "geniuses".
Real water damage create corrosion on the board.
Apple is screwing their customers by claiming the tiniest of issue is water damage because of their faulty diagnosis methods involving those stupid dots that are WAY too sensitive to any sort of humidity.
You'd have to live in the desert with 0% humidity for the dots to never turn red over the course of normal usage.

The fact they are unwilling to actually diagnose a problem, just look for "water damage" (are the dots red? It's water damage, lets replace the entire board and the screen for good measure) and just outright decide to change everything instead of actually addressing the real issue, charging you for every parts in the process, is a problem and it needs to be spoken about.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It is amazing how many people they have managed to fool in to thinking this is actually ok and even needed :)

If they do not want to do something or charge insane amount of dollars for something that is totally ok. What is not is how they try to force everyone else to not do repairs.

2 hours ago, Henker said:

I saw this video by Louis Rossmann: 

And everyone is going wild in the comments that people who buy Apple are stupid because they rip you off...

But in my opinion this is not a ripoff. It's a standard for their post warranty repair process. The Macbook in the video had indications of widespread water intrusion. Apple is not in the same business as Louis Rosssmann. They sell new computers and service them under warranty. They offer post warranty repair service, but it has boundaries. The policy is that they won't go fishing around for root cause analysis. In order to accept an item for repair, it must meet certain qualifications. Checking for water intrusion is one of them. All CBC has proved is that there is a market for computer repair. This is sensationalism, not journalism.

BY THE WAY

Just look at Huawei and Samsung costumer service reviews... 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.huawei.com

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.samsung.com/uk

Did you even watch the video? Go to 5:35 in the video and listen as to why those water sensors are meaningless to tell if the laptop actually sustained water damage. Could you point out where the laptop has "widespread water intrusion" ? The stickers are red, must be the consumers fault for using it wrong.

The same can be done with Apple too, by the way. In general consumers that are unhappy with their device are going to go write a negative review, those that are fine with the product don't even bother writing a positive review.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.apple.co.uk

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.apple.com

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

Apple when they fix a computer in and out of warranty want to make sure that it won't break again shortly after. if it has water damage all over it they cannot guarantee that thus all components affected need to be replaced. 

i don't know what's difficult to understand about that... 

As mentioned those water damage stickers are pointless in a device that isn't sealed like a phone, and all it takes is having the laptop in a slightly humid room and those sensors can turn red. The senors are there so Apple can deny warranty service without actually inspecting the board for corrosion.

It doesn't take some stickers turning red for a trained board repair tech to see if the computer has water damage. Getting screwed over by Apple for parts that don't need replacing or damage that can be repaired isn't normal at all.

@Blademaster91 afaik humidity isn't good for computers. 

also if you manage to break a pin from a connector that should never be removed, you've clearly done something to it. 

like that's the cable connecting the LCD tto the mobo if i'm correct. under what circuimstances could that be removed far enough for it to bend, and then actually bend? 

She/Her

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

@Blademaster91 afaik humidity isn't good for computers. 

also if you manage to break a pin from a connector that should never be removed, you've clearly done something to it. 

like that's the cable connecting the LCD tto the mobo if i'm correct. under what circuimstances could that be removed far enough for it to bend, and then actually bend? 

No but the sensors can and often do turn red doing any normal use, the moisture sensors don't mean anything except for Apple to tell you without doing any further examination your computer is out warranty so buy a new one.

But the pin, i think that was done as a test to see how Apple would respond to the laptop being previously opened, which didn't go well at all when the customer was told to pay nearly the full price of the laptop in parts, when the pin can be bent back for free, in their case fixing the display. Not being able to open your own computer is also whats wrong here but not the main point.

Apple has been pulling this stuff for years. Telling you to buy new units instead of SIMPLY REPLACING A BATTERY, soldering ram to motherboards, filing lawsuits to stop people from repairing easily repaired issues.

Louis Rossman has direct conflict of interests against apple.

HE does not have a natural stand.

So everything he said need to be taking with a grain of salt.

But normally people believe what they wanna believe.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

12 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Or maybe people are getting blatantly ripped off for repairs. Doesn't matter if the hardware has a fruit or a Dell logo. Those prices are atrocious.

Because charging $600 for back panel replacement is completely normal.

But you are right, Apple isn't ripping people off. It's the people who rip off themselves by buying Apple

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Well I can speak from personal experience, I have an air2 with broken screen, I know that is all that is wrong with it, and i know it can be repaired.  Apple want me to spend $600 on a new ipad instead of repairing it.  That's a blatant ripoff, because if the corner shop with off the shelf tools can replace the screen for $320 then I am damned sure apple can come close.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

19 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Or maybe people are getting blatantly ripped off for repairs. Doesn't matter if the hardware has a fruit or a Dell logo. Those prices are atrocious.

people are getting ripped off. that's for sure.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

10 hours ago, campy said:

The big issue with Apple is that they have been lobbying for years to take away a consumers right to repair or use of 3rd party repair services.

Now where is your evidence?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

51 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yeah, his conflict of interest is real. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I dont think its fair to compare Louis his repairs with Apple. I dont know if you watched his videos but most of his repairs are very difficult and are about tiny amounts of water under certain components. The chance that any other components will fail is big. But he just gets the machine working so the customer can get his data of there. 

Same deal for my work. I repair electronics so that the device in question will work again till i get the replacement part. Which most of the time is a whole PCB.

Again, a tiny amount of liquid can screw up alot in electronics. 

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, his conflict of interest is real. 

..because he makes money repairing primarily Apple products that Apple won't repair, or charge an exorbitant fee to repair?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

..because he makes money repairing primarily Apple products that Apple won't repair, or charge an exorbitant fee to repair?

Yes. He hates them but he needs them to exist. He doesn't want people buying MacBooks but knows that if people actually listened to him he would be out of a job.