Apple wants to kill the normal SIM card (updated to fix a really dumb mistake i made...)

AlexGoesHigh

everyone knows what a SIM is, a tiny chip that allows you to use a GSM carrier services, now with the recent announcement of the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, Apple has removed the SIM slot in favor of what the call (very origianal btw) a Apple SIM, which can be reprogrammed to work whit any carrier that want to support this technology, ATM those are T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T in US and UK carrier EE. Verizon isn't aboard at the moment and probably wont for a long time or until they get free money at their feet

Apple seems to have planned this since the beginning of the iPhone because it used a tray only accessible with a folded paper clip and now the SIM removal tool, something that at the time was insane, now its the way you place the SIM inside several other phones from different manufactures, next came micro SIM, which debuted with the original iPad back in 2010, again it was insane back then, now you find it the majority of phones, more common that standard size SIM, next came nano SIM, which debuted whit the iPhone 5 two years ago, despite most manufactures opposing this at the time, it still happened, now we get to today, with this, a reprogrammable embedded to the device SIM, you can still switch carriers and apple made the software part almost as easy as switching wifi networks, the tedious part, you have to pay a visit to your carriers office to kill it, and then go to the new carrier to activate the new line, or at least that's what i assume is going to be the process to switch carriers, or at least move a line from your old device to the new one

EDIT: well i'll be straight and just quote the article

Apple SIM is still removable, and carrier-bought iPads will use regular, locked SIMs

so i was an idiot on that part, you can all hate me for that though i think they update their article after i wrote this, not sure -__-

Screen_Shot_2014-10-16_at_12.31.44_PM.0.

unlike the transition between SIM size, this is going to light a battle against carrier, because it breaks pretty much everything, and the way it has worked since the past 15 years at least, its gonna be harder to pull off because its trying to kill the control the carrier has, being the line stuck on a chip or on a device, this is neither

Source: The Verge

personally, regardless of being apple, or android or whatever, this is going to end up going two ways, the good one, making switching lines between devices as easy as switching wifi networks, which tbh sounds fantastic, and i hope this is the idea behind this, now the bad one, is that is going to make this simple task a lot harder, because the data is now held inside the device like CDMA, and I'm sure as hell carriers wants you to pay a visit to them if you want to switch to another devices, going back to they way of CDMA, which is annoying and i reject this completely because its going to be impossible to buy unlocked, carrier shit free devices, since all the data is back again inside the device, I'm seriously hoping the former is the path to follow because the later its literally going back to the past

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Fuck. NO. FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO.

i love the sim card. i don't want it gone. i want apple to fucking use it. they are cunts for not using it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That's no good :(

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

CDMA already tried... and look where that went

I think it's split evenly between Sprint and Verizon and AT&T and T-Mobile. S and V use CDMA, A and T use GSM. How odd.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Interesting but no thanks

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Nothing new, look up multiple IMSI. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Nothing new, look up multiple IMSI. 

this is different, this embedded to the device, its not removable, this is why i'm making the post, not because you can change lines whit it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I think it's split evenly between Sprint and Verizon and AT&T and T-Mobile. S and V use CDMA, A and T use GSM. How odd.

Verizon LTE phones have SIM cards though, and are factory unlocked. Some Verizon phones like the Droid DNA work with both GSM and CDMA, so you could just pop in a different carrier's SIM and you're good to go.

I still think CDMA and it's SIM-less nonsense needs to die though, and we can thank LTE for helping phase it out.

"Rawr XD"

so what if i need to swap my sim to another phone? it just means i'm stuck with that 1 phone..

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

this is different, this embedded to the device, its not removable, this is why i'm making the post, not because you can change lines whit it

Interesting, but in effect, they basically soldered the SIM circuitry to the PCB. 

I will say that on the fly programming of multiple IMSI has never been done like this before, and I do aplaude Apple for pushing on that front of the technology advancement. My post was in regards to how the technological implementation has already been achieved, albeit, not at such a integrated level on the new iPads. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

unlike the transition between SIM size, this is going to light a battle against carrier, because it breaks pretty much everything, and the way it has worked since the past 15 years at least, its gonna be harder to pull off because its trying to kill the control the carrier has, being the line stuck on a chip or on a device, this is neither

Until I got an iphone, none of my phones had sim cards, I think you just called your provider and read off the IMEI (or some other long number behind the battery)... to activate your service to that phone. That went for my motorola startac, motorola razr, kyocera... whatever it was, and lg gab or chat... or what opened like a book into a full landscape keyboard. I much preferred this, because sims fail, and if you lose your phone, not only do you have to go to a store and get a new sim and phone, you still have to contact them to activate it. SIM cards were great when you could store your address book on them... but as far as I know, they're just used as identifiers now.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

I thought they were going to improve it, apparently not.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

this, if it takes off, will render my backup phones useless when something happens to my main phone.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

everyone knows what a SIM is, a tiny chip that allows you to use a GSM carrier services, now WITH the recent announcement of the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, Apple has removed the SIM slot in favor of what the call (very origianal btw) a Apple SIM, which can be reprogrammed to work WITH any carrier that want to support this technology, ATM those are T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T in US and UK carrier EE. Verizon isn't aboard at the moment and probably wont for a long time or until they get free money at their feet

Apple seems to have planned this since the beginning of the iPhone because it used a tray only accessible WITH a folded paper clip and now the SIM removal tool, something that at the time was insane, now its the way you place the SIM inside several other phones from different manufactures, next came micro SIM, which debuted WITH the original iPad back in 2010, again it was insane back then, now you find it the majority of phones, more common that standard size SIM, next came nano SIM, which debuted WITH the iPhone 5 two years ago, despite most manufactures opposing this at the time, it still happened, now we get to today, WITH this, a reprogrammable embedded to the device SIM, you can still switch carriers and apples made the software part almost as easy as switching wifi networks, the tedious part, you have to pay a visit to your carriers office to kill it, and then go to the new carrier to activate the new line, or at least that's what i assume is going to be the process to switch carriers, or at least move a line from your old device to the new one

- picture snip -

Source: The Verge

personally, regardless of being apple, or android or whatever, this is going to end up going two ways, the good one, making switching lines between devices as easy as switching wifi networks, which tbh sounds fantastic, and i hope this is the idea behind this, now the bad one, is that is going to make this simple task a lot harder, because the data is now held inside the device like CDMA, and I'm sure as hell carriers wants you to pay a visit to them if you want to switch to another devices, going back to they way of CDMA, which is annoying and i reject this completely because its going to be impossible to buy unlocked, carrier shit free devices, since all the data is back again inside the device, I'm seriously hoping the former is the path to follow because the later its literally going back to the past

Fixed ;)

Anyway, honestly I don't see the other manufacturers following suit on this. In theory, if it were programmed with every possible Carrier on the planet, then hey no problem. But if my particular carrier hasn't been "programmed" into iOS yet, then I won't be able to use my newly purchased iPad, despite having a compatible network?

Two words:

FUCK

THAT

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Fuck. NO. FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO FUCK NO.

i love the sim card. i don't want it gone. i want apple to fucking use it. they are cunts for not using it.

ahh the apple hate train has arrived. I don't see anything wrong with this and neither should anyone who actually reads the article

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Verizon LTE phones have SIM cards though, and are factory unlocked. Some Verizon phones like the Droid DNA work with both GSM and CDMA, so you could just pop in a different carrier's SIM and you're good to go.

I still think CDMA and it's SIM-less nonsense needs to die though, and we can thank LTE for helping phase it out.

Just to clarify something. GSM and CMDA are 2G technologies. They are the legacy networks of most of the major providers. HSPA (3G and 3G+, UMTS) is actually the evolution of CDMA (also known as WCDMA) but it adopted the SIM card model. LTE (True 4G) also adopted the SIM card model.

SIM cards no longer have ANYTHING to do with GSM aside from the fact that old legacy GSM networks happen to use them.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Fixed ;)

Anyway, honestly I don't see the other manufacturers following suit on this. In theory, if it were programmed with every possible Carrier on the planet, then hey no problem. But if my particular carrier hasn't been "programmed" into iOS yet, then I won't be able to use my newly purchased iPad, despite having a compatible network?

Two words:

FUCK

THAT

@AlexGoesHigh it is spelled "with" not "whit" :) I see you misspell that on all the news I read from ya

fuck it, going back to chrome spell check did see that, fixing now, sorry English isn't my main language -__________________________-

Until I got an iphone, none of my phones had sim cards, I think you just called your provider and read off the IMEI (or some other long number behind the battery)... to activate your service to that phone. That went for my motorola startac, motorola razr, kyocera... whatever it was, and lg gab or chat... or what opened like a book into a full landscape keyboard. I much preferred this, because sims fail, and if you lose your phone, not only do you have to go to a store and get a new sim and phone, you still have to contact them to activate it. SIM cards were great when you could store your address book on them... but as far as I know, they're just used as identifiers now.

SIM cards hold all the network info. It's not quite as simple as calling your provider and giving them the IMEI. Your phone would already have to have the network info pre-programmed into it. At least, that's what I recall from way back in the 2G legacy days.

fuck it, going back to chrome spell check did see that, fixing now, sorry English isn't my main language -__________________________-

Heh, and here I thought you were doing it on purpose ;)

Heh, and here I thought you were doing it on purpose ;)

if it was on purpose ill broke my english even more

Well... This time Apple kinda screwed up, I'll admit it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sprint LTE uses SIMS too and most work on GSM in other countries

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles