Apple wants to kill the normal SIM card (updated to fix a really dumb mistake i made...)

AlexGoesHigh

Are people taking into account that this is a tablet, not a phone?

I can see potential issues arising if a single SIM system were implemented in a phone without any (universal) industry standards set in place, but on a tablet, it makes much more sense.

Especially with the iPad, this is convenient for traveling (both domestically and internationally); it's not as if Apple is restricting the user's ability to choose a carrier...all carriers, except VZW, in the US that provided iPad service before, are still providing it with the Apple SIM. Plus, I don't think many of you realize that this is not some embedded chip; it's removable.

No but I might like to expand my memory by having a Micro SD card, or put in an extended life battery, none of which is possible on an apple product.

Nor is it possible with most phones being released these days. The number of manufacturers that continue to support microSD slots and swappable batteries is small these days, with Samsung being the obvious elephant in the room.

Seriously, how can people be fucking upset by this? This is great! No more carrier-specific devices!

I swear, Apple could cure world hunger and this forum would be in a rage over it...

No but I might like to expand my memory by having a Micro SD card, or put in an extended life battery, none of which is possible on an apple product.

"none of which are possible"

*hides*

Yeah because you can swap batteries on your Nokia WP8...

I personally like to expand my memory by lighting up some mj but if toking Micro SD cards does it for you then whatever...

Did you even read any of the arguments against it? Also, you just implied that less than 10% of people here change phones.

I want to note that nearly everyone defending it is pulling the Apple hater card and ignoring the actual arguments. Also, read my post above which invalidates your assumption completely. Either way, you're going on my ignore list because you seem like a huge dick.

This would only affect people switching between phones constantly. Most people only change phones when they buy a new one. I had to go to the store to get a new SIM card anyways so what's the big deal?

Seriously, how can people be fucking upset by this? This is great! No more carrier-specific devices!

I swear, Apple could cure world hunger and this forum would be in a rage over it...

No, this does not mean "no more carrier specific devices". If anything, not having a SIM card would make it far easier to lock devices to the carrier. When you change your SIM all your carrier info gets changed and it appears different to your phone. When they lock a phone they have to work around that. With this they could just go "okay, let's simply remove all the code for all networks except our own".

How the fuck would this mean no more carrier specific devices? That is such a ridiculous jump in logic...

And look, another one pulling the "Apple hater" card. This has become a pattern.

I doubt this will affect 10% of the people here but yet the reactions are hilarious. If it was Google doing it there would be praise and comments about how they are so great. See apples name attached to it and all of sudden it's the most outrageous crime against mankind.

You guys aren't Jason Bourne. You don't need to swap SIM cards on the fly to avoid being traced. This will have absolutely little impact on anyone so might be time to reevaluate your life.

Most of the arguments have got nothing to do with apple (only the stupid ones about patenting and locking down).  There is so much we don't know about this so claiming it to be great or to not have any downside is just as ignorant as claiming it is only going to be a pain in the arse or a complete fail. Sure it has potential, but until the finer details are understood and how the carriers implement it, I think some of the concern is well warranted.  

I have stated earlier on why such a system (to my understanding as proposed) would simply mean I would have to buy a second phone and run with two numbers. This is an inconvenience I don't want.  Nor do I want to have to call my carrier every second week when I need to change phones.   No sim means using the cloud to sync contacts between phones, which I cannot do due to privacy policy.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

How the fuck would this mean no more carrier specific devices? That is such a ridiculous jump in logic...

And look, another one pulling the "Apple hater" card. This has become a pattern.

Because the whole point of this is so that there isn't a carrier-specific device! Is that not blatantly obvious? You buy a unified device, and choose the carrier, as opposed to buying a device specific to that carrier. If anything, this could help Android not have terrible software update waits in the future.

You can't say that this forum is impartial to all brands. Please don't go there.

Most of the arguments have got nothing to do with apple (only the stupid ones about patenting and locking down).  There is so much we don't know about this so claiming it to be great or to not have any downside is just as ignorant as claiming it is only going to be a pain in the arse or a complete fail. Sure it has potential, but until the finer details are understood and how the carriers implement it, I think some of the concern is well warranted.  

I have stated earlier on why such a system (to my understanding as proposed) would simply mean I would have to buy a second phone and run with two numbers. This is an inconvenience I don't want.  Nor do I want to have to call my carrier every second week when I need to change phones.   No sim means using the cloud to sync contacts between phones, which I cannot do due to privacy policy.  

I'm not claiming it to be great, I'm simply saying that having a device that isn't made specifically for one carrier seems a bit more convenient; then you can buy the iPad, and look around at the best plan, instead of buying a Verizon one and hating that AT&T had a better plan, for instance.

In my country ALL phones are sold unlocked so you can put any sim card from any company you want, i have no clue why the US isn't like that.

Apple is not doing anything ground breaking, but it is a good idea especially for the iPad's.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

In my country ALL phones are sold unlocked so you can put any sim card from any company you want, i have no clue why the US isn't like that.

Apple is not doing anything ground breaking, but it is a good idea especially for the iPad's.

Well the difference in the iPad is that there is no SIM; it's software that handles it.

Also, the US is so behind on everything. It sucks. Food, tech, even Canada has us beat in ebola preparation.

EDIT - I stand corrected, there is a SIM. It's called the Apple SIM, and it essentially grants you free access to the carrier you want without switching.

Wonder what this thread would turn into if it was a google article. I'm sure most people who are freaking out and calling Apple names would be praising goole for their push in technology. I find it sad when people loose their ability to appreciate a company for their work and getting carriers to work with this is not a small feat by any means

Wonder what this thread would turn into if it was a google article. I'm sure most people who are freaking out and calling Apple names would be praising goole for their push in technology. I find it sad when people loose their ability to appreciate a company for their work and getting carriers to work with this is not a small feat by any means

I am pretty sure it would be the other way around actually. So far it seems like the side who is against it is saying "this is bad because of X and Y and Z", while the side who is for it is mostly saying "oh people are just hating because it is Apple".

So if it was Google then barely anyone would be positive. Right now it's like 75% vs 25%, with the majority of people for it hiding behind a "they are just hating it because it's Apple" shield.

You people are fucking idiots. I'm not sugarcoating it. Read the fucking thread instead of making stupid incorrect assumptions! This is why I hate Apple fantards.

Because the whole point of this is so that there isn't a carrier-specific device! Is that not blatantly obvious? You buy a unified device, and choose the carrier, as opposed to buying a device specific to that carrier. If anything, this could help Android not have terrible software update waits in the future.

You can't say that this forum is impartial to all brands. Please don't go there.

I thought you meant exclusive, sorry. It still wouldn't change anything, though. It's entirely possible to do it without this tech, so really, this won't change anything unless it somehow changes the way manufacturers do business.

Don't fucking put words in my mouth. I know that not everyone here is impartial. Case in point: you. Trying to invalidate all opposing arguments with "LOL APPLE HATERS" is sad and pathetic. I pity you.

I am pretty sure it would be the other way around actually. So far it seems like the side who is against it is saying "this is bad because of X and Y and Z", while the side who is for it is mostly saying "oh people are just hating because it is Apple".

So if it was Google then barely anyone would be positive. Right now it's like 75% vs 25%, with the majority of people for it hiding behind a "they are just hating it because it's Apple" shield.

Any new tech can be good or bad, depending how it is adopted. Most of the people who are against this only seem to see the bad aspects and completely ignore the good aspects. Many of the against replies usually involve focusing on Apple and what Apple does instead of seeing the technology in a broader way. It's not just about Apple locking products to their chosen providers, it being re-programmable means any provider can choose to support it and the consumer can simply download the required network data if it already is not on the Apple SIM. Also, its not Apple who choose who gets to be on the Apple SIM, its the providers themselves who choose to be included.

If this "universal SIM" technology gets broader adoption, it will be up to the consumer to choose the service provider as they see fit. There won't be need for different devices for different providers and you can quickly get a new plan even at the middle of the night if you want without having to visit a store or wait for a new sim card to arrive in mail. Of course some service providers don't like it because they lose more control of their customers, and different countries have different practices, which in the end have nothing to do with Apple or what this technology is capable of. If you are worried how this might lock you harder down onto certain providers/carriers/devices, then those companies will find a way to do it with or without this tech anyway. Only time will tell what comes of it.

You people are fucking idiots. I'm not sugarcoating it. Read the fucking thread instead of making stupid incorrect assumptions! This is why I hate Apple fantards.

I thought you meant exclusive, sorry. It still wouldn't change anything, though. It's entirely possible to do it without this tech, so really, this won't change anything unless it somehow changes the way manufacturers do business.

Don't fucking put words in my mouth. I know that not everyone here is impartial. Case in point: you. Trying to invalidate all opposing arguments with "LOL APPLE HATERS" is sad and pathetic. I pity you.

Its pretty hard to take you seriously when you swear and insult people all the time. Its also you who keeps on doing the whole "apple fan/hater" thing here.

Its pretty hard to take you seriously when you swear and insult people all the time. Its also you who keeps on doing the whole "apple fan/hater" thing here.

It's because I've lost my patience. And no, pretty much everyone defending it just calls the other side Apple haters and ignore the points brought up. I've been bringing up points throughout the entire thread until I found out that the title was sensationalist. Also, you're still dreaming if you think all manufactures will switch to universally compatible devices. Again, what's stopping them now? Do you really think that unique SIMs are the cause of how things are?

I, unlike most people here, am open to other arguments that aren't in my favor. I never said 'you're an Apple hater, what else should I expect!'

How did I put words in your mouth?

I'm not claiming it to be great, I'm simply saying that having a device that isn't made specifically for one carrier seems a bit more convenient; then you can buy the iPad, and look around at the best plan, instead of buying a Verizon one and hating that AT&T had a better plan, for instance.

You can already buy devices that aren't designed specifically for one carrier. There is no sound reason to assume that this new tech will actually stop carriers from locking devices to networks. In fact it could be argued that if you need to call your carrier in order  to change  it might even make it easier for carriers to lock devices to their network.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Any new tech can be good or bad, depending how it is adopted. Most of the people who are against this only seem to see the bad aspects and completely ignore the good aspects. Many of the against replies usually involve focusing on Apple and what Apple does instead of seeing the technology in a broader way. It's not just about Apple locking products to their chosen providers, it being re-programmable means any provider can choose to support it and the consumer can simply download the required network data if it already is not on the Apple SIM. Also, its not Apple who choose who gets to be on the Apple SIM, its the providers themselves who choose to be included.

If this "universal SIM" technology gets broader adoption, it will be up to the consumer to choose the service provider as they see fit. There won't be need for different devices for different providers and you can quickly get a new plan even at the middle of the night if you want without having to visit a store or wait for a new sim card to arrive in mail. Of course some service providers don't like it because they lose more control of their customers, and different countries have different practices, which in the end have nothing to do with Apple or what this technology is capable of. If you are worried how this might lock you harder down onto certain providers/carriers/devices, then those companies will find a way to do it with or without this tech anyway. Only time will tell what comes of it.

There is no evidence that says this new technology will stop devices from being locked.  I live in a country were you can buy any device you want and not have it tied to a network, you can buy the device and choose your own carrier, then you don't have contracts, however there is a down side to this.   If you choose this path you will pay a premium for the device, and you will not get the same carrier deals.  Ergo if you  will pay more per month for the service and more for the initial device up front.  If this technology somehow circumvents carriers from locking then I can almost guarantee you it will cost more to the consumer in the long run as they increase service fees and BYO phone connections fees etc.

To every one else who won;t read the thread and just want to say silly things:

People aren't opposed to this because it's apple, they are opposed because there is a downside and they have genuine concerns.

You can already buy devices that aren't designed specifically for one carrier. There is no sound reason to assume that this new tech will actually stop carriers from locking devices to networks. In fact it could be argued that if you need to call your carrier in order  to change  it might even make it easier for carriers to lock devices to their network.

But the thing here is that since no plans are on contract, you could be with ATT one month, then switch to T-Mobile just by switching carriers in the settings app. No calling, not even registering the IMEI on a website somewhere. There is no lock in any way; in phones it might be different, but here it's actually free from any one carrier's lock.

But the thing here is that since no plans are on contract, you could be with ATT one month, then switch to T-Mobile just by switching carriers in the settings app. No calling, not even registering the IMEI on a website somewhere. There is no lock in any way; in phones it might be different, but here it's actually free from any one carrier's lock.

I can already do that, however where you are,  aren't those plans more expensive per month than the plans that are on contracts?  They certainly are in Australia, If I were to go for a prepaid or no contract plan the monthly fee is more, if I want a phone or tablet that is not locked to a network then I have to pay more.