If I Paid for This, I'd be PISSED...

The Red Hydrogen One took forever to build, is insanely expensive, and already is outdated... Can it's camera possibly be good enough for it to compete with other flagship phones?

Buy a Google Pixel 3
On Amazon: http://geni.us/G0BNt
On Newegg: http://geni.us/VnBcGX7

Buy an iPhone XS
On Amazon: http://geni.us/yIm5f
On Newegg: http://geni.us/PXKb

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Untitled.png.9e9e540a20e5c95358a32ff7ea47052a.png

Well played.

its in the video description too, so its probably sponsored by google and they paid them to shit talk another phone.

1 minute ago, shmoochie said:

its in the video description too, so its probably sponsored by google and they paid them to shit talk another phone.

We would never do a sponsored video that trash talks a competitor, it's a unbiased review of the RED Hydrogen One, and if you watch the video you'll get why there is a Pixel there.

5 minutes ago, shmoochie said:

I'll add the iPhone in there too for coverage.

3 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We would never do a sponsored video that trash talks a competitor, it's a unbiased review of the RED Hydrogen One, and if you watch the video you'll get why there is a Pixel there.

I saw linus in a dress. im not sure if I want to watch it any further

instead of listing the exact weight difference between a Note 9 and this phone a percentage heavier would be better 0.16 Lb's heavier doesn't sound all that heavy, if we had a percentage heavier it would have been measurement unit agnostic and is just a better way to compare the weights of 2 similar objects in general.

31 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Buy an iPhone XS

Who paid you reeeee

xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

16 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

instead of listing the exact weight difference between a Note 9 and this phone a percentage heavier would be better 0.16 Lb's heavier doesn't sound all that heavy, if we had a percentage heavier it would have been measurement unit agnostic and is just a better way to compare the weights of 2 similar objects in general.

Yeah, we just like mixing in metric and imperial measurements to trigger people.

Linus sure does like to put on those women's wigs...

Something you haven't told us, Linus?

You know. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Also, maybe don't tell us...some things are best left unsaid.

The video was...ok. It kind of seems like you were looking at this from an average consumer's view, which doesn't make much sense; I don't think it's really for them.

MKBHD/Mr.Mobile had a good look at it, and while he agrees the camera is meh, the coming accessories are what will highlight the device. I think that'll be the final decider for those who are actually thinking about buying something of this price.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

seems awfully similar to the EVO 3D. The 3D capability was cool at the time, but the screen is nauseating at best. At least it supported 3D youtube videos.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The video was...ok. It kind of seems like you were looking at this from an average consumer's view, which doesn't make much sense; I don't think it's really for them.

I feel like that's the overarching theme here, though. A consumer technology centric channel didn't like the phone, so the masses that don't fit the niche this phone is designed for don't get the idea that they can buy this and have "a photographer's phones."

MrMobile had the best overall opinion of this device but he seems way more hyped for the accessories than the others.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Tbh I love the aesthetics of the phone, I think it does something so cool and different compared to the competitors who are making their phones look so uniform and make them flow. But this, well they've let the designs have a wind day out with a set of pens and do whatever they want. 

Its a shame that such a cool chassis has such craptastic user experience. 

Also the price, 1300$, that just seems wayyyy to much, even for red. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

Am I the only one here bothered by the fact that the video is not 21:9 or 16:9 ratio and instead 2:1?  Why was this video mastered (think that's the word) at 2:1 (verified by stats for nerds on YT).

Plays with bleeding edge phone = gets cut

Seriously, what the hell were you expecting - a polished first-gen product? RED is not a smartphone company. The phone's development and release have obviously been stalled for various reasons. And if anything, the high price is expected given the R&D, metal exterior and the fact that it carries the RED branding.

Apple has iTunes, yet nobody bashes on them for not embracing Hi-Res Audio or not including a proper EQ on their iPhone. How has that never been a features argument? Then they take away the headphone jack and STILL nobody complains. Just because Steve Jobs was never an audiophile it doesn't mean those who buy their music don't want a better-than-mp3 listening experience.

Your review and MKBHD take on this remind me of when McDonalds decided to sell fried chicken... only for every BIG MOUTH journalist to complain that it didn't taste like KFC.

That phones costs as much as my PC. Thats insane. Would be great for half the price.

6 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Buy a Google Pixel 3

You couldn't pay me to use that piece of shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Buy a Google Pixel 3

I'd rather buy a midrange Android than a Pixel.

I'd also rather buy a Note9 than a Pixel.

Perhaps that phone ain't for me, but at the same time, Google's forte hasn't exactly been making quality phones.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

image.png.8dc409997cb5b5f97b3c687e25732e73.png

Would this be a good drama to watch ?

image.png.a559449fba1858fce7c3b2bfb0218e5e.png

Hydro 1 Ghost, possibly the walking dead? (I indirectly poked fun at Hydro 1 in Ontario ?)

Pixel 3 Good, jackets real color? I think not.

GN9 Lacks detail imo

iPhonehome XS Blurry junk (shaky hands maybe?), jacket looks more real to life and in focus...

Now to be clear I like the design but based on the other reviews I've seen it is a bad phone, but not bad for the first phone ever made from a company who has only ever made cameras, that said I'm surprised at the crappy quality from them I would have expected more (Like Linus did). I hope they make a 2nd version going OLED non 3D junk and far better camera quality. That said IDK why Linus put the Pixel 3 in the buy this product when a last gen phone for $300 less plus a cheap used SLR for $300 would preform better in every way :D The point isn't to promote the other 3 but to make RED realize they messed up... And badly so...

If they fix many of these issues (possible even with software updates for many things like RAW support) I think it would be a very good competitor that could make the 3 mentioned in this video rework many aspects of their phones.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I'd rather buy a midrange Android than a Pixel.

I'd also rather buy a Note9 than a Pixel.

Perhaps that phone ain't for me, but at the same time, Google's forte hasn't exactly been making quality phones.

I would rather buy Huawei Mate 10 unlock on Amazon than Samsung, Apple, and Google. ?

13 hours ago, shmoochie said:

Or...hear me out...they think the Google Pixel 3 is better than this phone...

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

12 minutes ago, Shally said:

Or...hear me out...they think the Google Pixel 3 is better than this phone...

LTT only has opinions based on money. whoever pays the most has the best products to them. maybe in the old days like 2014-2015 they had real opinions.

42 minutes ago, shmoochie said:

LTT only has opinions based on money. whoever pays the most has the best products to them. maybe in the old days like 2014-2015 they had real opinions.

Why would they risk being exposed as frauds which would ruin their entire channel based off a few extra bucks? Don't be so narrow minded. EVERY other reviewer of the phone said the same things if not worse. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?