'Red Dead Redemption 2' File Size Requires Over 100 GB

Speed Weed

Sources: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/26/red-dead-redemption-2-file-size-105-gb/

https://www.techradar.com/news/red-dead-redemption-2-needs-an-absurd-100gb-plus-install

https://www.destructoid.com/red-dead-redemption-2-might-take-up-more-than-100gb-of-space-524574.phtml

TLDR: You are going to need more than 100GB space for Red Dead Redemption 2

Quote from the 1st source

Red Dead Redemption 2’s file size has been spotted for the first time, and it looks like the game will require at least 105 GB of space.

While not officially revealed by Rockstar Games in an announcement dedicated to the file size, the space that buyers will need to have the game installed was spotted recently, at least as far as the PlayStation 4 Pro is concerned. When the Red Dead Redemption 2 PlayStation 4 Pro bundle was revealed days ago, it appeared in retailers’ listings not long after. It was there that people noticed the back of the console bundle box was shown on Walmart’s site and elsewhere through the product images.

Zooming in on the image of the back of the bundle shows that directly above the bottom half that advertises the benefits of the PlayStation 4 Pro, there’s the typical game information that shows how many players can play at once and what controller the game requires. Included in the middle of that content is the file size that starts at 105 GB, a value that it says is the minimum amount needed to play the game on the PlayStation 4 Pro. The zoomed-in, cropped image below shows the message on the back of the console bundle’s box.

My thought: RIP slow internet gamers, and holy shit games these days are about to take more than 100GB. This will make a 1TB HDD means nothing if each game you installed requires more than 100GB space. 

2 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Sources: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/26/red-dead-redemption-2-file-size-105-gb/

https://www.techradar.com/news/red-dead-redemption-2-needs-an-absurd-100gb-plus-install

https://www.destructoid.com/red-dead-redemption-2-might-take-up-more-than-100gb-of-space-524574.phtml

TLDR: You are going to need more than a 100GB space for Red Dead Redemption 2

Quote from the 1st source

My thought: RIP slow internet gamers, and holy shit games these days are about to take more than 100GB. This will make a 1TB HDD means nothing if each game you installed requires more than 100GB space. 

If a game like Gears of War 4 has a download of 92 on Xbox and 120Gb on PC i can guarrantee that it will be almost the same size and not only that.

DLC and such will probably go over 150GB Total eventually.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Honestly, I don't see a problem with this, as long as it's actually meaningful amount of good content and not just bad compression of audio and video files, e.g. cutscenes. Let's talk open world, 4K textures, ridiculous amount of objects, etc etc, where is the problem? I don't blame devs not going cheap just because it will take some time to download. I'm sorry 'straya but this one is on your government and companies. 

We are getting much faster connections in general and storage is becoming very, very cheap, so why should content not increase, again, as long as it's justified?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Honestly, I don't see a problem with this, as long as it's actually meaningful amount of good content and not just bad compression of audio and video files, e.g. cutscenes. Let's talk open world, 4K textures, ridiculous amount of objects, etc etc, where is the problem? I don't blame devs not going cheap just because it will take some time to download. I'm sorry 'straya but this one is on your government and companies. 

We are getting much faster connections in general and storage is becoming very, very cheap, so why should content not increase, again, as long as it's justified?

Slow internet, and close to 200GB for one game is huge man. 

Just now, VegetableStu said:

jesus bandwidth-hogging christ O_O

105gb to be exact

for a game of that magnitude I see nothing wrong with 100gigs, I download around 500gigs just watching youtube on my phone. More the better if you ask me.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

On my pre-fiber internet this would only take 420 hours to complete providing noone did anything on my connection. 

Games are getting bigger....... So whats the surprise?

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

for a game of that magnitude I see nothing wrong with 100gigs, I download around 500gigs just watching youtube on my phone. More the better if you ask me.

Unless you don't have that kind of connection XD.

It's usually not the people who don't have big datalines that are having issues and most of the time it's not even their fault because providers do not "provide' enough bandwith to those places.

If they have 10 MBPS it would take 1 Day 1 Hour 3 Minutes to download the game.

Not to mention how long it will take to install on the ps4 XD

17 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Slow internet, and close to 200GB for one game is huge man. 

It is, but net speed is not something devs should answer for nor is it their problem. They should do the best they can. As I said, if they can give good quality content, I don't see a problem. You can buy a 1TB drive for less than the price of a AAA game. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I'll care when they release PC port.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It is, but net speed is not something devs should answer for nor is it their problem. They should do the best they can. As I said, if they can give good quality content, I don't see a problem. You can buy a 1TB drive for less than the price of a AAA game. 

Buy the game voor €100 on a 500GB HDD :P

Games are getting bigger and bigger... Yet my network speed is unchanging and still overpriced.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

40 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

FYI

1mbps: 222 hours

10mbps: 22 hours

60mbps: 3.7 hours

100mbps: 2.2 hours

-nvm-

although 2hours and ~20min doesn't equate to 2.2hours...

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

15 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Come on, do you really need 100gb for dozens of square miles of fucking desert? 

1kb per sand

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

With that many gigabytes it better work day one with no patches...

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

With that many gigabytes it better work day one with no patches...

Whats your reasoning?

The more data means more data that can contain bugs.