'Red Dead Redemption 2' File Size Requires Over 100 GB

Speed Weed
3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well I only did a quick Google and that told me that blueray disks were 25gb, was unaware there were bigger ones :) thanks for the info

Yeah, that was the first generation, that was mostly used on the PS3.

Now with the next gen consoles, it increased to 50GB.

But to be fair, you only know that, when you use modern consoles regularly. As Blue Ray never took of because of the Copy Protection/DRM shit, high prices and Steam...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Console installs are always larger than on PC, I don't know why. Halo 5 is already a 105GB on Xbox One and I think GoW 4 is even higher. These consoles were clearly not designed to run games of that size so it's going to be a struggle. I'm sure RD2 will be ported to next-gen straight away though.

FF15 PC with 4k texture pack is way bigger (155GB) lol. Games are just going to be this large going forward.

8 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

100mbps: 2.2 hours

I get 120mbps on WiFi. EZ money 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

member when games fitted in physical media and you didn't have to download three times the size of what was inside that unit to be able to play?

I member.jpg

Peperidge farm remembers.jpg

I remember specifically going out and buying a physical copy of a game because at that time I had rubbish internet and it was, for the time, a huge game. Inside the DVD case was a fucking steam key on a bit of card paper, holy shit I was so annoyed.

The return of hard copy games

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I remember specifically going out and buying a physical copy of a game because at that time I had rubbish internet and it was, for the time, a huge game. Inside the DVD case was a fucking steam key on a bit of card paper, holy shit I was so annoyed.

Was it Mass Effect? I had the same problem, and GTA V had a 22GB update after my install which killed me on 7mbps rural copper ADSL.

UPlay is particularly bad, my friend and I played Ghost Recon: Wildlands. He bought his copy through steam, and I bought mine through Uplay. My updates were 12GB, his were 4GB.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I get 120mbps on WiFi. EZ money 

Awww...120? How cute ?

3 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Was it Mass Effect? I had the same problem, and GTA V had a 22GB update after my install which killed me on 7mbps rural copper ADSL.

One of the Total War games, not sure which one but think it was the first one on Steam. Got hit 3 or 4 times by that crap so just gave up and used Steam store.

I'm interested in how they will load all those game files, considering the recent techquickie video on game load times. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

ooof maybe HDD's won't go extinct after all. No way I have the cash flow to go full SSD game library if I can only fit 5-6 games on a 500gb drive. 

For reference - on my current 500gb ssd I have:

7 days to die

dead by daylight

fallout 4 

gta 5 

pubg

TW rome 2

TW thrones of britannia

battlefield 1 

titanfall 2 

fornite 

desinty 2 

with 32gb remaining.. so average game size is 40gb

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

A lot of people seem to let their steam library live on a spinning disk anyway. I offloaded mine to an iSCSI target quite a while ago after a full library required 80% capacity of my SSD... I have other things I need my drive for...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Is there no option of getting a hard copy that installs from that? I mean 105gb is alot is idk how many disks that would take but I would think that would solve alot of the issues for console gamers. I doubt they would ever do that for pc though. 

it would solve the issues of getting it but then day one patch etc...

usually

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

That's 1/10 of Comcast monthly data cap. You better not have siblings that want the game also.

that would take 58 hours for me to download (and leaving no internet left over for other activities)....hope they have a physical version.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

They really need to do something about textures. 64K guys made whole games at 64 kilobytes with stupid sharp procedural textures and everything and game devs just cram all the high res textures straight into games. Textures literally take 3/4 of game size these days and big industry players really need to address this, because we're reaching ridiculous size levels. And this is a dual issue that needs to be addressed on both ends, cold storage as games are being delivered and also rendering, because textures always get dumped into graphic card memory in uncompressed form. Lets just say that's absurdly inefficient. I know that's how we've done it for almost decades now because GPU needs raw image to process, but I'm pretty sure GPU's could be made able to process different texture formats that are optimized and not just raw uncompressed data.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

I had that exact same thing happen to me with Doom 2016 on Steam.

EB Games had the game cheaper than Valve or any other online e-tailer, so thought might be able to grab the game physically even if it took a BD-ROM to store the bulk of the game... Hello~ trying to download 65 fucking gigs of game on 8032 kbps ADSL thanks to an ancient Hellstra phone exchange not touched since Ronald Reagan was the US President!

And no, I don't have the quarter-mil of cash needed to buy and move in to a crappy 2-bed/1-bath Federation-era house in the nearby city of Wagga just to upgrade from fucking ADSL and get fucking NBN.

17 hours ago, Levent said:

for a game of that magnitude I see nothing wrong with 100gigs, I download around 500gigs just watching youtube on my phone. More the better if you ask me.

Fucking what??? I consume a crapload of youtube on my phone and im nowhere near 100gig never mind 5 times that. Wth do you watch it in? 16k ? jesus....

14 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

GTA IV was ~15 GB iirc, and GTA V was like 65 GB.  It's not at all surprising we're up to this size by now and I'm not too concerned about the size.  It's not like you're going to need to keep 10+ games of this size installed at all times.  Personally I'm more interested in just seeing it exist this time.  I kept hearing about the last one but it never materialized.  Let's hope this isn't a repeat...

Seeing what exist?  The original RedDead ? It very much existed unless i dreamt playing it for hrs on end ....

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

That's 1/10 of Comcast monthly data cap. You better not have siblings that want the game also.

ahh data caps, how archaic ? 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me, paid a premium price to try and dodge the massive download and still got fucked in the process lol

5 hours ago, Noctus said:

Fucking what??? I consume a crapload of youtube on my phone and im nowhere near 100gig never mind 5 times that. Wth do you watch it in? 16k ? jesus....

Seeing what exist?  The original RedDead ? It very much existed unless i dreamt playing it for hrs on end ....

ahh data caps, how archaic ? 

if available 1440p, if not 1080p60. I dont even watch that much, around 11-12 hours monthly. Videos stream in higher bitrate if your bandwidth can handle.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

See, for most people this isn't a problem.

However, where I live, this would literally take over two weeks straight of download, assuming my download speed doesn't go below its max, and that no one else does anything on the internet. If the content matches that space then great! Its worth it. If however it's like Hunt Down the Freeman dear God why do I remember this game where its just highly unoptimized, then no its really stupid.

However, for the internet speed argument, it really sucks for people like me who live out in the middle of nowhere and have to use 10 Mbps to download everything, and that's assuming that others don't want to do anything. I dunno, I just don't like games being huge if I can't take advantage of them being so big. Not directly blaming Rockstar for the internet speed thing, that's just the ISP.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

23 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

I bet the french people in charge of decimalising time are rolling in their graves a bit harder

i like this

23 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I think the implication is 2/10 of an hour; 12 minutes.

nah i think it's based on an actual computation. see below

Spoiler

1763665513_dlspeed.PNG.5af7e80abff8330259087178c530ec51.PNG

it's more on the 2.33 side of things. anyway no big deal.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Just now, YoloSwag said:

i like this

nah i think it's based on an actual computation. see below

Reveal hidden contents

1763665513_dlspeed.PNG.5af7e80abff8330259087178c530ec51.PNG

it's more on the 2.33 side of things. anyway no big deal.

Well that's confusing.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.