Seagate launches 14TB barracuda pro hard drive

Seagate just released a 14TB drive under their barracuda pro brand .It seems they're stretching PMR+helium tech to the limit until HAMR drives start hitting the market .

But with a 580$ MSRP , this drive ends up being around 0.04$ per GB . Not great when compared to other drives ( their own 2TB drive is about 0.03$ per GB on PcPP atm) , but it's actually quite impressive on such a large drive .

The exponential increase in data storage requirements over the last decade or so has been handled by regular increases in hard drive capacities. Multiple HDD vendors supply them to cloud providers (who get the main benefits from advancements in hard drive technologies), but, Seagate is the only one to also focus on the home consumer / prosumer market. In the last three generations, we have seen that Seagate has been the first to target the desktop storage market with their highest capacity drives. The 10 TB BarraCuda Pro was released in Q3 2016, and the 12 TB version in Q4 2017. Seagate is launching the 14 TB version today.

carousel2_678x452.jpg.1b2c0720d8e1ee16bad895273a59134a.jpg

The Seagate BarraCuda Pro 14TB is a 7200RPM SATAIII (6 Gbps) hard drive with a 256MB multi-segmented DRAM cache. It features eight PMR platters with a 1077 Gb/in2 areal density in a sealed enclosure filled with helium. The main change compared to the 12TB version introduced last year is the usage of two-dimensional magnetic recording (TDMR) heads, allowing for higher areal density (1077 Gb/in2 vs. 923 Gb/in2 without TDMR). If you are curious about how TDMR enables this, we have a brief explanation towards the end of this review.

According to Seagate, the 14TB BarraCuda Pro typically draws around 6.9W, making it one of the most power efficient high-capacity 3.5" hard drives in the market. It targets creative professionals with high-performance desktops, home servers and/or direct-attached storage units. It is meant for 24x7 usage (unlike traditional desktop-class hard drives) and carries a workload rating of 300TB/year, backed by a 5-year warranty. The drive also comes with a bundled data-recovery service (available for 2 years from date of purchase).

With the launch of the 14TB BarraCuda Pro, Seagate has also updated the model numbers for the other capacities in the series. While performance numbers remain relatively unchanged, capacities 10TB and up come in at 690g, while the 8TB is at 650g. The 6TB, however, is at 780g, pointing to different number of platters for different capacities, and even non-helium technology for the smaller ones.

source : https://www.anandtech.com/show/13340/seagate-barracuda-pro-14tb-hdd-review

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Seagate just released a 14TB drive under their barracuda pro brand .

My cousin's new wife's dad is a mechanical engineer for Seagate, and I got talking to him about hard drives. He told me they're working on 25tb and 50tb hard drives, no mention of timeline or if they'll be specifically enterprise drives (we had discussed how multiple drives crammed together actually becomes a weight issue for big data servers)

I know that "dad of a wife of a cousin" source thing seems sketchy as hell, but it should come to no surprise to anyone at this point. Hard drives are here to stay for the foreseeable future, if not for the Consumer space, the enterprise.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

My cousin's new wife's dad is a mechanical engineer for Seagate, and I got talking to him about hard drives. He told me they're working on 25tb and 50tb hard drives, no mention of timeline or if they'll be specifically enterprise drives (we had discussed how multiple drives crammed together actually becomes a weight issue for big data servers)

I know that "dad of a wife of a cousin" source thing seems sketchy as hell, but it should come to no surprise to anyone at this point. Hard drives are here to stay for the foreseeable future, if not for the Consumer space, the enterprise.

Right now the main limiting factor is the way we lay out the data on the platters. With tech such as HAMR and HDMR we could see dramatic increases in density . It's just not ready yet ™ .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

HDDs will be around for a long while. They used to say tape would die and become pointless, however it is still used to this day. They all have their use cases and scenarios that they work best in.

Side note: I second how the cramming HDDs can become an issue. I've seen a buisness shove a full rack of HDDs in a wood floor joist building and they wondered why the floors were bowing and giving way (they didn't come off as caring though).

interesting that this is a barracuda drive and not a enterprise grade drive.

what *normal* user needs this much storage in a single drive? what on earth would you be storing?

I have like 250 movies, some other videos, and a ton of music on a NAS and I barely crack 2.5TB's lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

what *normal* user needs this much storage in a single drive? what on earth would you be storing?

I have like 250 movies, some other videos, and a ton of music on a NAS and I barely crack 2.5TB's lol

At that price point I seriously doubt the normal user would be interested...

However I would imagine use case for a drive like that in the consumer market would be media storage. Raw content takes up a lot of room. Especially now a days where some decent cameras can be fairly affordable.

The rule I go by is fewer hard drives at higher capacity. More power efficient and more room to grow if you take up less bays in your NAS...it usually works out better to get bigger hard drives than to upgrade to a bigger NAS anyway.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Razor Blade said:

At that price point I seriously doubt the normal user would be interested...

However I would imagine use case for a drive like that in the consumer market would be media storage. Raw content takes up a lot of room. Especially now a days where some decent cameras can be fairly affordable.

The rule I go by is fewer hard drives at higher capacity. More power efficient and more room to grow if you take up less bays in your NAS...it usually works out better to get bigger hard drives than to upgrade to a bigger NAS anyway.

I like that idea. The one problem with it tho is you still got to move data from your old nas to the new hard drives... somehow?

Which basically means you have to get a new NAS... unless you can like rent one to facilitate the transfer or something

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Time to get my digital horde on! /punintended

For a while now I've stuck to a plan of replacing my mechanical disks about every 5 years or when capacity doubles at the same price point from my current drives. We're no longer doubling capacity in less than 5 years :(

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I like that idea. The one problem with it tho is you still got to move data from your old nas to the new hard drives... somehow?

Which basically means you have to get a new NAS...

Nah you can migrate data over without starting over. There are several ways you can go about it. Really depends on what NAS you have which would dictate the best way.

Though the drive posted about isn't a "NAS" drive...so maybe it isn't the best use case.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Nah you can migrate data over without starting over. There are several ways you can go about it. Really depends on what NAS you have which would dictate the best way.

a bit off topic but im interested.

If I wanted to upgrade the 4 2TB (RAID 5) drives in my seagate 4-bay "business" NAS .... how would I do that? lol

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

a bit off topic but im interested.

If I wanted to upgrade the 4 2TB (RAID 5) drives in my seagate 4-bay "business" NAS .... how would I do that? lol

Not that familiar with that NAS. With 2.5 TB of data, the fastest and easiest way would probably be to backup the data and replace the drives all at once noting what drive came from what bay, then copy the data back over from the external drive. If things go awry you could go back to your old drives and import the array again.

Another way some people do is to replace drives one at a time and let the array rebuild. It will stress the drives though so I would not suggest it if your old drives aren't in the best of shape.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

How long would it take to rebuild an array if you had several of these in it?  As far as a domestic users goes I am reminded of not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

56 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It may be easier to produce consumer parts first, observe the behaviour of the drives and ensure that any minor issues are fixed when it comes to releasing the enterprise version. Most of the time enterprise grade disks are simply binned versions of the normal drives with more features activated (WD uses the same disks for Reds and White label disks most of the time).

If you have system images of a number of computers, millions of lossless images or a requirement to keep documents around for decades a 10TB disk can fill up pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

How long would it take to rebuild an array if you had several of these in it?  As far as a domestic users goes I am reminded of not putting all your eggs in one basket.

My RAID 6 takes a hour to rebuild 0.9-1.2TB, so I'm going to guess that as long as this is the slowest part it'll take about 12 hours. I'm not taking its density, controller, or spin into account. I'll leave that for @seagate_surfer.

Spoiler

Just don't tell him I'm using Western Digital drives. :ph34r:

Spoiler

I did add a 4TB B.Pro to my NAS a few months ago. Great drive so far, replaced my WD Concorde Gold.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

with that many movies and stuff it seems like you got low quality files, i got less then half that amount of movies but im at 5TB because much of it is 4k.

At an average of 100MB/s this would take 39 hours to fill. Probably not a problem for a consumer who uses it in a media server, but in the enterprise you don't always have 40 hours to wait for a disk to be rebuilt from parity or cloned... not to mention the stress you'd be putting on both it and the other drive(s). HDDs are just too slow to be useful in such huge capacities, if you don't care about speed there are much larger tape drives and if you care at all you shouldn't be using a large hdd.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Amazing capacity for consumers. I currently have 4TB of HDD storage and is near full, will need to expand eventually. Maybe more like 8TB or 10TB though. I'll see. Top of the line is always expensive. 

Also SSDs will come with larger capacities like this and lower price in time, while HDDs in dozens of TBs capacity. Always fun to see storage tech advancement. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

Yeah, the only use I can see this for in "consumer" is a scratch built cache or CCTV store, and even then, at 14TB, and 40 hours write time, I'd want at least 2 for perfect drive failure replacement! (Don't want that £500k bill and theft loosing the CCTV of the getaway car because the drive fails when copying over the content! xD )

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

At an average of 100MB/s this would take 39 hours to fill. Probably not a problem for a consumer who uses it in a media server, but in the enterprise you don't always have 40 hours to wait for a disk to be rebuilt from parity or cloned... not to mention the stress you'd be putting on both it and the other drive(s). HDDs are just too slow to be useful in such huge capacities, if you don't care about speed there are much larger tape drives and if you care at all you shouldn't be using a large hdd.

The bigger the capacity, the faster the disk usually. My old 1tb hdd was 100mb/s, then i got a 4tb drive, that was 150mb/s, and now my current 8tb hdd is 250mb/s, so pretty good.

I would hope that the 14tb hdd is 300-350mb/s.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I'm just wondering how any consumer would ever use that besides for enterprise. I only have 1Tb on my laptop and I have trouble filling it up, even with games and all.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I don't care, this is the next two hours of my life nao

Well i heard only a few sec but now i need something to clean out that junk from my ears: