Apple HAS NOT made it to a trillion! Whoops

Jtalk4456
2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm beginning to question the legitimacy of this news...

So far nobody else has reported this to be true, all the major news outlets still have live stories about Apple being worth $1T and many news outlets have since ran follow up stories on how Apple have achieved the feat. Heck even Apples own news post is still live.

Beginning to think this is a fake news story picked up by a major outlet and ran in error.

The story is true. It's just that the stock price continued to rise so it hit 1 trillion soon after.

Im seeing their high as 208.38 soooo they def hit it...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm beginning to question the legitimacy of this news...

So far nobody else has reported this to be true, all the major news outlets still have live stories about Apple being worth $1T and many news outlets have since ran follow up stories on how Apple have achieved the feat. Heck even Apples own news post is still live.

Beginning to think this is a fake news story picked up by a major outlet and ran in error.

i'm wondering the same myself. I grabbed it early, so i thought news just hadn't caught up yet, but i'm still not seeing the reports. At the same time it does make sense. IF they really bought some of their stock back, then according to what i'm understanding from above, they have to hit higher, something like 211/share to reach 1T. Right now they are at 208, so not quite.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

6 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

i'm wondering the same myself. I grabbed it early, so i thought news just hadn't caught up yet, but i'm still not seeing the reports. At the same time it does make sense. IF they really bought some of their stock back, then according to what i'm understanding from above, they have to hit higher, something like 211/share to reach 1T. Right now they are at 208, so not quite.

Just to be clear, I don't suspect any malice on your part, it was a believable story from a legitimate source.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Im seeing their high as 208.38 soooo they def hit it...

Yeah but not when they first said they hit it.

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Just to be clear, I don't suspect any malice on your part, it was a believable story from a legitimate source.

It was a correct story too.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/apple-1-trillion-market-cap-1202892070/

Apple’s stock hit a high of $207.05 per share in trading just before noon ET, putting it at the $1 trillion mark. That came after a 5.9% surge a day earlier. Shares vacillated around that threshold, and were trading at $207.52 per share as of 1:45 p.m. ET (up 3% on the day), meaning the company was just over the trillion-dollar point. Apple shares closed Thursday at $207.39 (+2.9%), yielding a market cap of $1.002 trillion.

Earlier Thursday morning, Apple’s own Stocks app (which uses data from Yahoo Finance) incorrectly reported that the company’s market cap was over $1 trillion because it didn’t factor in the reduction in shares outstanding after Apple’s $100 billion stock buyback announced on Tuesday (July 31).

How pissed would you be if you were an apple fanboy and their stock nose dived right before 1T and amazon took the prize?

EDIT: or worse. MS on the back of a surge in surface sales.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

How pissed would you be if you were an apple fanboy and their stock nose dived right before 1T and amazon took the prize?

EDIT: or worse. MS on the back of a surge in surface sales.

I’ll find out soon and report back next quarter.

22 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I’ll find out soon and report back next quarter.

I see there were no last minute rushes to buy the surface in inordinate quantities, apple has definitely crossed the finish line.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

so i'm finally on the docket for the wan show, but they didn't actually get to my news...

Image result for fuuuuu

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

so i'm finally on the docket for the wan show, but they didn't actually get to my news...

Image result for fuuuuu

Sorry! 

We've kinda been experimenting with making the wan show more about chit chat and guests and less about news items over the last little while. So far audience reception to this concept has been quite good. 

But we still have the news items list just in case we run out of steam or need some inspiration. 

On 8/2/2018 at 12:52 PM, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

They almost make it to the trill, the news is all over trumping it around, they buy a little so it goes down, next week almost make it to the trill, the news is all over trumping it around, free publicity for the lolz

stock buyback is done due to excess cash flows and high projections of future stock price. Apple would rather grow its value of internally held cash and liquid assets than just total Market cap. Plus, holding more shares in the company decreases the number of votes that investors get in corporate decisions so that gives them more autonomy in future decision making. From their perspective, hitting 1 trillion is more of a probability than an achievement in the short term so they'd rather focus on operational benefit than just hitting a big number.

9 hours ago, IridiumSeeker said:

. From their perspective, hitting 1 trillion is more of a probability than an achievement in the short term so they'd rather focus on operational benefit than just hitting a big number.

Hitting 1T is probably not even a thing they care about, I  mean there are many ways to measure a companies growth, some a lot more meaningful. It probably means more to  us from an interest point of view than anything. 

10 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We've kinda been experimenting with making the wan show more about chit chat and guests and less about news items over the last little while. So far audience reception to this concept has been quite good. 

But we still have the news items list just in case we run out of steam or need some inspiration. 

i'd say do both, these interesting conversations come when you are talking about a topic and then deviate from it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Why is 1 trillion such a big achievement anyway?

Its just a number, and a different number depending on what currency you use...

In other news, I sold my old laptop for the equivalent of 161,600 Congolese Franc

...which is only about 100 USD

11 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

In other news, I sold my old laptop for the equivalent of 161,600 Congolese Franc

How cow, that's 16,874,472.55 Venezuelan Bolívar!

Not to mention if you factor in inflation of some of the old companies like pre-divestiture AT&T.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Depends on how you value something and what metrics are important.  If apple were a country it would rank 30th in the top 100.

Looking at the context, even if Apple reaches or surpasses a $1 Trillion, it won't say that they are the best company in the world for there are many competitors that can easily take advantage on it. Also in my opinion, before they spread a rumor about this trillion dollar issues it is best to do it quietly then after that they can disclose it to the public. 

18 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Sorry! 

No Worries, just having fun with memes. I was just happy to even be on the docket. Plus I honestly like the rambling chit chat as much as the tech news. and if I really need the news, you've got tech linked for that. 

To celebrate this milestone apple have decided to release a limited edition iBadge that has all the features and looks of a regular badge but with 200% Apple Tax

9 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

So the topic headliner changing any time soon

Headlines in this section generally do not get updated. That includes the topics you create.