Apple HAS NOT made it to a trillion! Whoops

Jtalk4456

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/apple-stock-price-share-trillion-dollar-latest-update-a8474726.html

TL:DR a stupid mistake caused the apple stocks app to show an incorrect value, placing apple above a trillion when they're not quite there yet

The firm has been hovering around the $1 trillion mark for some time, and breaking through would represent a major milestone. But the company falsely claimed to have already broken through it, because of a technical fault with the app built into the iPhone.

After it announced its better-than-expected results this week, Apple also bought back some of its shares. That meant that the stock price needed to push through the record went up – from around $204 to $207.

So basically, them taking back some stock means they had to push a bit further to get to a trillion. I don't understand stocks and economics but whatever...

But that update wasn't added to Apple's own Stocks app. That meant that a small surge in Apple's shares showed the company as being worth $1 trillion – even though it isn't.

It led to reports, including briefly on The Independent, that suggested Apple had finally beaten the milestone.

The share price data on the iPhone is provided by Yahoo Finance and pulls through not only on the app – which comes bundled with the phone – but also into Siri. That means that if you ask Siri for the current value of Apple's whole stock, it will tell you the wrong answer: $1.011 trillion at the time of publication.

*Facepalms*

So essentially they didn't update their own app. A tech GIANT (like them or not) didn't update their own app and caused everyone to think they were valued higher than they are. This should surprise me more, but stupidity seems to be rampant in this day and age. 

The problem happened because Apple's substantial share buyback programme – which allows it to give money back to investors – meant that some of its shares were destroyed. That took them out of circulation and meant that the total number of shares in issue went down, increasing the value the share price had to reach before it pushed the company over $1 trillion.

A company's market capitalisation or value is worked out by multiplying its share price by the number of shares that are in issue. Since there are now fewer shares, the price required to make Apple worth a trillion dollars is higher.

Apple's shares are worth $205.18, after a rise of $3.73 on Thursday morning, according to the company's own Stocks app. They need to reach $207.05 before they push through the all-important valuation.

I'm sure they'll hit it, but this whole incident will set them back temporarily. not much else to say here

Edit: Added another news article. Most big sites haven't found out or made a article yet

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/02/apples-market-capitalization-is-not-1-trillion----yet

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, Froody129 said:

Lmao. By tomorrow this will be outdated anyway as they hit it again :P 

And then we'll make another thread about that! :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Previous thread -> Apple has done it, they're worth $1T!

Now -> Apple hasn't made it to $1T

Later -> Apple's made it to $1T! This time's legit!

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

And then we'll make another thread about that! :D

Seems like a great time to reputation whore be alive!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hitting 1 trillion is unavoidable, but interesting to see what caused it, lol. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Whew! What a relief, I thought I missed the bus. Gotta get over to gofundme and start a campaign quick!

Help make Apple the youngest trillionaire ever! All funds to to buying Apple stocks which directly puts your money into this amazing goal of making Apple a trillionaire! Be a part of this historic event now!

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

22 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

So basically, them taking back some stock means they had to push a bit further to get to a trillion. I don't understand stocks and economics but whatever...

Because they bought some stock back, less of it was available. For example, say there are 100 shares, worth $100 each. That puts the value at $10,000. If they buy back 10 of those shares, then there are 90 shares available, worth $100 each, for $9,000. This means the 90 shares would have to get to $111.11 (repeating, of course) to reach $10,000 again.

Honestly, this is why people are upset they are worth so much.

They are "worth" a trillion, but can't even manage to make a stock app work right. Actually, an epic fail and should be a meme. ;-)

1 hour ago, DimasRMDO said:

Even later - Apple hasn't made it to $1T, actually went down slightly.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

51 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

Because they bought some stock back, less of it was available. For example, say there are 100 shares, worth $100 each. That puts the value at $10,000. If they buy back 10 of those shares, then there are 90 shares available, worth $100 each, for $9,000. This means the 90 shares would have to get to $111.11 (repeating, of course) to reach $10,000 again.

thanks for the info. What i still don't get is why they bought stock back and effectively devalued themselves, especially given all the news of how close they are

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Looking at the closing numbers they seem to be at 1 trillion now.

*makes another topic* :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

32 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

thanks for the info. What i still don't get is why they bought stock back and effectively devalued themselves, especially given all the news of how close they are

A stock buyback doesn't devalue the company. There are fewer shares but a higher price per share, with the overall market cap remaining about the same.

It does reduce the company's equity, which can be beneficial if it has a lot of cash on hand and is in a dominant market position; it reduces the cost of equity. Basically the company is paying to have its cash, and if a lot of it is sitting unused they're better off using some of it to buy back shares.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

A stock buyback doesn't devalue the company. There are fewer shares but a higher price per share, with the overall market cap remaining about the same.

It does reduce the company's equity, which can be beneficial if it has a lot of cash on hand and is in a dominant market position; it reduces the cost of equity. Basically the company is paying to have its cash, and if a lot of it is sitting unused they're better off using some of it to buy back shares.

but the whole point of this topic is that the buyback lowered their market value, which is why they really aren't at 1 trillion. Are you saying that's wrong and they ARE above 1 trillion?

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

but the whole point of this topic is that the buyback lowered their market value, which is why they really aren't at 1 trillion. Are you saying that's wrong and they ARE above 1 trillion?

The buyback did not lower their market value.

The app mistakenly thought the buyback increased their market value.

Just now, Sakkura said:

The buyback did not lower their market value.

The app mistakenly thought the buyback increased their market value.

This is why I'm not a stock broker. That makes no sense to me, but thanks for trying to explain it xD

2 hours ago, DimasRMDO said:

Actually the past thread was Apple nearly hitting a trillion. Nothing to say it did.

4 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

This is why I'm not a stock broker. That makes no sense to me, but thanks for trying to explain it xD

Imagine a company that has 10 outstanding shares worth $10 each. That company has a market value of $100.

Then the company uses $10 of its money to buy back one share. The share price increases to $11.11 with 9 shares outstanding, with the market value remaining at $100.

But if an app is looking at the share price and doesn't know the number of shares dropped from 10 to 9, it would think the market value just increased from $100 to $111.11.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Imagine a company that has 10 outstanding shares worth $10 each. That company has a market value of $100.

Then the company uses $10 of its money to buy back one share. The share price increases to $11.11 with 9 shares outstanding, with the market value remaining at $100.

But if an app is looking at the share price and doesn't know the number of shares dropped from 10 to 9, it would think the market value just increased from $100 to $111.11.

ok i see the math you're using, not sure i understand why the price per share increases just from the company buying back a share, though

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

ok i see the math you're using, not sure i understand why the price per share increases just from the company buying back a share, though

You can look at that a few different ways. Supply and demand, for example. If you reduce the supply (fewer shares available), the price goes up.

Or you can look at it as each share owning some (tiny) percentage of the company and receiving the same percentage of the money when the company pays dividends. When there are fewer shares, each shareholder will own a larger percentage of the company and get a larger percentage of the dividends, making the share more valuable.

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You can look at that a few different ways. Supply and demand, for example. If you reduce the supply (fewer shares available), the price goes up.

Or you can look at it as each share owning some (tiny) percentage of the company and receiving the same percentage of the money when the company pays dividends. When there are fewer shares, each shareholder will own a larger percentage of the company and get a larger percentage of the dividends, making the share more valuable.

ok that makes sense. Thanks for the help!

I'm beginning to question the legitimacy of this news...

So far nobody else has reported this to be true, all the major news outlets still have live stories about Apple being worth $1T and many news outlets have since ran follow up stories on how Apple have achieved the feat. Heck even Apples own news post is still live.

Beginning to think this is a fake news story picked up by a major outlet and ran in error.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Is this gonna be like the Jenner woman where people will set up a gofundme page to get them to a trillion? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

18 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

But the company falsely claimed to have already broken through it, because of a technical fault with the app built into the iPhone.

So apple hit 1 Trillion was a mistake of the Iphone? This sums apple.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Everywhere I look it seems like apple has indeed reached 1trillion. They needed to close at 207.39 to be worth that.

@Jtalk4456

fTPFGdU.png

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX