PC does not boot, RAM lights up and GPU fan stops after a few seconds

Hey all, first post here.

I recently had to buy a brand new motherboard after a power surge took out both the PSU and motherboard (had a spare PSU lying around) and everything started up fine on a test bench and booted up windows no problem. But after putting it back into my case and ensuring every cable is plugged it, it no longer wants to boot. Even taking it out and sitting it back onto my motherboard doesn't change anything. 

I am clueless as to what could be the issue. Resitting the RAM, taking out CMOS and changing between video cables are all I have tried, and to no prevail. 

PC specs follow: 

Ryzen 5 5600X

ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Stock Cooler (have tested with Corsair h150 360mm, no change)

Corsair VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200MHZ

Two Samsung M.2 SSDs (one is a boot drive)

Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite AX Motherboard

MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5

15 minutes ago, BifrostCrow said:

Hey all, first post here.

I recently had to buy a brand new motherboard after a power surge took out both the PSU and motherboard (had a spare PSU lying around) and everything started up fine on a test bench and booted up windows no problem. But after putting it back into my case and ensuring every cable is plugged it, it no longer wants to boot. Even taking it out and sitting it back onto my motherboard doesn't change anything. 

I am clueless as to what could be the issue. Resitting the RAM, taking out CMOS and changing between video cables are all I have tried, and to no prevail. 

PC specs follow: 

Ryzen 5 5600X

ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Stock Cooler (have tested with Corsair h150 360mm, no change)

Corsair VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200MHZ

Two Samsung M.2 SSDs (one is a boot drive)

Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite AX Motherboard

MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5

Make sure all power cables is seated, ram is in slot a2 b2 and is connected properly. You can try taking CMOS battery out for 5 min. Make sure the motherboard is not touching the case and standoffs is in place. If clearing CMOS by shorting the two pins, make sure PSU is connected and turned on. (yes this is normal for AM4, at least for gigabyte, check manual for reference).

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

27 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Make sure all power cables is seated, ram is in slot a2 b2 and is connected properly. You can try taking CMOS battery out for 5 min. Make sure the motherboard is not touching the case and standoffs is in place. If clearing CMOS by shorting the two pins, make sure PSU is connected and turned on. (yes this is normal for AM4, at least for gigabyte, check manual for reference).

RAM are seated in those positions. I have taken out the CMOS battery before for 5-10 minutes and no difference. PSU is connected (as well as all the cables) and powered on. And I have just tried shorting the two pins for CMOS (turned off the PSU beforehand), but now it won't turn on, even if the RAM lights are on

tripple check the cables are pushed in correctly, every time i do a clean on mine i sometimes don't push a few in place all the way as the (feel like they are) but in fact they are not. As the PSU being in the case already makes it some what kind hard to see. How ever how old & make model of the PSU you got ?

Any mods on the case?, like a back plate for the cpu ive heard a few things about some acting pc's up a bit. check all things are also seated. Gpu re seat it as well can't hurt to do this. & re seat the ram check the Ram pins thingy's on the stick are flat & not looking abnormal. Hope this can help if not im not sure. Hope you get it going.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

20 minutes ago, loony979 said:

tripple check the cables are pushed in correctly, every time i do a clean on mine i sometimes don't push a few in place all the way as the (feel like they are) but in fact they are not. As the PSU being in the case already makes it some what kind hard to see. How ever how old & make model of the PSU you got ?

Any mods on the case?, like a back plate for the cpu ive heard a few things about some acting pc's up a bit. check all things are also seated. Gpu re seat it as well can't hurt to do this. & re seat the ram check the Ram pins thingy's on the stick are flat & not looking abnormal. Hope this can help if not im not sure. Hope you get it going.

Currently testing on the motherboard box.

Ram seems perfectly fine, and they're getting power considering the RGB is active. And every cable is plugged in and connected properly. I tried having the backplate off and keep the air cooler on, still nothing.

I've listed the spec of the PSU, but it is the MSI Mag A750GL PCIE5. I'm assuming this is the newest model.

It's weird that it went from powering on but not booting, despite fans and RGB lighting up, to no longer powering on despite the RGB on the ram still lighting up.

Well that PSU is new so can't be that or shouldn't be Hopefully. It's powering on the MOBO & you can see rgb going about doing it's thing so. Only thing i can suggest is download the newest version BIOS (Not a Beta Version) put it in a USB & flash that sucker. Check MOBO's Hand Book for where to put that usb on the back I/O it actually should be labeled on that USB port. Tho it's the only thing i can think of from here. Other then this i havn't got any more. Unless get a factory BIOS install that then update the Bios. Using the USB method as i said b4. Before you do that tho clear Bios tho i think you said you did just this.

This particular scenario would cheese me of all day lol. Lets hope some 1 can suggest a better idea 1st tho. So wait on this.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

@BifrostCrow It sounds like, to me anyway, that you stuck the new psu's housing, the PSU itself, into the case and plugged in the already ran wires from the previous broken one. When nothing was working and you pulled the build out of the case, you used the wires that came with the new PSU and of course it worked cause those are the correct wires for that unit. So then, of course, you saw everything works and put the pc parts back in the case with the old wires again and got the pc not working result again. If you mix and match wires from different types of psu's, if youre lucky, they just wont power the psu that they DONT belong with. If unlucky, they power it wrong and take it out with other components also. Could this be the issue you are running into?

1 hour ago, loony979 said:

Well that PSU is new so can't be that or shouldn't be Hopefully. It's powering on the MOBO & you can see rgb going about doing it's thing so. Only thing i can suggest is download the newest version BIOS (Not a Beta Version) put it in a USB & flash that sucker. Check MOBO's Hand Book for where to put that usb on the back I/O it actually should be labeled on that USB port. Tho it's the only thing i can think of from here. Other then this i havn't got any more. Unless get a factory BIOS install that then update the Bios. Using the USB method as i said b4. Before you do that tho clear Bios tho i think you said you did just this.

This particular scenario would cheese me of all day lol. Lets hope some 1 can suggest a better idea 1st tho. So wait on this.

That was my recent attempt, clearing the BIOS and installing the latest BIOS version. It did it's thing and I assumed it completed updating. But that's when it started to no longer turn on, but it'd still receive power. So I'm worried that somehow the latest stable version bricked the motherboard (which feels unlikely but there isn't much to go off on), and I wouldn't know how to completely remedy it. Not even clearing and updating again would work, as the q-flash LED no longer turns on

1 hour ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

@BifrostCrow It sounds like, to me anyway, that you stuck the new psu's housing, the PSU itself, into the case and plugged in the already ran wires from the previous broken one. When nothing was working and you pulled the build out of the case, you used the wires that came with the new PSU and of course it worked cause those are the correct wires for that unit. So then, of course, you saw everything works and put the pc parts back in the case with the old wires again and got the pc not working result again. If you mix and match wires from different types of psu's, if youre lucky, they just wont power the psu that they DONT belong with. If unlucky, they power it wrong and take it out with other components also. Could this be the issue you are running into?

I am using the cables that came with the spare PSU to eliminate any chances of the old cables bricking the motherboard incase they got fried too. Although I did swap the CPU cable during troubleshooting and it made no difference

Ok, yyou could be right that the bios bricked. The bios file you downloaded may have been downloaded badly, downloaded the wrong one or updating the bios the qflash way may have ruined the install of it, which many people have seen happen. Usually if it was just a bios setup/parameters issue the board would do a double pump and on second boot ask you to go setup the bios or continue with defaults, so it has to be a hardware issue somewhere or the bios file. Do you have a multi bios switch on that board? If so try one.

Another thing you could check is if the GPU was fried from the power surge and you got one last run out of it before it died. If you happen to have a spare GPU, try with that. Are the GPU fans spinning? Are there MOBO indicator lights? If there are, check your manual to see what they mean. Most have a CPU, DRAM, VGA, and Boot lights. 

1 hour ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

Ok, yyou could be right that the bios bricked. The bios file you downloaded may have been downloaded badly, downloaded the wrong one or updating the bios the qflash way may have ruined the install of it, which many people have seen happen. Usually if it was just a bios setup/parameters issue the board would do a double pump and on second boot ask you to go setup the bios or continue with defaults, so it has to be a hardware issue somewhere or the bios file. Do you have a multi bios switch on that board? If so try one.

That does seem likely 

9 hours ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

I don't think my motherboard supports multi-bios, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to completely clear it and install a fresh bios again.

8 hours ago, Capt_Monk said:

Another thing you could check is if the GPU was fried from the power surge and you got one last run out of it before it died. If you happen to have a spare GPU, try with that. Are the GPU fans spinning? Are there MOBO indicator lights? If there are, check your manual to see what they mean. Most have a CPU, DRAM, VGA, and Boot lights. 

Beforehand the GPU did display well, when I attempted to troubleshoot, it would still light up and fans would spin for a few seconds, then would wind down. It does seem like my monitor is detecting the GPU output but nothing would boot to the display.

But now the entire PC isn't turning on despite the RAM RGB