Iphone X is the best selling smartphone in the world!

24 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Schrodinger's thought experiment stipulates both researchers are true until the box is opened when one becomes true.  Guessing or average doesn't help.  Which means until apple open the box (or another way is found to open the box), then no one can argue if it's true or not because it is both true and not rue at the same time.

Does the experiment account for probability? In the original description the chances are equal for the cat being alive or dead at the end. You could extend this to say that the cat is both alive and dead while in the box and having a 50% of being alive at the end. My description was that we can guess the end outcome by observing the outcome of test boxes or analysis on the box design, leading to better predictions on the end state. In this case if 100 people analyse the iPhone sales box and 80 say that the sales were poor if one had to bet on the outcome of the box one would then bet that they were poor.

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Does the experiment account for probability? In the original description the chances are equal for the cat being alive or dead at the end. You could extend this to say that the cat is both alive and dead while in the box and having a 50% of being alive at the end. My description was that we can guess the end outcome by observing the outcome of test boxes or analysis on the box design, leading to better predictions on the end state. In this case if 100 people analyse the iPhone sales box and 80 say that the sales were poor if one had to bet on the outcome of the box one would then bet that they were poor.

Ahh,  yes, that is the issue many people have with Schrödinger's experiment.  It is not about probability, the cat is both 100% dead and 100% alive.  Of all the academics that got involved at the time only a few (including Einstein) actually understood the problem.   We do now due too their insite and explanations of course. 

You are right, if 80% of researchers point to sales being X and 20% claim it is lower then the probability is that sales will be closer to X.  Although no guarantees because Every now and then you see one scientist come out and make a claim, get laughed out of his job by everyone,  then 2 years later he turns out to be right.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I just dont understand why someone would move from an iphone 7/6s to the X.

We might be at a point where all phones from the past half decade or so are good enough for most people, but that doesn't mean there aren't changes in each generation that make an upgrade worthwhile.

Personally I like having something new (and that's certainly not out of the norm for this forum where quite a few people upgrade with every generation), so if I could rationalize it then I would upgrade yearly. But I did upgrade from the 6s plus to the X but for a different reason -- primarily it was about the X being much more comfortable to hold due to being a reasonable size, the gesture is interaction, and face id (or more specifically not having to move my finger off the fingerprint scanner to interact with something from the lock screen, which has been annoying since 3D touch came into the picture).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm actually surprised, don't see many out in the wild. Though I do see a lot of 7s, 8s, and even 6+s still. 

Apple are pretty good at supporting the older models. Most of their devices will get 4 or so major software releases.

Compare to my S7 Edge: Came with 6, got 7 and getting 8. And that's it (There's no way it's getting 9, even 8.1 seems like a long shot)

Where as an iPhone 5S: Came with 7, got 8,9,10 and 11. Even if it doesn't get 12, that's a mighty support cycle.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

iphone's are overpriced. Not say there aren't overpriced Androids, but you can get a decent android for cheap

android OS is garbage.

Apple can sell a lot of X's but Samsung has a bigger market share.

Android OS has like 80%+ of marketshare

Iphone's are more than anything a status symbol, not to say they aren't good, but hey mostly that

Android are for cheap bastards, and people that for some reason don't like a phone with a good OS xD

Ok everyone can now move on, nothing to see...

PS: Good for Apple, there's one born every day i've heard:D

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

let me be clear: I agree with you.

the logo on the front isn't for the owner, it's just to let everybody around you know that you have a porsche design device. that's it. literally.

i guess? i listed specs above anyway, of the extra you get. But you are paying the "Porsche name" with a big chunck of money. If it was an upgraded P20Pro (p20....elite?), then it would probably sit ~1000 euros or a bit more, so it's easily 400 euros that goes into the "porsche" branding. Like on the mate 10 porsche edition. Different body, same specs, double the price. Which is normal, really. "Luxury" has always been like this.

the most important is being happy of your purchase though. If you're going to spend 1550 euros to show off your wealth, I'm sorry but that's dumb. And i'm happy with it so that's what matters to me. It would be interesting to see what other mate rs owners say, but knowing where most of the porsche design sales happen (rich arab countries), it's easy to say it's mainly rich people wanting to show off. Rich people owning a few porche's xD

And I'll say: if you know what you got into, you enjoy it and you have the money, that's alright.  I just couldn't bring myself to get one :P It'd be a P20 Pro for me.

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

Source is using speculation and secondary sources not revealed.

Please use trustworthy sources when reporting news or it is interpreted as rumor  of which is not allowed as news material.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Someone explain me where the fudge is the remaining ~80% of the sales?

(PS: as I've been showed in an other thread, Apple needed to sell well at that period since other flagships like the s9 were about to drop, so people didn't buy the old flagships when they were about to lose value.

Windows Phones ... :P lol.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

49 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You are right, if 80% of researchers point to sales being X and 20% claim it is lower then the probability is that sales will be closer to X.  Although no guarantees because Every now and then you see one scientist come out and make a claim, get laughed out of his job by everyone,  then 2 years later he turns out to be right.

You have to be careful of those however who deliberately go against the convention as the payoff will be greater if they are correct, that is why you statistically earn more money when playing the lottery by some choosing numbers above 31 (as many people choose birthday dates etc) as when you do win you will share the money with less people.

Additionally there is the issue of repetition some people may just repeat the predictions of others e.g. there were a number of iPhone Pro rumors in 2016 which turned out to be entirely incorrect (at least up to now) and everyone just bet on the same outcome. In this case other analysts may predict the same outcome because everyone else says the same.

26 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Windows Phones ... :P lol.

Have they even sold more than 80% of the Windows phones they ever produced? :P

21 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

You have to be careful of those however who deliberately go against the convention as the payoff will be greater if they are correct, that is why you statistically earn more money when playing the lottery by some choosing numbers above 31 (as many people choose birthday dates etc) as when you do win you will share the money with less people.

I was thinking of those who don't get the pay off at all, like the doctor who suggested doctors should wash their hands before attending a birth.  He was ridiculed and shunned out of the profession. They discovered germ theory just before he died and it was only posthumously that he was vindicated.  But I get your point.  Once it looks like you made a prediction the fraternity didn't you then stand out as a prodigy in some peoples minds.

21 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Additionally there is the issue of repetition some people may just repeat the predictions of others e.g. there were a number of iPhone Pro rumors in 2016 which turned out to be entirely incorrect (at least up to now) and everyone just bet on the same outcome. In this case other analysts may predict the same outcome because everyone else says the same.

That's a trope.  A situation which I believe has gotten much worse since the internet came along.   Some tropes are so bad they have become accepted narratives without question.  Like apple don't get viruses, but I believe for financial and market research the tropes would be much shorter lived.

I think the moral from our discussion is quite evident though, don't bank on anyone being absolutely correct in their analysis until we have verifiable data. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Apple are pretty good at supporting the older models. Most of their devices will get 4 or so major software releases.

Compare to my S7 Edge: Came with 6, got 7 and getting 8. And that's it (There's no way it's getting 9, even 8.1 seems like a long shot)

Where as an iPhone 5S: Came with 7, got 8,9,10 and 11. Even if it doesn't get 12, that's a mighty support cycle.

I would argue it's not long term support that's deferring people from upgrading. I've found that ever since the 6S, there hasn't really been a major compelling reason to get a new iPhone. The camera on the 6S still works really well for what people mostly use a phone camera for, storing memories and taking photos for Instagram/Snapchat. Performance wise, they're still powerful enough to do whatever you want to do with a phone.

Even on the Android side, I still see a healthy mix of older S/Note Series (even all the way to the S3) while on transit. Phones even from 3 years ago are still very useable today and there hasn't been a new killer feature that every one wants for a while to drive people to make an upgrade. I guess that's also why phone reviews for the past few years have been rather stale. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

it is the best performing phone in terms of sales. 

*best performing in the first 2 quarters of 2018

I don’t think the X is selling in numbers that would best the iPhone 6 duo, which are still one of Apple’s best selling products of all time, and probably one of the best selling phones of all time.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, GamingMemeKing said:

What the hell is a 'xiaomi' ? 

Never heard of the brand before. It is any good?

Chinese brand. 

They intentionally rip off Apple designs. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Chinese brand. 

Eh, they could be worse.

They could literally clone the X in its entirety and slap on some outdated version of Android with a skin aping iOS and call it a day.

And trust me, A LOT of them are doing so, mostly the smaller ones.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

I don't buy the "people buy iphones for a status symbol" argument. I have no idea how the US market is tbf but here in Sweden half the people run around with an iPhone, many with current gen. Who buys something extremely common as a status symbol? :/ Better to buy something a little more uncommon no?

In Europe cell phone plans with data cost way less than in Canada. To be honest, Canadian cell phone plans absolutely suck because they’re worse than the U.S. and that’s humiliating. Because the U.S. is the benchmark for worst for many things. Just think cost of education and healthcare. So if you do worse than the US then you should feel really bad. 

Anyways, buying an overpriced phone on credit is an easy thing to do when the cost of a phone plan is very affordable. 

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Please use trustworthy sources when reporting news or it is interpreted as rumor  of which is not allowed as news material.

It is not a rumor.

This is the real source of the study.

Source:https://report.counterpointinsights.com/posts/report_view/Hit/658 

It is pay walled. You have to buy the market research. Since the article I linked has graphs of the study that is not freely available, they must have bought the study.

https://www.cultofmac.com/544737/iphone-x-is-the-best-selling-smartphone-in-the-world/

Methodology of study:

Counterpoint research tracks 3,000+ models, 500+ brands and 39+ countries every month. 

This report tracks the bestselling smartphones sold in 8 countries including US, China, Germany and Korea in Jan 2018. 

Apple X was the most popular model in some countries despite the high price. 

21 hours ago, avg123 said:

But in emerging markets like India,

1. the sale of basic <$50 mobile phones is more than $100-$200 smartphones. $100 is a lot of money there.

2.At the $100-$200 dollar price range, a lot of chinese models are availablle, so the share gets split.

3.In those markets people dont upgrade phone as often an Apple user would. This sales figures are only for february.

Heyheyheyhey who said a phone under $50 had to be non Android

Just ask the Chinese manufacturers

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Chinese brand. 

The majority of their designs are their own, they created the Mi Mix bezel less phone design. Apart from the A1 and RN5 the rest are not copies.

I'm always surprised about the huge market share iOS has in NA. I haven't seen an iPhone X in the wild yet, and most iPhones I see today are 5 / 5s or the occasional 6 / 6s.

12 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Wait what? Rumours make up a huge chunk of the posts in TN&R section and I've never seen any of them get moved or locked.

So are we not allowed to post rumours in TN&R anymore?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

As someone who's had 2 iPhones in the past the phones are exceptional and run amazingly...but the price is what kills it if they were half the price they'd sell beyond expected projections but alas one can dream!

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean I guess. I personally don't view Android as "proper" compared to iOS. 

The fuck are you talking about?

44 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

The fuck are you talking about?

The android ecosystem is fractured with different devices running different versions and not even 5% running the latest version. Whereas almost all iphone currently in use have the latest version of iOS, all the way back to the 5S. This means 95% of android devices are running old software compared to most iPhones.

So even if the latest version of Android is on par with latest version of iOS, most android devices are running older android

2 minutes ago, avg123 said:

The android ecosystem is fractured with different devices running different versions and not even 5% running the latest version. Whereas almost all iphone currently in use have the latest version of iOS, all the way back to the 5S. This means 95% of android devices are running old software compared to most iPhones.

So even if the latest version of Android is on par with latest version of iOS, most android devices are running older android

Who the hell cares if its running an older version? The past few years have been fine tuning, no major updates as its already solid. 

What everyone forgets is that security updates still happen monthly. So yeah, even though not all have the latest and greatest features, at least any phone made in the last 3-4 years still has the features iOS is just getting today. 

Im sick of this being the only argument.