Iphone X is the best selling smartphone in the world!

According to a Counterpoint Research, market research firm, the Iphone X was actually the best selling smartphone in the world in February 2018.

There’s been a lot of pessimism about the iPhone X lately, but a market research firm says that this device was the top selling smartphone in the world by a wide margin in February.

The company also says Apple had all four of the best selling smartphones globally that month. 

This analysis comes from Counterpoint Research, who also said Apple’s sales volume was 5 percent higher than it was in February of 2017. 

The top four devices in global sales that month were the iPhone X (5.1 percent), the iPhone 8 (3.1 percent), the iPhone 7 (2.2 percent) and the iPhone 8 Plus (1.9 percent).

Counterpoint Research iPhone X report All of the top smartphones in February were made by Apple, according to Counterpoint Research.
Photo: Counterpoint Research

The Samsung Galaxy S8 was in sixth place with 1.4 percent of the global market in February. The S9 didn’t debut until March.

Source: https://www.cultofmac.com/544737/iphone-x-is-the-best-selling-smartphone-in-the-world/

Methodology:

Counterpoint research tracks 3,000+ models, 500+ brands and 39+ countries every month. 

This report tracks the bestselling smartphones sold in 8 countries including US, China, Germany and Korea in Jan 2018. 

Apple X was the most porpluar model in some countries despite the high price. 

Source:https://report.counterpointinsights.com/posts/report_view/Hit/658 (Paywall)

Someone explain me where the fudge is the remaining ~80% of the sales?

(PS: as I've been showed in an other thread, Apple needed to sell well at that period since other flagships like the s9 were about to drop, so people didn't buy the old flagships when they were about to lose value.

Interesting considering the recent topics about how the X is dead, failing to sell and that Apple are reducing production because they have warehouses full of them sitting there.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Schrodinger's iPhone X: Failing and succeeding in sales at the same time!

This would be so much simpler if Apple released sales numbers. Given that Apple concentrates on a few high end models rather than covering every component of the market does mean that they have a per phone type sales share advantage (and the fact that everyone likes buying iPhones apparently).

12 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

(PS: as I've been showed in an other thread, Apple needed to sell well at that period since other flagships like the s9 were about to drop, so people didn't buy the old flagships when they were about to lose value.

Hundreds of other phone models from Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, LG, and other phone manufacturers  make up the other 80%.

The Iphone X is the highest selling single phone model but that is only 5.1% of all the phones sold in the world

21 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Cheaper android phones.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Unfortunately, the breakdown and methodology of the data is hidden behind a paywall on the counterpoint site, so other than the boilerplate there really isn't any way for this to be verified by normal people. Apple doesn't release the data, so they have to be extrapolating somewhere.

The crazy thing is, as I see it - the *majority* of the world is not buying $800+ band smartphones - so without knowing how they came to these figures, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt. Seems unreasonable that 5% of all sales in the month were for literally the most expensive smartphone in the world, when most of the world doesn't earn enough to afford it.

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Cheaper android phones.

From memory I had those at around 60-70% instead.

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Unfortunately, the breakdown and methodology of the data is hidden behind a paywall on the counterpoint site, so other than the boilerplate there really isn't any way for this to be verified by normal people. Apple doesn't release the data, so they have to be extrapolating somewhere.

The crazy thing is, as I see it - the *majority* of the world is not buying $800+ band smartphones - so without knowing how they came to these figures, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt. Seems unreasonable that 5% of all sales in the month were for literally the most expensive smartphone in the world, when most of the world doesn't earn enough to afford it.

It says 5.1% of smartphones, not cheap basic mobile phones. This includes only Android and iOS running phones.

3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

It says 5.1% of smartphones, not cheap basic mobile phones. This includes only Android and iOS running phones.

I'm not sure why you felt this needed to be clarified - I'm aware this report deals with smartphones. I stated as such in my comment.

It just astounds me that in one of the historically poorest sales periods, people (worldwide apparently) were going out and grabbing a device like the iPhone X in such numbers. Some of the biggest markets for smartphones are places like India, where regular computers are too expensive and $100-$200 smartphones are absolutely everywhere, so the *implication* from these figures is that sales of the iPhone X in very wealthy countries - EU, US, Japan, South Korea, etc. - were substantially higher than that 5.1% figure in order to prop up the worldwide average.

7 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I'm not sure why you felt this needed to be clarified - I'm aware this report deals with smartphones. I stated as such in my comment.

It just astounds me that in one of the historically poorest sales periods, people (worldwide apparently) were going out and grabbing a device like the iPhone X in such numbers. Some of the biggest markets for smartphones are places like India, where regular computers are too expensive and $100-$200 smartphones are absolutely everywhere, so the *implication* from these figures is that sales of the iPhone X in very wealthy countries - EU, US, Japan, South Korea, etc. - were substantially higher than that 5.1% figure in order to prop up the worldwide average.

But in emerging markets like India,

1. the sale of basic <$50 mobile phones is more than $100-$200 smartphones. $100 is a lot of money there.

2.At the $100-$200 dollar price range, a lot of chinese models are availablle, so the share gets split.

3.In those markets people dont upgrade phone as often an Apple user would. This sales figures are only for february.

10 minutes ago, avg123 said:

But in emerging markets like India,

1. the sale of basic <$50 mobile phones is more than $100-$200 smartphones. $100 is a lot of money there.

2.At the $100-$200 dollar price range, a lot of chinese models are availablle, so the share gets split.

3.In those markets people dont upgrade phone as often an Apple user would. This sales figures are only for february.

That's still splitting hairs when you, yourself stated that feature phones are not included in the results. In a breakdown of smartphones (and smartphones only) in places like India, the cheapest band  - $100-$200 - is still going to be the most pervasive. That's simple logic.

The fact that Chinese models are there makes no difference since this is a report stating worldwide TOTAL sales. And since we don't know the methodology - exactly like I stated in my first comment - we can't be sure exactly what *is* and what *isn't* included in these results. 

Apple device sales are super high at the end of the year, with February being a historically quite poor sales month. Regularity of upgrades don't matter when the majority of sales happen at the end of the year; most people are on 1-2 year plans (Whether with their device or not), so mid-cycle upgrades are - if anything - even *less* likely to be in February for Apple device owners. Globally, it's a very poor month for sales, but for Apple, it's a sharp decline from the highs of September through December.

Edited by Tabs
Clarified.

12 minutes ago, Tabs said:

That's still splitting hairs when you, yourself stated that feature phones are not included in the results. In a breakdown of smartphones (and smartphones only) in places like India, the cheapest band  - $100-$200 - is still going to be the most pervasive. That's simple logic.

The fact that Chinese models are there makes no difference since this is a report stating worldwide TOTAL sales. And since we don't know the methodology - exactly like I stated in my first comment - we can't be sure exactly what *is* and what *isn't* included in these results. 

Apple device sales are super high at the end of the year, with February being a historically quite poor sales month. Regularity of upgrades don't matter when the majority of sales happen at the end of the year; most people are on 1-2 year plans (Whether with their device or not), so mid-cycle upgrades are - if anything - even *less* likely to be in February for Apple device owners. Globally, it's a very poor month for sales, but for Apple, it's a sharp decline from the highs of September through December.

Since smartphone market share is low in emerging markets, and the market is also split into hundreds of models, no single phone model gets a lot of share.

Like think a popular mid range model, the Moto G series. It is split into 6 different models with different amount of RAM, ROM, Processor and screensize.

This is common in cheaper smartphones to cover a lot of price range but results in fewer sales per single Phone Model

A quick google got me these articles about smartphone share vs basic mobile phones-

https://qz.com/1206462/smartphones-lost-market-share-to-feature-phones-in-africa-last-year/

This one is from 2016- http://www.bgr.in/news/feature-phones-continue-to-dominate-indian-phone-market-with-over-50-share-report/

53 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Schrodinger's iPhone X: Failing and succeeding in sales at the same time!

Right up until a market researcher opens the box and observes the data. xD

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So hold on the IPhone X a phone which has been getting hate for being to expensive and multiple reports and threads that have been made here saying that it is a failing product managed to rank top in this months figures? 

The IPhone 8, 8 plus and 7 I can understand but the IPhone X I just have a feeling that is really out of place....

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

25 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Since smartphone market share is low in emerging markets, and the market is also split into hundreds of models, no single phone model gets a lot of share.

Like think a popular mid range model, the Moto G series. It is split into 6 different models with different amount of RAM, ROM, Processor and screensize.

This is common in cheaper smartphones to cover a lot of price range but results in fewer sales per single Phone Model

A quick google got me these articles about smartphone share vs basic mobile phones-

https://qz.com/1206462/smartphones-lost-market-share-to-feature-phones-in-africa-last-year/

This one is from 2016- http://www.bgr.in/news/feature-phones-continue-to-dominate-indian-phone-market-with-over-50-share-report/

I don't understand where you're getting confused. Are you not reading the point Tabs is making?

It doesn't matter if there's a lot of little models, because selling 1 million each of 5 models will drive the iPhone X's marketshare down exactly the same percent as selling 5 million of a single model. It's share of total phones sold.

The only possible way I can see this making any sense is if this is only looking at the "premium smartphone" market, but even that doesn't make much sense because then I'd expect Apple to be significantly higher. 

This seems to be the methodology:

Counterpoint research tracks 3,000+ models, 500+ brands and 39+ countries every month. 

This report tracks the bestselling smartphones sold in 8 countries including US, China, Germany and Korea in Jan 2018. 

Source:https://report.counterpointinsights.com/posts/report_view/Hit/658

I guess its not worldwide, but only 8 countries. You can blame the clickbaity title on the source, cultofmac.com. I used their title. I did not know this at time of posting. I looked it up when a lot people raised doubt.

I'm surprised this topic wasn't created by...someone else.

I don't really find the results surprising because these are worldwide numbers, not necessarily what people in the US are buying. The other BIG factor to consider here is these numbers are conveniently taken from the month prior to the Samsung Galaxy S9/+ launch which would undoubtedly result in a slump in sales for Samsung whose customers would be holding out for the new device.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

This seems to be the methodology:

Source:https://report.counterpointinsights.com/posts/report_view/Hit/658

I guess its not worldwide, but only 8 countries. You can blame the clickbaity title on the source, cultofmac.com. I used their title. I did not know this at time of posting. I looked it up when a lot people raised doubt.

That makes a lot more sense. It really isn't too surprising that a site called "cultofmac.com" is overly enthusiastic about the findings of a report that shows (pretty much against all other current evidence) that iPhone X sales are super high.

Still, higher than expected - I'm curious if a lot of carriers that still had stock left from the rush period started offering heavy discounts on iPhone X sales to get stock moving. Anecdotally, local retail reps I've spoken to have been surprised at how slowly iPhone X's have moved. 

I should point out in case anyone thinks I'm biased - I own an iPhone X. I can believe it not selling very well - I'm very happy with it, but I moved from Windows Phone platforms, I didn't move from another Apple device. If I had, it would have been a much less significant upgrade.

2 hours ago, Carclis said:

I'm surprised this topic wasn't created by...someone else.

I don't really find the results surprising because these are worldwide numbers, not necessarily what people in the US are buying. The other BIG factor to consider here is these numbers are conveniently taken from the month prior to the Samsung Galaxy S9/+ launch which would undoubtedly result in a slump in sales for Samsung whose customers would be holding out for the new device.

You definitely have a point, but at the same time, a few considerations:

First: Apple usually fares best in the US, so if the iPhone X is going to dominate anywhere, it's there.

And historically, Apple's top-range smartphones have outsold Samsung's.  The main reason Samsung can sometimes outsell Apple is, of course, that it offers low-end phones where Apple won't go below the mid-range.  The S9 series sounds like it's doing well, but it's not guaranteed to sell better than the iPhone X.

We also know that the iPhone X continues to be the most popular iPhone from Apple's own fiscal results from May 1st.  It's really a question of the actual numbers.  There were 52 million iPhones shipped and Apple reduced inventory, so that hints at a lot of iPhone X sales.

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

I should point out in case anyone thinks I'm biased - I own an iPhone X. I can believe it not selling very well - I'm very happy with it, but I moved from Windows Phone platforms, I didn't move from another Apple device. If I had, it would have been a much less significant upgrade.

Moving from a windows phone to anything is magic at this point. I did a move from a Iphone 4 to a Lumia 640 which was sort of a sidegrade. Last year i went from the Lumia to a Huawei mate 9 Pro. That move was magic pretty much. So i cam imagine why you like it. I just dont understand why someone would move from an iphone 7/6s to the X. I guess its something different in the apple ecosystem. And that is a luxury i guess. 

Props to you new phone. Keep buying what you think is best

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I just dont understand why someone would move from an iphone 7/6s to the X

Status symbol. "Im rich so I am better than you" is def a thing.

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Status symbol. "Im rich so I am better than you" is def a thing.

Then why not go with something like the Porche design P20 Pro with 512 GB of storage. Sith the accessories its not much more expencive than the X, but still more expencive is by some regarded the best phone at this point in time. Its just expencive. Veeeery expencive