Iphone X is the best selling smartphone in the world!

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Then why not go with something like the Porche design P20 Pro with 512 GB of storage. Sith the accessories its not much more expencive than the X, but still more expencive is by some regarded the best phone at this point in time. Its just expencive. Veeeery expencive

Cos Porsche isn't instantly recognisable by the general population

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Then why not go with something like the Porche design P20 Pro with 512 GB of storage. Sith the accessories its not much more expencive than the X, but still more expencive is by some regarded the best phone at this point in time. Its just expencive. Veeeery expencive

Because most the population doesnt even know that phone exist let alone the price. Everyone knows how expensive the X is. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Two things:

Porsche (or specifically, Porsche Design -- not the same company) isn't really a name you associate with handheld luxury items.  It's like buying Lamborghini luggage: it's fine, but people are only really going to be impressed if you show up in a supercar.

The other thing?  The Porsche Design variant (the Mate RS) is... well, kinda tacky.  There's a garish "PORSCHE DESIGN" label souring the front of the phone, and that odd PD logo on the back doesn't really sell it.  And ironically, the regular P20 Pro's color-changing finish is far more supercar-like than the black from the Porsche Design model.  You're paying a premium for a dowdier-looking phone with more storage.

The iPhone X, meanwhile, doesn't have the P20 Pro's trick finish but looks quite nice overall between the glass back and stainless steel trim.  Of course, that usually gets hidden by a case, but never you mind that... :P

5 hours ago, Tabs said:

Unfortunately, the breakdown and methodology of the data is hidden behind a paywall on the counterpoint site, so other than the boilerplate there really isn't any way for this to be verified by normal people. Apple doesn't release the data, so they have to be extrapolating somewhere.

The crazy thing is, as I see it - the *majority* of the world is not buying $800+ band smartphones - so without knowing how they came to these figures, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt. Seems unreasonable that 5% of all sales in the month were for literally the most expensive smartphone in the world, when most of the world doesn't earn enough to afford it.

Untitled222.png.bac53e139a4220c01ef8abb9c5678a6b.png

MaxthonSnap20180502163148.png.d53bc7a73c2f027ded1011c25b98d0dc.png

basically. Some countries are driven up Apple's marketshare like crazy. US, UK, and a few others. Remember, most Apple phones are 600$+. People are just buying them on 24 months contracts (on credit basically).

44 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

there's no porsche design p20 pro with 512gb, only a Mate RS with 512gb of storage, but limited to china. :( I wanted that one. Rest of the world gets the 256gb version.

Spoiler

i get your point.;)

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Two things:

Porsche (or specifically, Porsche Design -- not the same company) isn't really a name you associate with handheld luxury items.  It's like buying Lamborghini luggage: it's fine, but people are only really going to be impressed if you show up in a supercar.

The other thing?  The Porsche Design variant (the Mate RS) is... well, kinda tacky.  There's a garish "PORSCHE DESIGN" label souring the front of the phone, and that odd PD logo on the back doesn't really sell it.  And ironically, the regular P20 Pro's color-changing finish is far more supercar-like than the black from the Porsche Design model.  You're paying a premium for a dowdier-looking phone with more storage.

The iPhone X, meanwhile, doesn't have the P20 Pro's trick finish but looks quite nice overall between the glass back and stainless steel trim.  Of course, that usually gets hidden by a case, but never you mind that... :P

and i'll say no.

Porsche Design is part of Porsche, so it's the same brand. Just different division.

We all know Porsche, and associate it with luxury. More people know Porsche than Huawei.

The design is amazing. The label on the front, yeah, whatever, you have to tell people somehow it's a Porsche Design phone, right? On the back it looks even nicer. The nice version of the Mate RS is the red version, though reserved to China. You're not paying premium for more storage, you're paying premium for being a pioneer in future of technology. Inscreen fingerprint sensor. Ridiculous storage. Amazing crafting. Actively cooled SoC.

iPhone X just looks cheap. Looks like any other phone out there at this point. P20 Pro feels good in hand. Mate RS feels even more amazing. Even if it's heavier, it feels lighter.Sharper edges make it easier to hold

IMG_20180418_155606.thumb.jpg.be7692c21816d63afee6a04fa9f61ea6.jpgIMG_20180418_155721.thumb.jpg.60a77ebf7c0d5e921c1acd174e9c3871.jpg

i guess it's not everybody's cup of tea, but for me, and those of us who bought a Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design, this is the best smartphone you can get right now, and that's what we are paying for. 

now, you prefer iphone x? sure, ok. It's subjective, nothing new. We'll never agree on what is luxury is and what isn't. Don't like it? don't buy. But mate rs belongs in the luxury case.

Iphone x belongs in the "apple exclusivity idea though everybody has one"

edit: i'll take some extra time to actually explain. If you're a regular dude or teenager, you will not get the Mate RS, because, indeed, it doesn't strike as luxury/exclusivity immediately. You will get an iPhone X. Because everybody knows what it is, and we all associate Apple with this "exclusivity" thing. So, if I were a regular person trying to look cool, I would indeed get the iPhone X. Like the nike shoes or adidas tracksuits, right? Or just ANY regular iPhone, really. The 7, the 8, whatever.

But if you have money, and are in "those" circles of people with money and do the stereotypical rich people stuff of golf, beach, expensive car, big house, etc, you'll be inclined in considering this phone, especially if you know about "Porsche Design". You would be surprissed how many people buy sunglasses or clothes from them. 

Ironically it's especially all these rich people from saudi arabia and suchxDxDxDxD

8 minutes ago, The Viking said:

this is the best smartphone you can get right now, and that's what we are paying for.

Calm thy tits, you are getting a little aggressive there in that post.

P20 is a good phone and the Porche is nice but you dont have to go around saying its the best phone on the market to justify your purchase. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Calm thy tits, you are getting a little aggressive there in that post.

P20 is a good phone and the Porche is nice but you dont have to go around saying its the best phone on the market to justify your purchase. 

Not getting agressive. 

If you don't agree, not my problem. Though I don't see any competitor to the Mate RS. You do? then just say it.

Besides, I don't even need to justify my purchase, I'm happy with it.

2 minutes ago, The Viking said:

Not getting agressive. 

If you don't agree, not my problem. Though I don't see any competitor to the Mate RS. You do? then just say it.

Besides, I don't even need to justify my purchase, I'm happy with it.

Someone says the Porche isnt the best one and you snap back with its the best phone on the market. 

I mean from the front its an S8/S9....period, you cant argue it. Then the back is similar yet again but if you are paying $2k+ for a phone you better damn well have a case. So once you buy your $2k phone and slap it in a case....looks no different than an S8/S9 for 1/3 the price. 

Also is the extra storage really worth it? S9 has a 256 model coming out and already has expandable storage. I cant imagine having 1/2-1TB of data of a phone. 

Underscreen FP is cool but not worth the price. 

So yeah its the most expensive phone but is it the best? Samsung has it beat on the software side and hardware. 

Peer pressure doesn't make the atrocious notch suddenly cease to exist.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Someone says the Porche isnt the best one and you snap back with its the best phone on the market. 

I mean from the front its an S8/S9....period, you cant argue it. Then the back is similar yet again but if you are paying $2k+ for a phone you better damn well have a case. So once you buy your $2k phone and slap it in a case....looks no different than an S8/S9 for 1/3 the price. 

Also is the extra storage really worth it? S9 has a 256 model coming out and already has expandable storage. I cant imagine having 1/2-1TB of data of a phone. 

So yeah its the most expensive phone but is it the best? Samsung has it beat on the software side and hardware. 

Oh so somebody says the Mate RS is the best one and you snap back because your little Samsung brand got ignored?

Here are all the things your little samsung s9 has that mate rs doesn't have:

• headphone jack
  • ip68
  • microSD card
  • faster SoC

here are all the things your little samsung s9 is missing:

• better camera
  • AI for battery/speed/camera assistant
  • bigger battery
  • In-screen fingerprint sensor+back fingeprint sensor, with a full privacy mode. So you can have two different phones in one
  • desktop mode without needing a dock
  • Actively cooled SoC
  • More storage
  • Android 8.1 

you give up an SD card slot & headphone jack. And software? EMUI is better. Samsung is now copying EMUI features. AH.

You pay 950 for the S9+. You pay 1550e for the Mate RS. I still go to Mate RS on specs alone.

And you do get a leather case. 

So, who's the butthurt now? not me.

lol..."I don't have to justify my purchase", goes into text wall of basically "your Samsung sucks"

Guys it's a phone, who TF cares what model you have if it works for you. You'll end up replacing it eventually anyway. ?

1 hour ago, Tcrumpen said:

Proof that people will pay through the nose for a status symbol

Do you really think that's it? It's legitimately better than everything else on the market.

FYI - I have a Gen 1 Pixel.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Most people just associate Porche with a midlife crisis.

shit i reached that one too fast then.

Spoiler

it says porsche on it, but i reckon it doesn't count?

15 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Do you really think that's it? It's legitimately better than everything else on the market.

FYI - I have a Gen 1 Pixel.

It maybe better but it's also far to expensive for what it is, for £1000 (How much it costs here in the UK) there isn't really anything revolutionary or game breaking about it; i see FaceID as more of a gimmick, in fact i feel that most forms of biometerics are gimmicks really

Also the Huawaii P20 Pro arguably has a better camera

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

shit i reached that one too fast then.

Reveal hidden contents

it says porsche on it, but i reckon it doesn't count?

You're never too young for a midlife crisis if you plan on dying young :P 

Oh so somebody says the Mate RS is the best one and you snap back because your little Samsung brand got ignored?

The attitude you have back proves my original point that their status is based on how much they spend, because "my little samsung" isnt up to your standards or price point. 

OP, I think you mean best selling smartphone in Q1/Q2 2018?

Because the title is a tad confusing as it sorta implies that it's the top selling smartphone ever at first, which is pretty far fetched as it would have to beat the iPhone 6 duo, which are still one of Apple's best selling products ever. 

Also

• headphone jack
  • ip68
  • microSD card
  • faster SoC

• better camera
  • bigger battery
  • In-screen fingerprint sensor+back fingeprint sensor, with a full privacy mode. So you can have two different phones in one
  • Actively cooled SoC
  • More storage
  • Android 8.1 

you give up an SD card slot & headphone jack. And software? EMUI is better. Samsung is now copying EMUI features. AH.

You pay 950 for the S9+. You pay 1550e for the Mate RS. I still go to Mate RS on specs alone.

You need to calm down mate. You're going dangerously deep within fanboy territory 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You need to calm down mate. You're going dangerously deep within fanboy territory 

and you should check why  i answered this.

The other dude is the one already deep in the fanboy territory

edit: I stated an opinion. Opinion is directly ignored claiming S9+ is best smartphone without providing reasons. I just elaborated why mate RS, from a specs point of view, is the better model. Does it appear as fanboyism? not my problem. I used specs to justify. Not an opinion. Because Samsung's software is better. AH. Sure.

9 minutes ago, The Viking said:

and you should check why  i answered this.

The other dude is the one already deep in the fanboy territory

edit: I stated an opinion. Opinion is directly ignored claiming S9+ is best smartphone without providing reasons. I just elaborated why mate RS, from a specs point of view, is the better model. Does it appear as fanboyism? not my problem. I used specs to justify. Not an opinion. Because Samsung's software is better. AH. Sure.

Uhhhhhh

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

The dude has a point. You have a great phone that you really like. That's fine. No need to ramble so much based on disagreements. 

And I'm sorry, but it's fanboyism when you start to justify your purchase unnecessarily because another person has a different opinion. Like I love my Note8, but you don't see me running around claiming my $930 Android phone is the best phone ever because it plainly isn't. And frankly, nothing is because subjective preferences exist. 

Because at the end of the day, it's a cell phone. A communications device that helps us stay connected. We can ramble about specs and everything but it's still a smartphone at the end of the day 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Uhhhhhh

The dude has a point. You have a great phone that you really like. That's fine. No need to ramble so much based on disagreements. 

And I'm sorry, but it's fanboyism when you start to justify your purchase unnecessarily because another person has a different opinion. Like I love my Note8, but you don't see me running around claiming my $930 Android phone is the best phone ever because it plainly isn't. And frankly, nothing is because subjective preferences exist. 

read again then.

my response:

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

• headphone jack
  • ip68
  • microSD card
  • faster SoC

• better camera
  • bigger battery
  • Actively cooled SoC
  • More storage
  • Android 8.1 

specs list. Isn't that how it works in tech? You put specs to compare two products and done?

i really don't have to justify my purchase, it's my problem if i spent a lot of money, and I don't deny it, it's a stupid purchase. I said it multiple times. Here I'm wasting my time justifying why the Mate RS is better, specs-wise, than the S9+. 

edit: i guess i'm sorry if it appears as fanboyism, but it really isn't, it's comparing specs and saying, yes, mate rs has more tech in it so it's the better device out of the two. Like if you compare a threadripper 1950X to an intel i9 7980xe, the i9 7980xe is the better cpu between those two, but then you take into account the price and such and the 1950x becomes the better choice.

Saying that it's the better out of the two due to.... the way they look and software... isn't comparing. That's like me claiming Radeon cards are superior because Radeon software is better. No, a 1080ti is the better model.

5 minutes ago, The Viking said:

specs list. Isn't that how it works in tech? You put specs to compare two products and done?

i really don't have to justify my purchase, it's my problem if i spent a lot of money, and I don't deny it, it's a stupid purchase. I said it multiple times. Here I'm wasting my time justifying why the Mate RS is better, specs-wise, than the S9+. 

Again, why do you need to? It just feels unnecessary because people aren't swayed so easily and just feels like clutter. 

The only thing I've needed to say to justify my phone purchase was "It fits my needs best" and that's it. I don't need to ramble about specs or camera or whatnot. Because it's MY phone and I decide whether it's worth my cash. Who cares if that Mate RS is stupidly expensive? If you want it and can afford it, do it. It's not the wisest purchasing decision but it's your money. 

Also, "little Samsung S9" is a bit too much. 

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

Hah! Specs for what? And in what context? The A11 doesn’t need active cooling to smoke everything on the market. 

Its a good phone sure, but the iPhone X is still a better phone overall. As evident by the sales numbers. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Hah! Specs for what? And in what context? The A11 doesn’t need active cooling to smoke everything on the market. 

Its a good phone sure, but the iPhone X is still a better phone overall. As evident by the sales numbers. 

I'm actually inclined to agree with you here, really.

though iphone x just falls short on too many points :S sort that battery and stuff and will see

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Also, "little Samsung S9" is a bit too much. 

can't make fun of stuff anymore?