Fry's attempted to screw my friend.

Well, to be specific somebody at Fry's was screwing them and they passed it on to us without doing due diligence.

So here's the story. My friend decides that he wants a computer, and rather than wait the week or so for me to assemble the parts decides to buy an Alienware. He pulls the trigger on what is supposed to be an Aurora R7 with the 8700. They only have the demo model in stock however so he gets an additional discount off. He buys it two days ago and I reset windows for him. Everything is working well for the moment so I go home. I'm over there yesterday futzing around and install HWiNFO. The CPU instead of being an 8700 like its supposed to be is a 7700. Cue internal screeching of brakes. I pull up dxdiag and it pops up as the Aurora R6, last year's model. He and I pack everything up and head back to Fry's.

At the time I though maybe they had just screwed up somewhere and thought the old demo model was the new one since they look exactly the same. What actually happened was much more interesting. Somebody had swapped out the old model for the new. What's more, they were tech savvy enough to swap out the physical service tag from a 9 year old Optiplex with the current one to cover their tracks. Course, the demo unit was put out all of a week ago so they're still probably screwed since the security recordings will still be current.

Meanwhile my friend gets another $200 off and it will be an unopened unit, so all in all a successful venture.

Cool story bro, glad you got what you ordered in the end

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

I've personally never liked Fry's tbh 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

The only appropriate reaction.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

well this is just a bad employee, not a reflection of Fry's as a whole.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

More than likely was a returned item made into a demo. The mistake was probably at the return counter... they have no clue what's what in there, so they just return it.

I use to work there a decade ago... you'd be surprised the shit people try to pull.  They'd buy HDDs, replace it with an old FDD and reshrinkwrap it and try to return it. Or swap put old Motherboards for new ones (same process). 

Frys no longer accepts returns on Videocards, except exchanges for bad cards, because of bitcoin but also because of people trying to reflash the cards (think eBay scammers) so return employees see the correct thing in POST.

You got what you needed in the end, but it's really more someone screwing Frys than the other way around.

Yeah, you can run into idiots that work at Fry's, but fry's as a whole is awesome. Fry's has replaced CPUs and even motherboards for me no questions asked. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You should change title to be more suitable. No need to blame company for single persons actions.

Due diligence on their part would have included checking everything fully as it was a demo unit. Either through the service tag, which would have immediately tripped warnings, or upon resetting windows and running dxdiag.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

Due diligence on their part would have included checking everything fully as it was a demo unit. Either through the service tag, which would have immediately tripped warnings, or upon resetting windows and running dxdiag.

So the CEO of Fry's should check every unit sold? It was a bad employee, something that happens everywhere. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

So the CEO of Fry's should check every unit sold? It was a bad employee, something that happens everywhere. 

Unless the employee that sold the unit was the same as the one who swapped it out(unlikely as the demo unit was put out on the floor a week ago and the thief would have done everything possible to discourage such a sale given the timeframe) the employee doing the selling should have had it wiped and checked before letting it leave the store.

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Unless the employee that sold the unit was the same as the one who swapped it out(unlikely as the demo unit was put out on the floor a week ago and the thief would have done everything possible to discourage such a sale given the timeframe) the employee doing the selling should have had it wiped and checked before letting it leave the store.

Who knows what happened, the fact is Fry's resolved it. Buying open items is always a crap shoot. 

4 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

shit happens, they fixed it

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

4 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Without having worked in store, I can't say how hard it is to swap/fake tags. But in all, as this was not systematic thing, they did allow swap for new unit and extra refund, I don't see any point of blaming whole store for mistake when culprit has been single worker. Its not like you actually lost something. Its the store which might have lost even more if the worker has taken actual demo unit with them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What a bullshit title. They didn't try and screw you over' if they did, they would have refused to return or do anything with the unit you were sold.

They could have easily said "how do we know you didn't change it when you got home?"

It's not Fry that's the issue here, since they went above and beyond to help you out. It's the employee.

I see this more as a positive of Fry's, not a negative.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Fry's quality varies from store to store. The two Fry's in the Phoenix, AZ area, and especially the one in Tempe, are pathetic. I've ordered items to pulled and held for pickup and they take the order, then email back to say they don't have it despite what their inventory shows, they pull the wrong item, or they pull the wrong quantity. The Tempe store always looks like it's going out of business because of the large number of stockouts in the store.

If I order online to be shipped directly to me, it comes from their warehouse, takes several days to pull the order, then ship it by the slowest method possible (dog sled?).

Fry's has been notorious in the past for putting returns back on the shelf without determining if they were in good condition or not and selling them as new. After catching flack for it, they now indicate that they are returns (putting strapping around the packaging) and sell them at a reduced price. I still don't trust buying returned products but, at least, they are identifiable in the store now.

I often visit friends in San Marcos, CA and the Fry's there is always well stocked and their employees have their heads screwed on straight, unlike Phoenix and Tempe.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

26 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

too greasy. 

also there like all things tech, but when your there they have like only half the shit you need or none of it

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

8 hours ago, knightslugger said:

well this is just a bad employee, not a reflection of Fry's as a whole.

i used to work at Frys in Oregon, this is not just a bad employee and is consistent with frys as a whole.

while i dont believe this was intentionally malicious, the people that work there dont receive proper training, and are fucking retarded. mistakes like this happen all the time(ive seen the service department put the wrong cpu in a customers computer and had to call them a week later to get it back since it belonged to somebody else).  The computer department knows nothing about individual components, and only knows that the higher priced one is probably better. the fact that the 2 models look the same, tells me they didnt actually check the barcode and just assumed it was right.

or, it could have been malicious, and an employee purchased the "old" demo units after swapping it with the new one. its very possible.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Don’t let one person ruin the outlook of an entire company. Even management saw there was an issue and worked with you and your friend to rectify it.

I wouldn’t say Fry’s is bad as a whole, they just have one bad employee that is making the place toxic.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

10 hours ago, Kierax said:

The only appropriate reaction.

But, Frys is a US based company, they have zero store location in Canada.

You can't blame all your issues with Canada, no matter how much you want to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

So technically Fry's didn't screw you over, it was just a bad employee. 

I built my first PC with Frys Electronics, they had a splendid return policy and never gave me any problems.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^