iPhone X is dead as consumers turn their backs on pricey smartphones

Okjoek
5 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

Agreed.  I've known some people who think of phones as status symbols, as if a person with an iPhone 5S is somehow an inferior human being because they haven't upgraded yet.  I got bullied by those same people because I had an iPhone SE, and the 7 had just come out!!!  Cheezits, just let me enjoy my phone!

Seriously, status symbols are bullshit...

Don't go and live in Japan then.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

South Korea is worse, hells even excessive plastic surgery so you look like a synthetic dolls is a demand to live in there.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 22/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, Okjoek said:

What are regarded as the best phone cameras on the market right now? They're not generally a selling point for me as my S7 camera does everything I need.

Pixel 2

Galaxy S9

iPhone 8/X

17 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

this is as objective as it can get, and you tell this to people just dislike apple generally, they still think you are a fanboy and everyone is chasing the logo 

whats the point of arguing with those people? 

macOS. I have to admit I HATED macOS when I was using it the 1st time... everything seems too pretty and lack of function. 

Then I got used to it, then I started to dislike windows. 

And a year or two later, macOS becomes my primary OS. 

I use a macbook and hook it to my monitor, while there is a i7 8700 8GB of ram 1060 machine sitting under the desk. 

Still I prefer macOS than windows 10. 

Try Linux. Just like macOS, you will hate it initially but soon you will develop deeper hatred for both macOS and windows.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 22/04/2018 at 10:22 PM, Okjoek said:

What are regarded as the best phone cameras on the market right now? They're not generally a selling point for me as my S7 camera does everything I need.

best camera on a smartphone right now is the one from Huawei's P20 Pro, triple-lens+AI, leaving in the dust iphone X and passing by the S9. Is it a major selling point? interestingly, yes, P20 Pro is pretty much out of stock everywhere right now.

i'm late to the discussion, sorry :|

6 hours ago, LordTaco42 said:

I mean the other topic would be how much of us REALLLY NEED a $1000 smartphone.  I mean even if you like iOS imessage or those apple things then you can get a perfectly fine working older iphone and have it work just fine and do all the smartphone things you need it to.

...I hate to say this...but...you’re an idiot if you pay $1000 for that phone. As someone said before, a used iPhone X is $700 right now. And this price can only drop over time. I believe that it wouldn’t unreasonable to purchase a used iPhone X for $500 a year after launch. And as people pointed out before, smartphones are stagnating. So there’s really no point in getting the latest smartphone and used flagships from last year are becoming very attractive. For example, you can pick up a used Samsung S8 for less than half the price of a Samsung S9. And it’s so hard to tell the S8 and S9 apart. Now, there’s one more thing you have to take into consideration and that is software support. Android phones are notoriously bad for neglecting software updates 2 years after launch. The Google Pixel is a shameful example of this. But iPhones are great at getting updates, even several years after launch. So that’s why I think that Apple’s outrageously expensive iPhone X will be “worth it” in the long run, especially if you don’t pay the full price. On the other hand, I wouldn’t spend more than $200 on Android phone. 

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

Lightning headphones do seem silly to me.  They can have functional advantages over regular gear, but I'd still go Bluetooth if I hadn't already.

The 2.5mm jack... well, I'd say the problem was that it was both before its time and not enough.  It mainly existed in the pre-iPhone era where headphones were there to listen to FM radio or the 10 MP3s you somehow managed to move on to your Nokia.  You didn't mind using the pack-in headphones because you were unlikely to use it as a serious music player.  And now, the issue is that it'd offer only a bit of space saving, but not as much as removing the jack entirely and without any extra functionality to make up for its presence.

really now that I think about it I feel my problem is more not having a separate headphone jack. Like idc if they made a new flat standard for it, as long as it was just a regular 3 pole analog connection that can be easily adapted by cheap adapters. I just hate the idea that split dongles are required to charge and headphone. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Try Linux. Just like macOS, you will hate it initially but soon you will develop deeper hatred for both macOS and windows.

how do you use google drive on linux??? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

46 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

ah, i use my browser. I only use browser when i had windows machine too. all my emails are done by browsers. Do you really need a client app for these? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

Not really, everyone thinks it's Japan but nope. South Korea as mentioned by Princess Cadence is by far worst. This is mostly due to Samsung and LG... Thanks guys...

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

South Korea is worse, hells even excessive plastic surgery so you look like a synthetic dolls is a demand to live in there.

Really? Local Koreans are decent looking enough... Why turn into ugly Barbies... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeria_Lukyanova

WHY :(

On topic: seriously, everyone thought I was being "cheap" when buying the Stylo 2, but only a year later when I bought the Stylo 3 for less than the price of their 2 year contract phone did they only realize what I was able to do. Plus I saved even more money by BOYP and was able to choose my provider.

How did the top tier phone of Samsung go from $600+- (S4) to nearly $1000? More tech? Or more greed?

I don’t think the iPhone X is dead. More that this specific X will be laid to rest once the new lineup arrives.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, n8cwhite said:

You can get 50 U2 albums for this price

Why would anyone want to though?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

insync

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Not really, everyone thinks it's Japan but nope. South Korea as mentioned by Princess Cadence is by far worst. This is mostly due to Samsung and LG... Thanks guys...

I've had personal conversations with marketing managers in Japan who say it is bad,  I am assuming you simply mean it is worse in SK rather than meaning it is not like that in Japan?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

You can buy a high end motorcycle like a Honda CB500F or an Yamaha MT-03 for the price of the iPhone X... like this makes no sense at all... smartphones all do the same thing.

Gaming in the phone? why not just buy a Switch if you want portability.

What skanky MT03 are you getting for 1000 bucks lmao. Either something is wrong with it, they want it gone asap or a combination of both.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 4/23/2018 at 5:45 PM, Kamjam21xx said:

Why not just use a used go pro... ? 

$100

Just mount it, film it, compensate for lense distortion, track everything. 

Edit: If you really want accuracy, add little dots on your face, remove them in post by tracking cleanplates onto your skin in 2.5D and animate a roto to mask the edges of your cleanplates if they get in the way of anything. Unless its for a game, then you dont need the extra stuff. Sorry was thinking video production, not games.

Forgot the silly helmet too, idk what that costs.

Ok so there are a few things - basically I prefer depth sensing capture as I've got experience in it already via the old realsense/faceshift combo. Ironically faceshift is where apple go their animoji tech from, or at least they acquired the company to eliminate possible competition.
As to the helmet, defs prefer the idea of actors moving about and interacting with others. Eye contact is a bit like that. 
The nearest alternative is a BRIO setup with iclone, but eh. 
My use case is animation of the 3d kind. Film probably and perhaps game.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:30 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Sure.....keep telling yourself that. Just ignore all the data....

To be honest why not post the data to show him he is wrong than just saying it. To be honest for people who are looking for a laptop in general they most likely pic Mac's because hey it's Apple. not because oh it would be more ideal in my situation, When it comes to the more tech savvy people then ya data is more informable as MAC's can do things better than MS and vica versa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, Jesu - actually lets keep him out of this. 

Why the hell are you all like this? Like come on it a bloody product, flame wars like this generally piss me off because it one point against another on either side and somehow both are so dense to bloody compromise and come to an agreement. Oh people like this because x n y and because Z doesn't have that or this. 

Can I just state one thing? Keep wasting your lives with this pointless arguments on which is better. This being Apple v MS or Xbox v PS or whatever other flame war their are going on but like seriously......

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Well, I guess this was kind of expected. Not EVERYONE in the world want's to buy one phone. There are a lot of good phones on the market, that are very cheap.

My dad had a Windows phone and moved to Android. Of course, it took him a while to make the move, but he eventually made it and is now happy with his phone. His Windows phone cost $180, and the android was $260. A $80 difference, but huge performance gain. My dad was looking for an iPhone, but didn's as they were too expensive and had a horrible price to performance ratio, for what he needed.

hi.

4 hours ago, Noctus said:

Taxes and tributes makes it cost about 3000 dollars in Brazil and a shit ton of people still buys it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

14 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I wasn't going to say buy used, I was going to say buy only once? You see a ton of people who buys a new iPhone every new generation (or any smartphone line up that you're into to) which makes about little sense as it makes switching CPUs every new generation.

If you need a product and something like the iPhone X is the only thing that fits your criteria then alright but this consumerism is not healthy at all.

I mean I do all on laptops and PCs so I know I'm not the best example, but I got myself a cheap smartphone by Lenovo which I only use it for Telegram/WhatsApp and occasionally music... and that's it... serves me more than fine enough... I have spend like 250 dollars my entirely life in phone... I don't even sign for a plan, I have it pre-paid SIM which i'll put 5 dollars credit once every 6 months just so my line isn't cut.

I agree the only reason I even got a S8+ to begin with is because my S3 was crapping out and that was a phone that lasted me many years and I'm expecting to make my S8 last just as long if not longer if I can help it.

Why would anyone spend $1000 on a phone is beyond my comprehension. Got my lg v10 brand new for $350 and now I'm looking to pay the same fora v20. Do you know how much food/games/movies I could buy with $1000 ? Or as one of my warframe buddies would say "You know how much plat that is ?"

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Why would anyone spend $1000 on a phone is beyond my comprehension. Got my lg v10 brand new for $350 and now I'm looking to pay the same fora v20. Do you know how much food/games/movies I could buy with $1000 ? Or as one of my warframe buddies would say "You know how much plat that is ?"

It's pretty simple: the smartphone is likely the most important computing device in your life (unless you work remotely from home, anyway).  It's always with you, and it handles several important roles.  If you have the money for it and a genuine interest in your smartphone's capabilities, why not invest in a device that theoretically improves things across the board?

It's like asking why someone would buy anything other than a 10-year-old Honda Civic... or why someone would spend money on a free-to-play game like Warframe, for that matter.  Some people have different priorities than you, and if the investment makes them happy and doesn't hurt them, there shouldn't be an issue.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's pretty simple: the smartphone is likely the most important computing device in your life (unless you work remotely from home, anyway).  It's always with you, and it handles several important roles.  If you have the money for it and a genuine interest in your smartphone's capabilities, why not invest in a device that theoretically improves things across the board?

It's like asking why someone would buy anything other than a 10-year-old Honda Civic... or why someone would spend money on a free-to-play game like Warframe, for that matter.  Some people have different priorities than you, and if the investment makes them happy and doesn't hurt them, there shouldn't be an issue.

Can't compare phones and cars... That's an apple to Zebras comparison. I have legit reasons to buy a $1000 phone, doesn't mean I should buy it. That's why they're cheaper alternatives that do exactly the same thing. In the last few years "budget" phones have all the bells and whistles that the flagships have minus the gimmickey stuff they have on flagships these days calling them features.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

8 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

In the last few years "budget" phones have all the bells and whistles that the flagships have minus the gimmickey stuff they have on flagships these days calling them features.

but that's how tech evolves really. The newest stuff is expensive to mass produce so it's reserved to the more expensive stuff. Few years ago fingeprint sensors could only be found in high end flagships, now even your cheap 200 euro budget phone has a really fast/reliable one. Only expensive phones had good cameras, now the ones in most budget phones are more than decent enough for your everyday use. SoC, ram, storage, all used to be reserved to flagships, now your budget phone has all of them for not much and are decent enough to do everything you want to do.

But the reality is that there's no real profit in the budget phone. So the manufacturer needs to have some kind of flagship that costs $$$$ to make a profit. And to sell it, they have to somehow justify the cost. Either the camera or the features. Or just make something that can easily be called the top of the current flagships.

I guess you could say flagships are a demonstration of how far the company has gone in innovation and what they can produce, as well as what your standard phone will be in 2/3 years' time?