iPhone X is dead as consumers turn their backs on pricey smartphones

Okjoek
4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The argument essentially boils down to Mac vs PC. FinalCut is only available on the Mac and really you should only be editing with FinalCut on a Mac. 

Or accept that there is no ,magic dust inside Mac's that make things run faster. 

Would be nice if @LinusTech could make a fcpx comparison between a MacBook and an hackintoshed laptop cause I couldn't find any test on that front. But I expect pretty similar results given what you get for a similarly priced laptop or similar results as the MacBook (maybe better cause no thermal throttling) on a similarly, but cheaper, specced one. Cause tech is tech, there is no fairy dust.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The iPhone Xpensive is basically a luxury toy. The kind of people who will buy it would have already done so long ago. So demand tapers off at a much more rapid rate. Just as Louis Rossmann said, Apple is basically trying to see how far they can push consumers before they buckle.

i think before people seize to buy expencive things from apple they will seize to consume food as consumers

Crap. Was thinking about one for facial mocap as its still basically the cheapest effective solution.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

22 minutes ago, Serin said:

Crap. Was thinking about one for facial mocap as its still basically the cheapest effective solution.

Why not just use a used go pro... ? 

$100

Just mount it, film it, compensate for lense distortion, track everything. 

Edit: If you really want accuracy, add little dots on your face, remove them in post by tracking cleanplates onto your skin in 2.5D and animate a roto to mask the edges of your cleanplates if they get in the way of anything. Unless its for a game, then you dont need the extra stuff. Sorry was thinking video production, not games.

Forgot the silly helmet too, idk what that costs.

I for one wouldn't mind if it died. It's locally three times more expensive than my LG G2, which was a flagship model back then. My phone isn't limiting me in any way, so I really don't understand what happened in a few years to warrant prices that insane.

12 minutes ago, Dellers said:

I for one wouldn't mind if it died. It's locally three times more expensive than my LG G2, which was a flagship model back then. My phone isn't limiting me in any way, so I really don't understand what happened in a few years to warrant prices that insane.

The tech industry has a lot of big companies coocoo for cocoa puffs and money. I think its going to happen with every quickly developing technogy. 

I swear i remember older versions of windows costing 2x or 3x as much at release as nowadays. 

Edit: looked it up to be sure my childhood memories werent corrupted. Windows XP cost $199.99 and i think i rememver XP pro being like $249.99 

You can get windows 10 pro gor $39.99 now.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Cause tech is tech, there is no fairy dust.

Shhh... Telling someone that there is no magic fairy dust in their Apple products is like telling a child there is no Santa Claus.

8 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I swear i remember older versions of windows costing 2x or 3x as much at release as nowadays. 

Windows has always been ~100 dollars for a license. It was more if you account for inflation, and the Ultimate versions and such, but the number of dollars for the "normal" version has always been more or less the same.

Here is a commercial for Windows 1.0 (back in 1986). The price? 99 dollars (225 today, adjusted for inflation).

7 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Edit: looked it up to be sure my childhood memories werent corrupted. Windows XP cost $199.99 and i think i rememver XP pro being like $249.99 

You can get windows 10 pro gor $39.99 now.

Are you sure about that? The OEM version of Windows 10 Home is 93 dollars on Amazon.

40 dollars sounds like either an upgrade key, or someone selling it second hand (maybe a code from an off-the-shelf computer).

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Are you sure about that? The OEM version of Windows 10 Home is 93 dollars on Amazon.

40 dollars sounds like either an upgrade key, or someone selling it second hand (maybe a code from an off-the-shelf computer).

Its a license, which is as good as the physical cd right? I thought upgrades to windows 10 were free, since my laptop kept trying to force me to upgrade and one day did it on its own.

Also maybe its for Taiwan or something, ive been told that they price it different for different languages and countries.

Its hard to say my memories of looking at windows on the shelves of target when i was 8 are accurate.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Or accept that there is no ,agic dust inside Mac's that make things run faster. 

Would be nice if @LinusTech could make a fcpx comparison between a MacBook and an hackintoshed laptop cause I couldn't find any test on that front. But I expect pretty similar results given what you get for a similarly priced laptop or similar results as the MacBook (maybe better cause no thermal throttling) on a similarly, but cheaper, specced one. Cause tech is tech, there is no fairy dust.

Not sure if it's worth doing a review on a software package that fell from grace 7 years ago.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/do-professional-editors-care-about-fcpx-anymore-the-backlash/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/01/video-pros-apple-needs-to-acknowledge-the-pro-industry-and-fast/

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/why-final-cut-pro-x-is-sending-me-back-to-avid/

http://tubularinsights.com/final-cut-pro-x-backlash/

https://motionarray.com/blog/is-final-cut-pro-dead

And looks like it might only just be starting to get market share back from Adobe now:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/apple-final-cut-pro-x-104

And for professionals to be able to use it legally they technically have to buy apple computers or they violate copyright law (like using a pirated version off windows). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

46 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Shhh... Telling someone that there is no magic fairy dust in their Apple products is like telling a child there is no Santa Claus.

He does exist though! He shows up ever year and gives out cucumbers and cheese!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

He does exist though! He shows up ever year and gives out cucumbers and cheese!

You poor bastard, he gave me a welding trolley.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

You poor bastard, he gave me a welding trolley.  

Some times I get socks; those are the better years :D

12 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well all high-end smartphones are overpriced (to an extent). 

And this is why I always buy either the last gen flagship, or, the tier down from the flagship. you get much better bang for your buck. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Some times I get socks; those are the better years :D

better than garlic and  a turnip.

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Not sure if it's worth doing a review on a software package that fell from grace 7 years ago.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/do-professional-editors-care-about-fcpx-anymore-the-backlash/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/01/video-pros-apple-needs-to-acknowledge-the-pro-industry-and-fast/

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/why-final-cut-pro-x-is-sending-me-back-to-avid/

http://tubularinsights.com/final-cut-pro-x-backlash/

https://motionarray.com/blog/is-final-cut-pro-dead

And looks like it might only just be starting to get market share back from Adobe now:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/apple-final-cut-pro-x-104

And for professionals to be able to use it legally they technically have to buy apple computers or they violate copyright law (like using a pirated version off windows). 

Just want that video to shut the fanboys with their "magic optimization" apple does on their products that can bend space and time continuum and bring results far beyond what the hardware they use can deliver.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

how is that better?

There is no dish that doesn't taste and smell amazing after adding that garlic. The turnip is only there to be eaten while you wait for that dish to cook.

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Just want that video to shut the fanboys with their "magic optimization" apple does on their products that can bend space and time continuum and bring results far beyond what the hardware they use can deliver.

Fair enough.  I think we all want that at times.  I just wish people would stop banging on about singular products as if they are the only products around.  Horse for courses and all that shit.  

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The argument essentially boils down to Mac vs PC. FinalCut is only available on the Mac and really you should only be editing with FinalCut on a Mac. 

do you game much on the Mac's children's toys?

In my country people just buys the iphones, there isn't like in the US the ISP's agreements. Who's crazy now :D

12 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Well they already made a sizable profit on it tbh, granted that has a lot to do with how much the phone costs to produce vs its high retail price but still apple still lined their pockets with the thing.

Either way a 1000 dollar phone should not sell like it does, people are weird from my perspective

Well, people are happy to spend well over a grand on laptops. As phones become more powerful and versatile, a lot of people are forgoing getting a computer altogether and just using a smartphone for everything. I'd argue it's more about priorities and what one values. This isn't to say that the X is perfectly priced, just saying that there is a place for these kind of devices. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

<sn1p>

Or accept that there is no ,magic dust inside Mac's that make things run faster. 

Depends how well its hackintoshed. If someone slaps the cheeky old iBoot on there and calls it a day OpenCL acceleration might not even be enabled. It would be nice however, but as we all know buying a Mac is not all about performance aspect but the whole machine, plus marketing. Its pretty much still Apples and Oranges. 

18 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Apple is trying with metal ok. It might get there, might not. To be perfectly honest Apple is on a very interesting trajectory and it might be really good to buy Apple shares in the future. 

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's not just you, any decent smartphone from the past few years is more than capable for most people, so a mid-tier phone is really just as good, unless there is some feature that you really want. The fact is we reached the point of "good enough" a long time ago (iPhone 5/S5 days), and since then we have seen more "life-improvement" features rather than truly necessary features like NFC, wireless charging, better/bigger displays, better cameras, better battery life, smaller bezels, faster SoC, etc... 

Still don't understand why people are saying the Snapdragon 425 is shit. It does everything a damn site better than a Tegra 3 or generic 1.3GHz mediatek quad core. Web browsing for example with Chrome and Firefox is flawless instead of a laggy/crashing/burn your ear off mess. Then again I don't play mobile games on it due to the cost of prepaid data.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

due to the cost of prepaid data.

Have you considered Aldi?  Their prepaid data packs are quite good. $25 for 4G on 4g.

29 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Ah now! Those are lovely with roasts!