LTT in the news! IMac pro video featured in multiple articles from 'news websites'

ZXR
6 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

This whole shitshow seems to be stemming from Linus talking to the wrong / undertrained people and not bothering to take any initiative to get the story straight before making a drama out of it.

Ironically Apple still probably has the best parts-availability of any PC mfg.  Break a Razer or HP or any other brand and let me know how much it costs to ship back to China to be repaired, if they can even offer you that at all.

I broke my Gigabyte motherboard 2 years ago by over tightening my waterblock down onto it.

I contacted the seller as it was brand new and fully admitted it was my fault. The seller advised me to go directly to Gigabyte in order to skip their RMA process (which could add upto a week onto the wait time) and gave me a number to call Gigabyte direct.

I called Gigabyte (and again fully admitted liability) on a Wednesday morning, the board was collected from me by courier on Friday morning and was back in my PC fully repaired by the following Thursday. They charged me £20, £10 for the courier in each direction.

I find it amazing you think everything goes back to China, other companies have authorised repair centres in pretty much every country who have access to parts and can repair things for next to nothing.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Still think Apple's servicing line is balls. 

iMac Pro is out for how long now, and there's still no authorized technician and suitable parts for replacement? 

And some people are just unbelievable. Linus is gaining free publicity to get a free repair?? He offered to PAY for the repair. Plus, he doesn't need more publicity as he's already extremely popular already. I hate fanboys, but every now and then, there's always one person who takes "shilling" to a whole new level 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Apple's support is getting shoddy.

Apple's support has always been shoddy. I seriously do not understand how people can say it is good. Whenever I bring up examples they find excuses like "maybe it was a new person on the job" or "if you beg they is a higher chance they might fix it". Yes, I have actually had someone on this forum tell me that Apple's support is good because if you beg the staff or try a few different ones you might find someone who will help you.

Not to mention that even if you manage to get help, it seems like it's expensive as balls.

"Ohh but you should get the extra warranty!". if you're paying for extra warranty then you can get "good service" from any company.

So other websites like macrumors have caught on and are saying similar things. Why is all the coverage biased towards apple? It's pretty annoying and makes me want to create an LTT news website that treats both sides fairly.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/18/linus-tech-tips-imac-pro-repair-video/

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

18 minutes ago, Zeddex said:

So other websites like macrumors have caught on and are saying similar things. Why is all the coverage biased towards apple? It's pretty annoying and makes me want to create an LTT news website that treats both sides fairly.

tip to make a website unbiased is to have one "neutral" person and two fanboys. should be quite balanced

just one question: did anyone at Apple even bothered to say anything about this?

One a side note this is why i don't think reviewers, Ytubers, etc... should accept offers. If this was a offer Linus would have talked to the PR dude that offered the mac pro and this would probably not have happened. This is a review from the perspective of the consumer and they all should be like this one. I get that smaller channels have to accept offers, not the big ones. @LinusTech

And for all the shit everyone is trowing at Apple (and deserved) they are not the only ones pulling shady stuff at customer care (or don't care) 

16 minutes ago, asus killer said:

just one question: did anyone at Apple even bothered to say anything about this?

One a side note this is why i don't think reviewers, Ytubers, etc... should accept offers. If this was a offer Linus would have talked to the PR dude that offered the mac pro and this would probably not have happened. This is a review from the perspective of the consumer and they all should be like this one. I get that smaller channels have to accept offers, not the big ones. @LinusTech

And for all the shit everyone is trowing at Apple (and deserved) they are not the only ones pulling shady stuff at customer care (or don't care) 

Tbh this is why Linus gives such good props to Asus and consistently uses their products, even though non-buisness/personality Asus support is horrifically crap. Like go out of their way to invalidate warrantees bad.

And honestly. The reason why this is unacceptable is because it's a freaking 5k computer at minimum. Like I've dealt a lot with Dell and HP enterprise, and its unbelievably better than their standard set. If apple wants to go through the prosumer/professional scene, they are going to be judged by those standards. Not by the standards of a budget brand.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Apple's support has always been shoddy. I seriously do not understand how people can say it is good.

I just like to point out that if the products were as good as they claim then they would never know how good apple support was.

Do these people know they need to have issues with their products before they call on support?

In all my years (30 as an enthusiast including 3 working tech support in a shop), I have had to send back one acer laptop (hdd failure) and one watch.  That's it for needing tech support, so I guess apple must have a lot of dodgy products if tech support has a well known reputation (good or bad).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Yeah especially if it has 32gb+ of DDR4

12 hours ago, Valentyn said:

The CPU, RAM and GPU are soldered to the board, so that's one hell of an expensive Mobo.

The CPU and RAM isn’t. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

21 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The CPU and RAM isn’t. 

Thanks! Figured they'd have done the some as the others. Surprised they included normal DIMMs but removed the hatch to expand it yourself.

With the older iMacs they used SODIMMs; but you could just expand as you wanted. 

rYhRsmKHQTg1LN5W.medium

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

14 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Thanks! Figured they'd have done the some as the others. Surprised they included normal DIMMs but removed the hatch to expand it yourself.

With the older iMacs they used SODIMMs; but you could just expand as you wanted. 

rYhRsmKHQTg1LN5W.medium

That picture alone speaks volume as to how shit Apple has become. Its the same story for the iMac mini.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That picture alone speaks volume as to how shit Apple has become. Its the same story for the iMac mini.

I'll hold off until the new Mac Pro is out.

The Mini is dead and gone sadly; I don't see them every doing anything proper with that; just little it fade away.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, Zeddex said:

Its not biased against apple, they were totall buttheads and now they gonna pay the price for it...

Hi community,

Here is the link to the article https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/18/apple-refusing-to-fix-youtubers-imac-pro-claims-low-on-facts-light-on-details

After watching Linus' video: Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro, I was bit shocked by - what I find is - Apple's lack of professionalism. So I just googled the issue and read some articles about it. Then, I stumbled about this biased gem:

Speaking with Apple service staff, though, they reserve this clause for only the worst cases of obvious damage done to a machine by the user when attempting to do something. In this case, Linus Tech Tips destroyed their monitor, and possibly the motherboard as well, necessitating a repair of the two costliest hardware components of the machine.

On what basis can the author claim that? Anthony obviously only dropped the screen! How can one conceive that any damage came the motherboard??

It's just business...

It's great that the channel with over a million subscribers is offering to pay for the repairs — because claiming any kind of manufacturer defect for the repair on it would be straight fraud. But, complaining that Apple wouldn't pave the way for the repair even at the channel's cost makes no sense, and demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge about not just Apple's repair terms and conditions, but how the service system works.

Yeah Linus, you should respect the system, especially when it's as anti-consumer as that. The system is obviously king here, not the customer

Given that a power supply didn't fix the issue, if just the screen and motherboard were shot, not including the processor, AppleInsider has been told that without labor, and with a core part exchange this is a $5200 repair out of warranty on the $4999 base model. There are about three hours of labor involved assuming absolute precision and the fastest technician ever, and at the conservative price of repair labor at $100 per hour for third parties, this turns into a $5500 repair, assuming the shop doesn't mark up any parts, and that there are no other parts or interconnects required beyond the bare minimum.

Are you for REAL? Now you are really considering that the whole motherboard is broken? How can a screen replacement cost more than the whole product?

All in all, this article frustrated me even more than Linus' video. It makes a baseless hypothesis, encourages anti-consumer behavior and just - 5500$ repair... If this article is representative of the average Apple Consumer's point of view, then no wonder Apple has no shame in having such toxic business-model and such a bad support.

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I'd rather see this debacle of Apple refusing to repair a broken iMac Pro be featured in actual news publications and outlets like NYT, CNET, The Verge and even Fox News of all things just to raise awareness that Apple's support is getting shoddy.

The thing is, LTT making a video isn't newsworthy. There is a reason why it's "news outlets" with "Apple" in their names that are treating it as such, and with a very marked defensive (towards Apple) / aggressive (towards LTT) tone: it's not an attempt to report on something worth reporting, but rather an attempt at PR damage control for a popular video that (god forbid) doesn't present Apple in a positive light.

To give an alternative example, when Linus made his "X299 video in the rain", you didn't see any news outlet reporting on "ill informed youtuber fails to grasp the greatness of consumer i5s on $300+ motherboards". Then again, I haven't heard of "news outlets" by the name of "Intel rumors" or "Intel Insider"...

Apple insider is a shill 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

@LinusTech

Please make this a WAN Show topic, people defending Apple on this matter seem to have this perception that you didn't understand how the product worked (which itself is laughable) and they for some reason because you show the product disassembled they can't put themselves in a situation where the product wasn't disassembled.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

-- Duplicate threads merged --

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

24 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The thing is, LTT making a video isn't newsworthy. There is a reason why it's "news outlets" with "Apple" in their names that are treating it as such, and with a very marked defensive (towards Apple) / aggressive (towards LTT) tone: it's not an attempt to report on something worth reporting, but rather an attempt at PR damage control for a popular video that (god forbid) doesn't present Apple in a positive light.

To give an alternative example, when Linus made his "X299 video in the rain", you didn't see any news outlet reporting on "ill informed youtuber fails to grasp the greatness of of consumer i5s on $300+ motherboards". Then again, I haven't heard of "news outlets" by the name of "Intel rumors" or "Intel Insider"...

This and only thing to add is that if publication has news from within Apple (as in stuff that isn't written based on press releases) and can send reporter to the Apple press events, they pretty much need to be brown-nosing Apple a lot. One article that shines bad light on Apple and you can say bye bye to those perks.

I'll say it again.

All those people who say that Linus is a washed-up YouTuber trying to get publicity to potentially get a free repair need a reality check.

Linus offered to PAY for a repair that Apple would most likely consider as D.B.E.R (Damaged Beyond Economical Repair) and this is not his first time tearing one down. He did one before with the 5K Retina iMac.

So, no. He's not inexperienced and he's NOT trying to get publicity for a free repair. He already has a metric whackton of subs and has deals and partnerships with many large corporations already.

I don't hate Apple but I also don't overwhelmingly love them. I only consider their products if they fit my needs and preferences. People shilling for any brand need to calm down. Criticizing a company does not equal hate.

On that note, I've always held the belief that Apple's customer support has become absolute balls, especially after 2011. Where I used to be able to send a Mac in and get it turned around in around a day and even get helpful advice, changing a clearly defective battery on an iPhone (before battery replacement program) would get you a bunch of "Nopes" if it somehow "passes" diagnostics, even if you offer to pay for the repair. I know not all Apple stores do this but I've lately been hearing more horror stories on how mediocre they've become.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1