Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

um I have like 5 old systems they all say pentium except 3 one is a pentium 4 the other 2 are celeron d's then I have 5+ 512 mb ram models ddr2 I have like 4 1 gb ddr2 ram models some old 40 and 80 gigabyte hard drives and 2 512 mb and 2 1 gb ddr400 ram models and these are from old dell computers my dad brought home from the office (for me not him:)). I am also writing this on the system depicted on my profile witch runs ubuntu 18.04.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

oh yeah and a ps/2 mouse.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

A good ol' server slot in card with capacitors that look like candy

IMG_20180418_122522.jpg

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

Now that's retro! :D

I really wanted to find the original board and bring it back to life ?

3 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

What does it do? Can it output to a display?

From what I remember figuring out about it, that's a trunk card for either a switch or router, so the fun networking stuff I love.

9 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Nice! Man, the oldest thing I have is my dad's Pentium III laptop.

Sounds pretty nice. I still think I have my Alienware M5700 somewhere around here. Good ol' Celeron with a GeForce 6800

27 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Wait, why did they put a budget processor with a mid-to high-end GPU?

Well older games weren't as CPU intensive so it wasn't the worst fit, especially including since it was technically the go version so it was only clocked to 300mhz, plus I guess as a selling point? I wasnt their engineers, haha

On 10/26/2018 at 11:20 PM, LukeSavenije said:

it for fun.

laser cut it, thats much funner

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad SL400 with core 2 duo T6670, 4gb sodimm ram and windows 10 pro

It is decent while using it.

Sometimes I browse the internet in it. It runs very smoothly without any hiccups

38 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Holy crap! A laptop based on Core 2 Duo or earlier that actually isn't unusable due to viruses! Congrats on keeping that laptop clean!

It runs rocket league at 10 fps at totally low settings. Me itself tried it.

And yeah it has an in-built fingerprint scanner which works flawlessly.

When I first saw it in 2010 and my age of 8, my uncle had it and was running Windows XP and he travelled to Dubai the same year. But I got that laptop last year and it was running Windows 10 flawlessly.

I'm too shocked when I first saw running flawlessly.

IMG_20181120_102817.thumb.jpg.4b7d1fa991cb86cc0a35e2ac0b8379ad.jpgI have a Lenovo Thinkpad SL400. It packs a Core 2 Duo T6670, 4 gb sodimm ram, surprisingly a fingerprint scanner IMG_20181120_110949.thumb.jpg.bb298f67ef355741d7585090f3a49cb5.jpgand it runs windows 10 perfectly.

Till now no issues using it.

My uncle bought it in 2010 and he travelled to Dubai. And last year I got that laptop running windows 10. It actually shipped with Windows XP but now it runs windows 10. I use it for internet browsing and it handles it perfectly.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, AKSHAYROG said:

10 fps

That is all you need!

I am serious!

A hemp fibre carrying case would be the shits!

hehe.. just threw out an old LS120 in a move.. that was an awesome product, Floppy drive, that read normal floppies and the 120mb versions too, near silent, and FAST (For the time)

11 hours ago, Canada EH said:

That is all you need!

I am serious!

A hemp fibre carrying case would be the shits!

I know it's not enough but I was making an experiment upon that just for fun to see how it can handle latest games today. When I ran rocket league, when I ran it, I gave up my experiment and went to do my other work I had.

So why should I play in that old ThinkPad which gives me 10 fps on rocket league, I have other laptop which handles that game at 4K 30fps.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:20 PM, Schnoz said:

Holy crap! A laptop based on Core 2 Duo or earlier that actually isn't unusable due to viruses! Congrats on keeping that laptop clean!

I have like 3 of those, 2 are still working and 1 is hardwarebased. and computers like 4 with also 1 having a hardware problem (cpu burned I think)

38 minutes ago, campy said:

That's why I still have a working windows 98, 95 and even 2 dos machines. They mostly fail harfwarewise for me, never software

On 12/19/2013 at 4:25 PM, TheTechnerd said:

Today I thought we would do something fun and different. This is a topic about showing of all your old pc parts (or old computers). Feel free to post some pics:) It will be fun:D

Here's some of mine:

20131219_215248_edited.jpg

Kingston Hyperx DDR2 2GB 1066MHz

20131219_221706_edited.jpg

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz

20131219_220612_edited.jpg

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz backside

no hate but in 2013 the core 2 duo was actually not a bad cpu. even by 2018 basic standards 

I recently acquired some iMac G3s, two launch edition Bondi Blues and a white DV SE. I'll send pics soon.

Other vintage computers I own (pics are not mine):

Dell Dimension XPS D333 (Pentium II 333Mhz, 128MB RAM, Matrox video card, Sound Blaster Live!, and a 40GB IBM Deathstar running Windows 98SE)

Image result for dell dimension xps d333

Tandy 3100 Model 10 (Intel 486, 64MB RAM, some sound card, Windows 3.1)

Image result for tandy 3100 model 10

CPU: AMD FX 4170 @ 4.7ghz Motherboard: Asus M5A97-R2.0 RAM: 11GB DDR3-1600 GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 780ti 3GB Reference Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout Storage: 1x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500gb Hitachi 7200RPM  PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W Display: Dell U2410 (1920x1200 @ 60hz, 24") Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, 3x 140mm Cooler Master fan Keyboard: Lenovo OEM keyboard (membrane) Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus Sound: Sound Blaster xFi sound card & Marley Good Vibrations headphones Operating System: Windows 10 1809

Guess who found their Macintosh PowerBook 3400c?? Back when apple went for back breaking and not thin and light.

IMG_20181120_165431.jpg

IMG_20181120_165420.jpg

On 7/20/2018 at 7:09 AM, Inx said:

Retro computers?  My alley!

IBM PS/2 Model 25, heavily modified..  8086 CPU (V30 upgraded), 640KB RAM, 2GB IDE SSD (on a home made XT-IDE card), VGA graphics wired to the internal analog monochrome CRT, and lastly, a DOS/Unix hybrid I have been working on for some time now.  Oh, and it has an Ethernet adapter on the parallel interface, so it does get on the Internet for IRC and FTP access (and HTTP access for retrieving files), oh and telnet of course..  Works good still after all these years.

thats awesome, i have a PS/2 in unknown condition and unknown specs. i wanted to open it but the lock on the back is closed so i cant :( 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

How about a latitude e6430 from 2012 which rocks an Intel legacy processor which I am finally upgrading from this year!

Just now, HamzaFayyaz said:

How about a latitude e6430 from 2012 which rocks an Intel legacy processor which I am finally upgrading from this year!

Not bad. What are the specs?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!