Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

10 hours ago, da na said:

Wow! That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation, never would've guessed

Can we stop using BBC as an abbreviation? The amount of things "BBC" can mean seems to grow every day

seems to grow every day...

SEEMS TO GROW EVERY DAY...

No way. Really? 
I had no clue!

Does the Wii have a CD player like the PS1? Because if so... might be one of if not the only CD player that'll slot load a mini CD.

No clue on this one

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

12 hours ago, luckybob77 said:

seems to grow every day...

hades1.gif.082e04ce3546c79f0557e23ee696231b.gif

you guys are no fun anymore.

6 hours ago, luckybob77 said:

you guys are no fun anymore.

Just get completely bypassed 🤣

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Figured I'd post this here.  Got this inheritance from my dead grandpa who served in the Navy but died of health issues.  This was his first computer.  An IBM 8503-001.  Now it's mine and I wanted to show it off.  Runs off DOS of all things and it's older than me by 20 years.  Apparently it's from 1987!  Which is crazy to think about.  Dunno if it still works but any suggestions on what to do with it would be much appreciated to honor my grandpa.  I think Grandma would love to see this up and running along with my mom.  

IBM Computer-1.jpg

On 4/29/2024 at 10:24 PM, DeepFriedWater316 said:

Figured I'd post this here.  Got this inheritance from my dead grandpa who served in the Navy but died of health issues.  This was his first computer.  An IBM 8503-001.  Now it's mine and I wanted to show it off.  Runs off DOS of all things and it's older than me by 20 years.  Apparently it's from 1987!  Which is crazy to think about.  Dunno if it still works but any suggestions on what to do with it would be much appreciated to honor my grandpa.  I think Grandma would love to see this up and running along with my mom.  

IBM Computer-1.jpg

the 8503 is the model of the monitor.  🙂  

It looks like you have a model 30-8086, wonderful little systems  I have several.  The keyboard is a later Model M, easy to adapt to USB, and will outlive us all.  the monitor is monochrome, but the system is capable of color.  If you wanted to know what kind of games/work you could do on this machine, AS-IS, would likely be text-based games and maybe some of the early CGA era games/programs.

These IBM machines are great work horses.  Most still work.  Some just need a little help and they are good to go again.  That said, the hard drives are made of suck.  its a good 90% chance the hard drive is toast.  The floppy drives are starting to suffer from bad caps.  So that is a 50/50 on working.  Past that, it will likely work just fine.   

There are a LOT of little traps for the uninitiated with IBM machines of this vintage.  You are welcome to ask me questions here, in PM or over at https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php .  These are not as easy as other machines to play with.  IBM was a real jerk, and made some bone headed anti-customer decisions in this part of their history.  But once you get used to their idiosyncrasies, they are really neat machines.  

7 hours ago, luckybob77 said:

CGA era games/programs.

Street Rod.  That runs on anything

9 hours ago, luckybob77 said:

the 8503 is the model of the monitor.  🙂  

It looks like you have a model 30-8086, wonderful little systems  I have several.  The keyboard is a later Model M, easy to adapt to USB, and will outlive us all.  the monitor is monochrome, but the system is capable of color.  If you wanted to know what kind of games/work you could do on this machine, AS-IS, would likely be text-based games and maybe some of the early CGA era games/programs.

These IBM machines are great work horses.  Most still work.  Some just need a little help and they are good to go again.  That said, the hard drives are made of suck.  its a good 90% chance the hard drive is toast.  The floppy drives are starting to suffer from bad caps.  So that is a 50/50 on working.  Past that, it will likely work just fine.   

There are a LOT of little traps for the uninitiated with IBM machines of this vintage.  You are welcome to ask me questions here, in PM or over at https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php .  These are not as easy as other machines to play with.  IBM was a real jerk, and made some bone headed anti-customer decisions in this part of their history.  But once you get used to their idiosyncrasies, they are really neat machines.  

Oh thank you for the information.  I just know the monitor and how old the system was.  After my grandpa served in the Korean war (yeah was an old dude), he used it for tax info and other stuff.  It's a cool piece of family history I don't want to mess with.  My mom also used this so if I broke it she'd loose it.  Also the key to open it is long gone so any chance of opening it up is out the window.  But I will use the CRT with my 4090 just for shits and giggles.  

I can show my 9 years old daily driver

2 hours ago, DeepFriedWater316 said:

Oh thank you for the information.  I just know the monitor and how old the system was.  After my grandpa served in the Korean war (yeah was an old dude), he used it for tax info and other stuff.  It's a cool piece of family history I don't want to mess with.  My mom also used this so if I broke it she'd loose it.  Also the key to open it is long gone so any chance of opening it up is out the window.  But I will use the CRT with my 4090 just for shits and giggles.  

Probably a pretty standard key, should be easy to get one. An older locksmith can probably pick it and cut you a new key or new lock and key for it.

36 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Probably a pretty standard key, should be easy to get one. An older locksmith can probably pick it and cut you a new key or new lock and key for it.

Oh really?  I might look into that then. If I can crack this open I totally can fix it.  Much easier then going to IBM customer support.

38 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I love old tech.  I would happily get this up an running if I can.  I have floppy drives with files on them already. I even have a (totally legit) copy of contra my uncle gave out to me.  I'll probably look more into it this year.

52 minutes ago, DeepFriedWater316 said:

I love old tech.  I would happily get this up an running if I can.  I have floppy drives with files on them already. I even have a (totally legit) copy of contra my uncle gave out to me.  I'll probably look more into it this year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165736375352

Key will look like that style, I think there's only a few different key combos for them. I believe it's called a barrel lock or cam lock, if you call locksmiths that should be the right term for them to understand the kind of lock you're dealing with. Same style locks were used on file cabinets, big printers, pretty much anything in an office in the past.

Well, it looks like I now own a 30GB 5th Gen iPod for the low low price of freeeeeeeeee. To accompany it I bought some wired EarPods at work and used a bunch of my rewards points on it so it only ended up costing me like a dollar and some change (even though I wanted to use that on toner for my printer).

Untitled.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

and i am not sure what to do with it .... multiple options are there, junk my desktop into the case, find a new owner.... just don't wont to drop it into the junkyard ^^

but it is collecting dirt and rust and i need space, need to make a decision in near future

photo_2024-05-01_21-01-00.jpg

photo_2024-05-01_21-00-56.jpg

photo_2024-05-01_21-00-52.jpg

photo_2024-05-01_21-00-31.jpg

Apple_Network_Server_promo.png

13 minutes ago, beaglebox said:

and i am not sure what to do with it .... multiple options are there, junk my desktop into the case, find a new owner.... just don't wont to drop it into the junkyard ^^

but it is collecting dirt and rust and i need space, need to make a decision in near future

photo_2024-05-01_21-01-00.jpg

photo_2024-05-01_21-00-56.jpg

photo_2024-05-01_21-00-52.jpg

photo_2024-05-01_21-00-31.jpg

Apple_Network_Server_promo.png

if you aren't using this and are local to the chicago area of illinois i would love to have it, though i see canadian regulatory markings on it...

elephants

7 minutes ago, WhitetailAni said:

if you aren't using this and are local to the chicago area of illinois i would love to have it, though i see canadian regulatory markings on it...

Germany NRW 😂 sry

1 hour ago, WhitetailAni said:

Hello fellow Chicagoan. I have junk I mean old hardware too. I gave most of it away to someone else local a couple years ago but I'm aging out my DDR3 stuff now and have a little bit of PCI/SDR era stuff. I can collect everything I don't want if you're interested in any of it, you can 'trunk or treat' it somewhere neutral and safe from the back of my Pentium 4 era summertime car. I met the other person at a library parking lot. I'm about an hour south of downtown out in the dark fields but I don't mind driving to meet somewhere closer to you.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I met the other person at a library parking lot.

that was me lol i used to go by fakekgb

elephants

3 hours ago, WhitetailAni said:

that was me lol i used to go by fakekgb

🤡 Well don't I feel silly. Fix that talking Pentium 4 board already! Or else I'll have to come re-claim it, fix it, then give it back to you. 😁

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Hello fellow Chicagoan. I have junk I mean old hardware too. I gave most of it away to someone else local a couple years ago but I'm aging out my DDR3 stuff now and have a little bit of PCI/SDR era stuff. I can collect everything I don't want if you're interested in any of it, you can 'trunk or treat' it somewhere neutral and safe from the back of my Pentium 4 era summertime car. I met the other person at a library parking lot. I'm about an hour south of downtown out in the dark fields but I don't mind driving to meet somewhere closer to you.

Okay slightly off topic, but "Chicagoan."  That's a new one.  What do we call people from Ohio?  I need to know for research purposes and definitely not to use as a weapon against my friends unfortunately from Ohio.  Is it just Ohioan?  

On 4/30/2024 at 12:52 PM, da na said:

Donating an old server since I can't take it with me when I move in a few weeks. Filling every RAM slot, forgot how good 2x3x3 looks.

IMG_20240430_114347_786.thumb.jpg.95c2a13a1f8a828a0ec2045f14950212.jpg

As someone with OCD.  I appreciate this so much.  No gap left unfilled.  Which is why I went for a 4x16 memory config for my 64gb of ddr5 in my daily driver.

My goal now is to fill every drive, PCIe, and cable slot with something until it's completely filled with stuff like soundcard stuff.  I appreciate all the ram sticks!