Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

11 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

*hardware pain*

I hear you, but do you think these things are any good any longer as actual hardware components? at least as functional objects, they'd be a good talking piece, and they'd show iff their original designs, which are pretty cool TBH.

26 minutes ago, GrogStache said:

I hear you, but do you think these things are any good any longer as actual hardware components? at least as functional objects, they'd be a good talking piece, and they'd show iff their original designs, which are pretty cool TBH.

Retro machines are very nice to have as running systems. I've got an Athlon MP system that I'm proud to say still runs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Retro machines are very nice to have as running systems. I've got an Athlon MP system that I'm proud to say still runs.

We all have systems like that. My pentium 4 pc for example. Which is stored for now in a antistatic mobo bag because I used the case to build something else into

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

We all have systems like that. My pentium 4 pc for example. Which is stored for now in a antistatic mobo bag because I used the case to build something else into

I've got an Athlon 64 rig that I'm slowly working on turning into a retro gaming rig, complete with Windows XP. If I'm really lucky, I'd like to get a hard drive with an activated copy of XP on it, since Microsoft is refusing to activate anything from my XP install disk.

I'd like to get more RAM and a better PSU, at which point I can then add my Radeon HD 4850 to it and complete it.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've got an Athlon 64 rig that I'm slowly working on turning into a retro gaming rig, complete with Windows XP. If I'm really lucky, I'd like to get a hard drive with an activated copy of XP on it, since Microsoft is refusing to activate anything from my XP install disk.

I'd like to get more RAM and a better PSU, at which point I can then add my Radeon HD 4850 to it and complete it.

Sounds like a pretty good xp gaming rig. I used to look with my dad at the original doom. That would be great to play on it as an example

Sounds like a pretty good xp gaming rig. I used to look with my dad at the original doom. That would be great to play on it as an example

Definitely, I'd like to get one of the OG Quake games on there as well. Possibly even upgrade to a higher tier Athlon as well, just for bragging rights :D

One thing I would love to do is get top tier gaming rigs from different OS eras, so WinXP, 7, and 10 just for the lulz.

Definitely, I'd like to get one of the OG Quake games on there as well. Possibly even upgrade to a higher tier Athlon as well, just for bragging rights :D

One thing I would love to do is get top tier gaming rigs from different OS eras, so WinXP, 7, and 10 just for the lulz.

Well, 10 is not done yet, so good luck with that. Maybe a win 95/98 one too?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

Well, 10 is not done yet, so good luck with that. Maybe a win 95/98 one too?

98 would pretty quick to pull together, I've already got an Athlon MP system I can use as a base. Just a CPU upgrade and maybe a slight RAM boost and a better GPU would do the trick. I also have a Win98 install disk :D

I'll probably be stuck on AGP for any of the better GPUs from that era, though...

98 would pretty quick to pull together, I've already got an Athlon MP system I can use as a base. Just a CPU upgrade and maybe a slight RAM boost and a better GPU would do the trick. I also have a Win98 install disk :D

I'll probably be stuck on AGP for any of the better GPUs from that era, though...

Sounds like a lot of bragging rights. All that's missing is a dos gaming machine now?

Sounds like a lot of bragging rights. All that's missing is a dos gaming machine now?

Believe me, it's on the list. DOS hardware is gonna be a huge pain to find though, so it'll probably be a long while before that's done.

50 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Retro machines are very nice to have as running systems.

I should mention that the G4 that I pulled these parts from was fried. The PSU went bad, and I am unsure as to the state of any parts other than the heatsink as of now. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Just now, GrogStache said:

I should mention that the G4 that I pulled these parts from was fried. The PSU went bad, and I am unsure as to the state of any parts other than the heatsink as of now. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Ah, that would explain it.

3P7A2734-Edit.thumb.jpg.3bc4c1c696a1375f013ac2a6b126d21f.jpg

Past & Present.

1 hour ago, King Poet said:

Past & Present.

Nice.. Respect your elder!

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

12 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Nice.. Respect your elder!

My 7950 must not have respected its elders enough considering it died a year ago then.

#ShittyLightingGang

IMG_20181207_094416.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

My 7950 must not have respected its elders enough considering it died a year ago then.

#ShittyLightingGang

Yo, I'm actually getting that exact same card from a relative later this month, in working order.

12 years is considered old, right?

Casetek CK-1018, my main case as of now, it was NOS until i got it.

IMG_1926.thumb.JPG.cc788263c0ab286d4663be2c4996c143.JPG

On this pic you can see the QC stamp with the date right under the blue fan:

IMG_1946.thumb.JPG.43eea9f5b5225b36c2ef04ec29624029.JPG

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yo, I'm actually getting that exact same card from a relative later this month, in working order.

Oh, you're getting an XFX DD with the TF3 cooler swapped on too? :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

#ShittyLightingGang

IMG_20181207_094416.jpg

Sleeper much

Just message or quote me if you have questions! I might not be able to answer them, but I might be able to help!

Current PC

Way too crappy to even say.

2 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Oh, you're getting an XFX DD with the TF3 cooler swapped on too? :P

Not that exact one, but a TF3. I wouldn't mind one of the XFX DD coolers, although I'd want one maybe from a newer/better card...

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Not that exact one, but a TF3. I wouldn't mind one of the XFX DD coolers, although I'd want one maybe from a newer/better card...

The one this card has was atrocious. 85-90C while sounding like a jet vs the TF3 that made a mild woosh and stayed around 70-73C (prior to my BIOS mods that made it a little louder but rarely passed 67C).

7 minutes ago, Cameron Goodwin said:

Sleeper much

Not really though? Nothing with a 9600 Pro really qualifies as sleeper unless you shove it into an old AT-era case.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

The one this card has was atrocious. 85-90C while sounding like a jet vs the TF3 that made a mild woosh and stayed around 70-73C (prior to my BIOS mods that made it a little louder but rarely passed 67C).

Should've kept the TF3 lol

Should've kept the TF3 lol

whoopsies ya boi retardfingered it and made "had" change to "has."

Don't be fooled by my inability to type, the card has the TF3 on it. The original cooler was in a scrapyard last time I checked like 2-3 years ago. ? Not that it really matters, because in the end it still died.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just now, flibberdipper said:

whoopsies ya boi retardfingered it and made "had" change to "has."

Don't be fooled by my inability to type, the card has the TF3 on it. The original cooler was in a scrapyard last time I checked like 2-3 years ago. ? Not that it really matters, because in the end it still died.

Haha rip.

I'm interested to benchmark it myself. I've got a variety of games I can throw at it at different resolutions and settings, so it should be fun.

Just now, Schnoz said:

Did the fan die, or what?

If it was just a fan I would still be using it... But one of the VRAM modules died and that quickly took the rest of the card with it to the point where it shows no signs of life. Not that it was really that much of a loss since the card itself was a flaming pile of shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler