Tunnelbear acquired by McAfee

I know LTT has them as a sponsor all the time; I wonder how this'll change their service. They state that they don't plan on killing the service, however, so maybe this will replace McAfee's current VPN offering? I'm not a huge fan of McAfee and haven't used TunnelBear before so I can't comment on their current service but from Luke and Linus talking about it on the WAN show they seem to think it's decent. However, this doesn't seem like a good thing for people who actually care about their privacy; McAfee isn't known for its customer support and consumer focus. I was thinking about using TunnelBear before this but now, I think I'm going to pass.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/08/mcafee-acquires-vpn-company-tunnelbear/

McAfee announced that it has acquired Canada-based virtual private network (VPN) company TunnelBear. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Founded in 2011, Toronto-based TunnelBear has gained a solid reputation for its fun, cross-platform VPN app that uses quirky bear-burrowing animations to bring online privacy to the masses.

The company claims around 20 million people have used its service across mobile and desktop, while a few months back it branched out into password management with the launch of the standalone RememBear app.

McAfee already offers a VPN service called Safe Connect, and it seems McAfee plans to leverage TunnelBear’s “hardened network” there. VentureBeat has also confirmed with McAfee that it plans to keep the TunnelBear brand and standalone apps alive.

“TunnelBear has built an engaging and profitable direct-to-consumer brand, and we’re confident this acquisition will serve both our end users and partners by embedding its best-in-class, hardened network into our Safe Connect product,” said McAfee CEO Christopher Young, in a press release. “This investment is strategic for McAfee’s consumer business as it further showcases our commitment to help keep our customers’ online data and browsing private and more secure at a time when the threat landscape is growing in volume, speed, and complexity.”

EDIT: added some summary to stick with the news posting guidelines; sorry @Crunchy Dragon

Intel Tunnelbear. The shilliest.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess that means time to look for another VPN since I have a feeling McAfee will discontinue it in favor of their own.

Speaking of, any recommendations?

I don't know; I've never used one before but was thinking about signing up after hearing LTT talk about it with good reviews. Now, not so sure what to try :/

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess that means time to look for another VPN since I have a feeling McAfee will discontinue it in favor of their own.

I use PIA, I never trusted TunnelBear

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Damn, I've been using Tunnelbear on my phone for probably 9 months now, I don't want to go find another...

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I know that Jay has been working with Nord for a little while, and has a code for 70% off for a 3 year subscription. Don't use VPNs myself, but it's something to look into.

Well, that's another great thing going to be ditched soon by one of the big guys...

At least tunnelbear ads didn't suck compared to the ones they put in their video's now...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

I know that Jay has been working with Nord for a little while, and has a code for 70% off for a 3 year subscription. Don't use VPNs myself, but it's something to look into.

Yup, Nord was the other one I was leaning towards. 

I wouldn't use Jay's referral code though, unless you really want to help him out.  On their own site Nord gives 72% off on their 2 year plan.  That's more discount and a shorter plan.

Reminds me of this:

xD

27 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Intel Tunnelbear. The shilliest.

Intel only owns 49% now. They spun it off and sold the majority to a private equity firm. Still trash though. 

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Intel only owns 49% now. They spun it off and sold the majority to a private equity firm. Still trash though. 

I know. I just wanted to make an Intel joke. 49% is still plenty of Intel blood.

42 minutes ago, sanosuke001 said:

EDIT: added some summary to stick with the news posting guidelines; sorry @Crunchy Dragon

Just need some personal input now :)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I feel this sums up most of the Tunnelbear userbase:

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just need some personal input now :)

Hopefully that satisfies the benevolent dragon of crunch :P (sorry, @Crunchy Dragon I'm a bit new around here; I did a quick search but didn't see the sticky cause I'm dumb)

1 minute ago, sanosuke001 said:

More like this

oh-shi.gif

Image result for indeed llama

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

6 minutes ago, sanosuke001 said:

Hopefully that satisfies the benevolent dragon of crunch :P (sorry, @Crunchy Dragon I'm a bit new around here; I did a quick search but didn't see the sticky cause I'm dumb)

You're all good now.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

54 minutes ago, sanosuke001 said:

McAfee announced that it has acquired Canada-based virtual private network (VPN) company TunnelBear.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Oh now I'm gonna have Tunnel bear bloatware on laptops now.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing