Tunnelbear acquired by McAfee

I though McAfee didn't actually exist anymore since Intel bought them out? The hell?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Where’s givingtnt’s avatar when I need it?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

But if our great Linus Sebastian (Did I spell that right)

Endorses Tunnelbear

then

It Must Be 70%+ Decent

xD

11 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess that means time to look for another VPN since I have a feeling McAfee will discontinue it in favor of their own.

Speaking of, any recommendations?

https://www.expressrefer.com/refer-friend?referrer_id=9120004&utm_campaign=referrals&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=referral_dashboard

shameless referral link.

best vpn ive ever used. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

16 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess that means time to look for another VPN since I have a feeling McAfee will discontinue it in favor of their own.

Speaking of, any recommendations?

Nord. All the Way.

TunnelBear was decent at best. There are far better options out there (such as PIA) so nothing of value was lost.

7 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yes I agree that ExpressVPN could be one of the best VPNs out there. Too bad it’s $100 but it’s one of the few VPNs that can bypass the great firewall of China and it is probably the one with most servers and countries to choose from. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Yes I agree that ExpressVPN could be one of the best VPNs out there. Too bad it’s $100 but it’s one of the few VPNs that can bypass the great firewall of China and it is probably the one with most servers and countries to choose from. 

yeah. thats the reason I am using it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I was actually planning on getting TunnelBear soon... Guess not anymore.

Now that Tunnelbear is a U.S. based company it has to conform with 'information requests' from the federal government. Then when they tell them 'lol m8 we don't keep logs' they will change their policy or they are going to have to deal with being harassed by them. Did no one at McAfee go 'golly gee jimbo, if we buy this company everyone is going to leave because our privacy practices won't agree with the Tunnelbear userbase'.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, Windows XP Professional, Office 2003 Pro

9 minutes ago, Satisfoxy said:

Now that Tunnelbear is a U.S. based company it has to conform with 'information requests' from the federal government. Then when they tell them 'lol m8 we don't keep logs' they will change their policy or they are going to have to deal with being harassed by them. Did no one at McAfee go 'golly gee jimbo, if we buy this company everyone is going to leave because our privacy practices won't agree with the Tunnelbear userbase'.

This is the 21st century, we cannot make decisions anymore which use common sense.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I use protonVPN. It says that it does not log anything. Under Swiss law they can't log user connections, which is nice. It also comes with Tor support. If you want you can route all your traffic through their tor servers. It's servers are located in Switherland (Which is not in 14 eyes countries), it has world's strongest privacy laws. Datacenter is located undergroung 1000 meters.

Take a look at more information about it.

https://protonvpn.com/secure-vpn

It speed is unlimited. Thus they do not log it.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:10 AM, sanosuke001 said:

I know LTT has them as a sponsor all the time; I wonder how this'll change their service. They state that they don't plan on killing the service, however, so maybe this will replace McAfee's current VPN offering? I'm not a huge fan of McAfee and haven't used TunnelBear before so I can't comment on their current service but from Luke and Linus talking about it on the WAN show they seem to think it's decent. However, this doesn't seem like a good thing for people who actually care about their privacy; McAfee isn't known for its customer support and consumer focus. I was thinking about using TunnelBear before this but now, I think I'm going to pass.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/08/mcafee-acquires-vpn-company-tunnelbear/

EDIT: added some summary to stick with the news posting guidelines; sorry @Crunchy Dragon

TunnelBear has now beer removed from all devices, browsers, and phones / tablets in my household, and will never be recommended again by me. M Security is like fight club: we don't talk about M security.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

22 hours ago, ElfFriend said:

press f to pay respects. *f*

PIA has great functionality, but I could not find anything that would make it any more trustworthy than others. Am I missing something?

This is not a good thing, can I unread this article please?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

On 8.3.2018 at 5:37 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Yup, Nord was the other one I was leaning towards. 

I wouldn't use Jay's referral code though, unless you really want to help him out.  On their own site Nord gives 72% off on their 2 year plan.  That's more discount and a shorter plan.

I did purchase the 2-year plan and I am happy so far. I can watch BBC content even tho they blocked some  (bigger) VPN providers.

Does anyone have any experiences with Cloak? I have heard nice things about it, including the ability to automatically turn itself on when connecting to a new WiFi network. 

I am using ProtonVPN for a while now. They have a pretty neat mobile app and even some free servers with unlimited data.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan