Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 hours ago, IPD said:

I can't envision how this device works, let alone what you are thinking of.

Cable straps are another option.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perko-Polymer-Cable-Strap-0196DP1/309595264

Could even pair it with a loom cover, if you feel the cable needs to be separated from whatever is mounting it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-3-8-in-and-1-2-in-Flex-Tubing-7-ft-and-10-ft-Combo-Pack-FLX-538C10/205588197

The long part gets taped into the harness. No offense but I can really tell who's worked on cars and who hasn't by the confusion over this 😅

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The long part gets taped into the harness. No offense but I can really tell who's worked on cars and who hasn't by the confusion over this 😅

As a general rule, I avoid adhesive in the engine bay if I can help it.  Nor does everyone use GM-standard fasteners.  Nor does pretty much any of the work I've done on cars involve replacing/moving a wiring harness.

Ok, worked on automotive electrical or more than basic parts replacement work. That better?

Way more than GM use tape in tie downs, it's pretty standard on every wire harness in every car and probably airplanes, boats, etc.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:55 AM, bcredeur97 said:

I agree with you, but fast EV's are pretty cool too. I love the mechanical simplicity as well, and the efficiency of electric motors. I do think the batteries are the biggest issue and practically they serve little use outside of city commuting. 

I think the political side of things is just trying to push them too hard instead of letting things happen naturally. Which is almost always bad. EV's will be the obvious choice one day soon I'm sure. But not just yet, no sense in pushing them so hard.

ICE cars are basically frozen in time though there won't really be anything new in that space for the foreseeable future. So what we have now is what we got. Everything new seems to be electric. 

I still wish diesel hybrids would of been a thing more people experimented with outside of the 2 BMW's

Volvo did a diesel PHEV ... sadly they went for a petrol based one after that .. guessing mainly cause emissions regulations are very fucky when they are stricter for diesels ... yet looser for phevs 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Abomination in the shop today.

IMG_20220926_110824.jpg

Well it is one of those brands people get for image, so it's a lot more likely to happen.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

IMG_20220926_110824.jpg

Wait… that’s a Volvo engine. What LR is this? Lol I don’t even know. Is it the evoque or something? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Transverse straight six, neat.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Wait… that’s a Volvo engine. What LR is this? Lol I don’t even know. Is it the evoque or something? 

LR2, it's like the least Land Rover besides the FreeLander.

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Apparently a Freelander, aka the LR2 on the US of A.

I got ninja'd 🙂

Edited by JoaoPRSousa

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

HER mechanic says they fixed the oil leak and nothing else was wrong with the car, but she asked us to check the brakes which are like fucked. Inner rotor faces are maybe using 20% of the surface the rest is rust and well you can see what's up with the rear shocks. Might need top mounts too but I'm not taking shit apart to see cause I doubt she's buying anything from us. Also you get to gaze upon my majesty while I hump this car, peasants.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

HER mechanic says they fixed the oil leak and nothing else was wrong with the car, but she asked us to check the brakes which are like fucked. Inner rotor faces are maybe using 20% of the surface the rest is rust and well you can see what's up with the rear shocks. Might need top mounts too but I'm not taking shit apart to see cause I doubt she's buying anything from us. Also you get to gaze upon my majesty while I hump this car, peasants.

Couple grand would go a long way probably lol 

it won’t get done though and car will prob get dumped soon if I had to guess

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

Inner rotor faces are maybe using 20% of the surface the rest is rust

Nice to see thats a continuing feature

received_3187572738179300.jpeg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

19 hours ago, Bitter said:

We told her to dump it like a year ago, nah she'll keep driving it.

We called her two days ago to come get it, can't get ahold of her now lol. She'll probably call tomorrow and ask if it's done yet, not the brightest marble.

Almost have all the parts now. Waiting on a 3/8th stainless through hull boat fitting to get IAC air from the intake pipe, a 1/2 stainless through hull fitting for breather air, a step drill bit, and 1/2 aluminum coil fuel line. I've got my wire and tube holders, 3/8th aluminum fuel line, some 3/8th trans/oil hose, some 1/2 trans/oil hose, 2 70mm 90 deg pipes, the 90mm 90 deg, all my couplings, enough clamps, and a catch can which I may not bother using since my stock intake had almost no oil in it. I'll have a long 5 day weekend coming up so I'll double down and try to get it assembled and running,only thing I'm missing is some tube or hose for the evap line to the intake manifold.

There’s at least 1 McLaren P1 lost in Florida I saw.

Seemed like an idiot posting pics of him shopping for hurricane supplies with it, and then showing it underwater in his front driveway

like as if he couldn’t of shipped it away lol… you literally get days to prepare 

77BC0EE8-BB6A-4B24-9D08-902D51535EC3.jpeg

080C2FDB-9189-4445-B8EE-7EC834BBD26F.jpeg

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's photoshopped, poorly too. 

Oh. Guess I’m the idiot then 

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Oh. Guess I’m the idiot then 

I'll be surprised if it's real, looks pretty fake to me.

Looks real to me. Theres water in the body line area near the spoiler.

Regardless, you shouldn't be able to own one of those if you are a "Florida man"

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Looks real to me. Theres water in the body line area near the spoiler.

Regardless, you shouldn't be able to own one of those if you are a "Florida man"

So I got curious, some of the file data suggested it's from an old (2017) iphone and photoshop shows up in the data as well,maybe just used to resize? I'm not a digital photo forensics expert.

Brake Upgrade on my 1993 Taurus SHO.

To make this work you need the knuckles, calipers, rotor and caliper brackets from a gen 4 taurus.

This is a fairly substantial increase in braking performance, especially when paired with Hawk HPS pads. 

The old rotor is 10" or so in diameter. The new rotor is 11.6" in diameter and offers a much larger sweep area as well. 

Parts required:

image.thumb.jpeg.824da2825d1e2ce9455ef78f5a594ae1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0bf2065319d47b240c1b8b856aa93702.jpeg

11.6" rotor

image.thumb.jpeg.7c0881b6fc65200152ee50ca186fb943.jpeg

hi flow Y-pipe and full length subframe connectors (welded)

image.thumb.jpeg.c7d661c12ba5a1c47e6a7f926a4a6c51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.88ab0427ba686bbf7e45edc40b808a1d.jpeg

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

So I got curious, some of the file data suggested it's from an old (2017) iphone and photoshop shows up in the data as well,maybe just used to resize? I'm not a digital photo forensics expert.

Yeah I cropped and resized the photo 

still rocking an iPhone X lol

Spoiler