Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

That number is so low I wouldn't be surprised if they are manipulating the data. Remember, EVs and their future are reliant on a political point of view, and if that image is tarnished in any way it could do damage to their pursuit to end fossil fuel use. 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

13 minutes ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

That number is so low I wouldn't be surprised if they are manipulating the data. Remember, EVs and their future are reliant on a political point of view, and if that image is tarnished in any way it could do damage to their pursuit to end fossil fuel use. 

I agree with you, but fast EV's are pretty cool too. I love the mechanical simplicity as well, and the efficiency of electric motors. I do think the batteries are the biggest issue and practically they serve little use outside of city commuting. 

I think the political side of things is just trying to push them too hard instead of letting things happen naturally. Which is almost always bad. EV's will be the obvious choice one day soon I'm sure. But not just yet, no sense in pushing them so hard.

ICE cars are basically frozen in time though there won't really be anything new in that space for the foreseeable future. So what we have now is what we got. Everything new seems to be electric. 

I still wish diesel hybrids would of been a thing more people experimented with outside of the 2 BMW's

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

EV's shouldn't be concentrated in the car segment.  The bread & butter place they will be of greatest benefit, feasibility and sense--is commuter motorcycles.  Not commuter bicycles.  Something a bit upscale from a city-bike or moped, but lower than a road bike or maxi-scoot.  And under 10 grand.

The barrier to entry for a legitimate EV shouldn't cost you a down payment on a house, goddammit.  I'm looking at you, Harley Davidson and Zero.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

EV's shouldn't be concentrated in the car segment.  The bread & butter place they will be of greatest benefit, feasibility and sense--is commuter motorcycles.  Not commuter bicycles.  Something a bit upscale from a city-bike or moped, but lower than a road bike or maxi-scoot.  And under 10 grand.

The barrier to entry for a legitimate EV shouldn't cost you a down payment on a house, goddammit.  I'm looking at you, Harley Davidson and Zero.

By the time that exists, you'll have the choice between that or a jetpack to get back to your cushy Martian bungalow.

7 hours ago, theninja35 said:

By the time that exists, you'll have the choice between that or a jetpack to get back to your cushy Martian bungalow.

Well that's why I'm gambling with ordering directly from a company that doesn't have a presence in the USA.

<$10,000 has been the entry-level market for motorcycles for an eternity.  It's where you sell a product priced to entice people to try something different--because it's not so expensive that they're really risking a lot if they end up not liking it.  Kill 2 birds with one stone by offering an electric in that segment.  Makes far more sense than asking someone to give up reliable cross-country transportation and buy something for $50,000 that has considerable drawbacks--unless you are only using it for commutes.

17 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

random weird question; has anyone ever tried putting a (hydraulic) torque converter instead of a clutch in front of a manual transmission? 

You would need a way to release the driveshaft connection between shifts. If you have power on all the time you'd have to rev match every single shift. It would be really hard on the syncros. 

And if your RPM fell below torque converter stall speed you'd start slowing down. 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

25 minutes ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

You would need a way to release the driveshaft connection between shifts. If you have power on all the time you'd have to rev match every single shift. It would be really hard on the syncros. 

And if your RPM fell below torque converter stall speed you'd start slowing down. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_Drive

Alright, I can't think of a term for something I need to buy. You know on wire harnesses when there's a plastic bit taped into the harness that has a barb or eyelet to hold the harness down to a bolt, stud, or hole somewhere? I need a few of those to clean up the harness on the Celica and tie it down nicely when I wrap it all up in Tessa tape. I can't figure out the right word to search to buy them! Suggestions?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800503416511.html

Like 10,11,12 but with an eyelet to bolt through or attach to a stud?

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Honda also used a fluid clutch on their early CVTs, eliminating the torque converter. When they start going bad they will shutter on takeoff. Have to disassemble the transmission to replace it. I've done a few.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

Honda also used a fluid clutch on their early CVTs, eliminating the torque converter. When they start going bad they will shutter on takeoff. Have to disassemble the transmission to replace it. I've done a few.

Yeah I guess no need for a torque converter that multiples torque when you're just going right into a CVT?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Yeah I guess no need for a torque converter that multiples torque when you're just going right into a CVT?

That was the theory. Newer CVTs use a torque converter. This was used in the Insights and Civic hybrids in the early 2000s. If you change out the battery you have to learn the start stop clutch by doing multiple mid throttle pulls with the headlights on lol

Not sure about the new E-CVTs that aren't actually CVTs but are called a CVT anyway.... Haven't had any issues yet.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Alright, I can't think of a term for something I need to buy. You know on wire harnesses when there's a plastic bit taped into the harness that has a barb or eyelet to hold the harness down to a bolt, stud, or hole somewhere? I need a few of those to clean up the harness on the Celica and tie it down nicely when I wrap it all up in Tessa tape. I can't figure out the right word to search to buy them! Suggestions?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800503416511.html

Like 10,11,12 but with an eyelet to bolt through or attach to a stud?

Those are all automotive push pins of some time, methinks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363159528975

6 minutes ago, IPD said:

Those are all automotive push pins of some time, methinks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363159528975

Close, but I'm looking for something with an eyelet to set over a stud or under a bolt. If I can't find something I'll make my own from some sheet metal but I figured I'd take the easy way out and buy something. I only need a few so making some won't be a huge task I'm just lazy.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

As opposed to just using a regular zip tie?

Yes, it's hard to zip tie a wire harness under the head of a bolt and then tighten the bolt down onto the valve cover or elsewhere, the ziptie tends to squirm out from under the head of the bolt and being rotated 90 degrees it pulls on the harness unevenly and digs into the wires on one edge. It's pretty jank, I like to avoid having an engine bay held together with zipties. I mean you see the picture of my soldering, heat shrink, and tesa tape, it's a bit shit because I didn't properly stagger the solder joints!

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yes, it's hard to zip tie a wire harness under the head of a bolt and then tighten the bolt down onto the valve cover or elsewhere, the ziptie tends to squirm out from under the head of the bolt and being rotated 90 degrees it pulls on the harness unevenly and digs into the wires on one edge. It's pretty jank, I like to avoid having an engine bay held together with zipties. I mean you see the picture of my soldering, heat shrink, and tesa tape, it's a bit shit because I didn't properly stagger the solder joints!

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Cable-Ties-Mounts-s/59.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=59&show=45&page=1

I know what you are talking about, its just extremely difficult to find them. They're often used on Fords. If Toyota uses them they sell individual parts of harnesses.

55 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Close, but I'm looking for something with an eyelet to set over a stud or under a bolt. If I can't find something I'll make my own from some sheet metal but I figured I'd take the easy way out and buy something. I only need a few so making some won't be a huge task I'm just lazy.

Something like this? 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-8-in-UV-Mounting-Cable-Tie-Black-10-Pack-GTM-200STB-10/203531941

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I can't envision how this device works, let alone what you are thinking of.

Cable straps are another option.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perko-Polymer-Cable-Strap-0196DP1/309595264

Could even pair it with a loom cover, if you feel the cable needs to be separated from whatever is mounting it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-3-8-in-and-1-2-in-Flex-Tubing-7-ft-and-10-ft-Combo-Pack-FLX-538C10/205588197

On 9/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, IPD said:

VTEC will never give the performance of twin-scroll turbo.

The sky is blue, grass is green, and VTEC will never give the performance of a twin-scroll turbo, you can expect all of this in today's episode of, STATING THE OBVIOUS!