A little behind the times, looking to upgrade, need advice on power supplies

crazyjr

Hi guys, been a while since I posted, seeking advice on power supplies.

Current build is an Asrock B450M A/C a Ryzen 1600 AF (the zen plus version). Nvidia 1060 3 GB SC 2 TB HDD (Movies and picture storage) and 500 GB SSD (main system here) a Blu Ray Drive(for ripping DVD's) 16 GB of timetech RAM 2400 MHZ speed and a 450W Evga 80+ bronze power supply.

My plan is to step up to the 5k series AMD CPU (keeping the same MB),, not sure exactly which one (leaning towards 5700X though) and a GPU upgrade. Probably a 20 series or an RX 5K model (Hate buying new after their greed shown through, rather buy used and not support them) and a few other things (ram, bigger SSD ECT)Pretty much got everything sorted except the Power supply. I was loyal to EVGA but since they are no longer around, I seek advice on a new good solid Power supply. I considered Gigabyte, but the Newegg debacle killed my desire to use them. Looking for something in the 550W to 600+Watt range, Price is a consideration, but rather pay a little more for something solid.

As always appreciate any info you can share

If you're upgrading, go to the 5700x3d.  Best chip for gaming for the dollar.

as for a PSU:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Look for A or B Tier.  (Note: the page is a bit out of date, but the spreadsheet linked near the top is current, so you can look there for more.)

650W should easily be had for 80$# or less 

country?

budget for full upgrade?

5700x3d is a drop in upgrade and among the best gaming cpus atm

ram is slow but should be ocable to atleast 3200 even if its garbage mfr, can confirm ic if you send thaiphoon burner screenshot

psu depends on budget but considering that you are looking at generations old i assume used gpus probably wanna buy a 50$ 650w bronze unit or a 50$ used 850w rm(x) or equivalent as you can put the money to a better gpu instead of something you wont notice

i always recommend corsair rmx 650w... rock solid, affordable,  handles transient spikes well, reliable. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

country?

budget for full upgrade?

5700x3d is a drop in upgrade and among the best gaming cpus atm

ram is slow but should be ocable to atleast 3200 even if its garbage mfr, can confirm ic if you send thaiphoon burner screenshot

psu depends on budget but considering that you are looking at generations old i assume used gpus probably wanna buy a 50$ 650w bronze unit or a 50$ used 850w rm(x) or equivalent as you can put the money to a better gpu instead of something you wont notice

Country USA

To be honest, i'm not a big gamer or streamer, the upgrade is more to avoid EOL's than actual gaming ability. I play a lot of FTP games like Warframe and World of Warships, which depending on settings can be run on a potato and a lemon.

The upgrade will be slow, as money permits. The reason I ask about the PS is my EVGA 450w bronze is about 5-6 years old and sometimes when I restart it doesn't want to without hitting the switch (reseting it), makes me a little nervous it'll just decide to not restart one day. being loyal to EVGA at least on power supplies, not sure what is good. So the PS will be first and other pieces added as needed.

You are right RAM is a bit slow, this rig was built during the covid shortages, so settled on what I could get. While I do like the X3d CPU's I really don't feel I need one the 5700 (X or non X) might even be overkill, but the price on Amazon is nice  (5700X is currently $138.00). My plan is to get 3200 mhz RAM to replace the 2400,  got 4 slots so maybe go 32 GB as well.

As far as GPU like you said i'm leaning towards 5K or 6K series used, I will not support buying new after the lies and greed from all of the GPU guys Heard good things from the 5700 and 6600 and the prices look good

Like i said i don't play the big heavy games, just a casual gamer and mostly a browser and youtube person. Thank you for the input.

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i always recommend corsair rmx 650w... rock solid, affordable,  handles transient spikes well, reliable. 

yeah I've heard good thing about them as well, Thank you